Ross Steering Box Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross Steering Box Fluid

Am getting a rebuilt Ross steering box fitted this week and need to know what to lubricate it with.

Previous postings suggest Extreme pressure grease, seem to think some kind of oil is in the old one.

Suggestions please: something like Mobil which will be available in Australia would help.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

John,
    IIRC, you want something with the consistency of liquid honey - liquid enough to lubricate and thick enough so it stays in the box... something like around a 140 weight oil. Of course, SI sells the specific steering box lubricant, but that's certainly not too convenient for you.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

BTW Mark, I believe the original semi-fluid oil was heavier then 140 weight.

I've always done this on my cars:

A) take and mix in a blender or mixer bowl about 50% white grease and 50% STP, depending on climate and actual mix maybe add a little streight 140 weight gear oil.

B) Years ago from an estate I was given a can of NOS 1930's very think semi-fluid oil for Model T Ford rear axles. Since I got this stuff I haven't had the need to make my own. Maybe you could find a similar product down there.

Comment

Use CV-joint lube. It's a highly viscous paste with plenty high pressure lubricant for sliding surfaces and the proximity of the steering box to the exhaust manifolds will keep it fluid when required.

Bob Johnstone

55 President State Sedan
        64 GT Hawk
        70 Avanti (R3)
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Used the SI lubricant, one of our local members sells it. She steers great now.

John Clements
          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
          Secretary Studebaker Car Club of SA (as of 3/19/08)
          Lockleys South Australia

John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Mobil SHC634, looks like STP but is a synthetic gear oil.

Comment

Working...
            X