1950 champ radio removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 champ radio removal

looking at the Stude repair manual, there is nothing that I can find regarding the radio removal. It is for a 1950 Champ. Any help on information is appreciated.

Apparently there was a separate manual or booklet for the radio, because it isn't even mentioned in the shop manual. Its been a while since I took mine out, but its pretty straightforward:
    1. Disconnect power lead at the inline fuse
    2. Disconnect antenna lead
    3. Unscrew two screws on the bottom front of the radio
    4. Disconnect a hook thats attached to the back of the radio (I still haven't figured out where that hook connects to the firewall [B)])
    I think thats all that it takes to get it out, but, as I said, its been a while since mine came out, and I haven't tried to put it back yet. By the way, the speaker is inside the radio, not mounted to the dash behind the screen. Good luck!

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

It's really easy to remove and reinstall. I took mine out and sent it to a guy in NY to fix, and just put it back in last month. The only tricky thing is watching the piece of rubber on the front to make sure you don't tear it off when you reinstall it. Good luck....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Piece of rubber!?! Mine just had "tar" (maybe it was foam rubber before it melted?) around the speaker opening. Where was this piece of rubber?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
        Holdrege NE
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

It's in front of the speaker. It's about an inch thick and is in the shape of a circle or oval. I believe it's to cushion the front of the radio from the inside of the dash. Mine was falling off when I removed the radio but the guy who fixed the radio glued it back on....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

Don't worry Lothar, a very special few of us have tarry radios instead of those cheapy rubber ones. Maybe they were re-roofing the plant and had extra tar for a while.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

IF the '50 radio is like the 47-49s, (and I think it is) and it has a center pre-set knob, you have to push that in to clear the bottom of the dash upon removal. Removing the cardboard glovebox also helps give nice access, visually and physically.

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

removed the radio today. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Hello
                  Same question for a Starliner 54' Commander.
                  Thanks for your help.

Comment

Would have been best to start a new thread. If RadioRoy doesn't come along soon, private message him.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

The "tar" used to be rubber when it was new. Its purpose is to direct the sound from the front of the speaker towards the listener and attenuate any sound coming from the rear of the speaker. The rear of the speaker sound is out of phase with the front of the speaker and will tend to cancel out some of the bass notes.

The 54 radio is mounted by two screws pointing up from the under side of the dash, plus the large nuts under the volume and tuning knobs.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

62 lark radio

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                        The "tar" used to be rubber when it was new. Its purpose is to direct the sound from the front of the speaker towards the listener and attenuate any sound coming from the rear of the speaker. The rear of the speaker sound is out of phase with the front of the speaker and will tend to cancel out some of the bass notes.

The 54 radio is mounted by two screws pointing up from the under side of the dash, plus the large nuts under the volume and tuning knobs.
                        Hi, the radio on my Lark was working intermitantly and then finally quit altogether. I tried to take it out but was unable to. Got it all disconnected but it"s still wedged between the front and back. Any tricks to get it out?

Comment

If your Lark has the glove box under the radio, that cardboard glove box must be removed first.

The Lark radios generally mount by two large nuts, one on each knob shaft (manual tuning and volume) and there is also a bracket on the rear or side of the radio.

If everything is disconnected, you can generally lower the back of the radio and see the knob shafts pull out from the dash.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Roy, I’ve sent you two PM’s and also two emails per your request , still haven’t heard from you. Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                              Roy, I’ve sent you two PM’s and also two emails per your request , still haven’t heard from you. Tim
                              Tim,
                              I got some PM's and replied asking for an email. Haven't gotten any emails from you and nothing in my SPAM filter either. I wonder what's going on.

My email address is in my profile.

There seems to be more PM's from other folks and I have not gotten the email notices about them, like I used to. The settings are still OK, so maybe something is fishy in the system.
                              Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-13-2018, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X