batwing crossmember?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• batwing crossmember?

Can anyone tell me what this does fit? Would it work on a 53 coupe?

San antonio TX. 53 Champion Coupe, to be brought back from the dead.
    "Of course it will fit, I have a torch"

I don't know what THAT batwing fits, but that number he gives (1547767) is for a different crossmember altogether - not a batwing.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It looks just like the one in the 55 champion sedan I am working on. Did the C-K have the double humps? I have a couple that came out of c-k cars and they don't have the double humps.
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

54K, My 54 hardtop has only one hump, on the passenger side, but it was originally a six cylinder vehicle.

I would suggest you ask the seller to measure the distance between several bolt holes and compare those measurements to your 53.

If the measurements will allow it to bolt up, the angles and other variations should be do-able with a cutting wheel and MIG.

I can't imagine that Studebaker made many changes in the Batwing when they didn't change many frame dimensions.

JMO, Bob

Comment

That number is NOT for any C/Ks.. and it will NOT fit. If he is going by "Stude vendor" info, the vendor is WRONG.

That number is in the 59-64 chassis book... as the crossmember for various lark-type Studebakers 1959-1964.
          It will most likely work on '55-up sedans...but I don't have that book handy.

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
          Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
          Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Thanks guys. I have a 54 frame, with the batwing, but it needs a little work and it's from a 6 cyl car, only 1 hump. Just thought a new 2 hump would be better.

Comment

the C-Ks never had the hump on the driver's side. The exhaust pipe curves up and over the x-member. If you want a straighter exhaust you'll have to modify your x-member.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

my 63 six lark has the double hump in it. g.l. mc vey

Comment

Thanks Nate, ends that speculation.

Comment

Working...
                  X