Distributor 50 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor 50 Champion

My 50 Studebaker had a bad Engine. I got a rebuilt engine from Cathcart. When I went to install my old distributor I could not time the engine. The vacuum advance would hit the block when I turned it to the left and could not time it all the way. Cathcart sent me a 51 distributor and it did ok. After I got the engine to run,it ran good, except when I took it out on the road.It would make alot of noise.I remove or disconected the advance and it drove fine.I tryed to make the spacers adjustment on the vacuum advance but could not get I right. Qus.is. Is it ok to drive without the advance? If not what is the proper way adjust the advance? Do you just keep adding or taking away the spacers?,then driving it untill it sounds ok? I took the old advance off the old distributor and used it on the new distributor,but that didn't work.

Jeff

1950 Champion business coupe

Jeff,
    What do you mean "it would make a lot of noise"? Where is the noise coming from? Also, what spacers are you talking about?

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Jeff,
      What do you mean "it would make a lot of noise"? Where is the noise coming from? Also, what spacers are you talking about?

Well the noise was the engine was knocking and the spacers are the adjustment made to the spring on or in the vacuum advance.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Jeff

Comment

The only reason that a Champion engine cannot be timed because of the Dist. hitting the generator or block or whatever, is that the oil pump gears were not timed to TDC on the Dist. on assembly.

However with all of Bill's Champion 6 experience that seems unlikely, but I guess we are all human after all!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

The only reason that a Champion engine cannot be timed because of the Dist. hitting the generator or block or whatever, is that the oil pump gears were not timed to TDC on the Dist. on assembly.

However with all of Bill's Champion 6 experience that seems unlikely, but I guess we are all human after all!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          So why did the 51 Dist. work and the 50 didn't. The old dist.vacuum advance out of my old engine would just hit the block when I would get close the the right timing. When I look at the manual it showed the vacuum advance to be about 11 oclock. I thought the same about the gears,but Bill said no. So when he sent me a diffrent dist. it work ok. Is using the spacers or shims against the spring in the vacuum advance the way to advance the timing or retard the timing, and is it done by try and errow? Did later engines use a different dist?

Jeff.

Comment

Jeff,
            I haven't checked the shop manual, but I have never had to mess with the vacuum advance on a distributor unless it was to replace it completely. I don't know why it should be necessary unless the engine had some odd operating conditions.
            In regard to the distributor not fitting that does sound like a problem with the distributor drive not being properly timed to the engine,but as was said it's hard to imagine Cathcart messing that up. You've got a real puzzler. Cases like this make me wish I was close enough to get involved directly.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Can anyone tell me what to do about the problem I'm having with the timing?

Thanks Jeff

Comment

I'm not sure whether this would be relevant, but, since no one else mentioned it, I will point out that Studebaker switched distributors (from Autolite IGC 4805 to Autolite IAT 4001) and vacuum advance mechanisms (from external to integral) mid-way through the 1950 model year. I don't think that they changed anything about the connecting shaft to the oil pump, though.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                Holdrege NE
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lothar

I'm not sure whether this would be relevant, but, since no one else mentioned it, I will point out that Studebaker switched distributors (from Autolite IGC 4805 to Autolite IAT 4001) and vacuum advance mechanisms (from external to integral) mid-way through the 1950 model year. I don't think that they changed anything about the connecting shaft to the oil pump, though.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                  Holdrege NE
                  So what is the main diffrents on the two? Does it change any vacuum setup on the 50 using 4001 from a 4805? And what about driving it without the advance connected? It seems to drive ok but I think it is running a little rich.

Jeff

Comment

The difference in the vacuum advances is that one (IGC-4805) mounts on a bracket connected to the distributor, the other (IAT 4001) mounts directly on the side of the distributor. The differences that I can think of would be the length of the diaphragm connecting rod and (maybe) the length of the vacuum pipe. I don't think you can mix and match between the two vacuum advances on the two different distributors because they mount differently.
                    as far as driving without the vacuum advance, or with a non-functional one, you would see hesitation and mushiness during acceleration, which I suppose could make it seem like its running too rich. Don't leave that vacuum pipe disconnected, though. You could suck who knows what into your intake manifold.

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
                    Holdrege NE
                    John
                    1950 Champion
                    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                    Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                    X