Avanti ballast resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti ballast resistor

Anybody know what ballast resistor to use in my R1 Avanti? The Avanti site mentions an RU 11, which I bought. However, with the ignition on the resistor begins to smoke. It is either burning itself in or burning itself up, I'm not sure which. I did disconnect the battery before it damaged the resistor. Would the wrong coil cause this problem also? Or, is that break in smoke to be expected?
    Any prior experience out there?

i've seen a new resistor smoke a bit as it burns off any oil that may have accumulated on it. Can't tell you what the exact resistance value should be, though. Shop manual doesn't specify.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Depends if you have transistor ignition or not.
      if nor, it depends if the points are open or closed.
      Transistor ignition was an option on Avanti but many failed and were bypassed.
      You say in your post "ballast resistor" so I assume that it was transistor ignition,
      There is an ignition coil resistor(1550556) (NAPA IC-23) in conventional ignitions. ( Sasco stock those also)
      Input 12 volt , output 12 volt with points open ,7.5 volt with points closed or engine running,

Comment

Mr. Bove,
        I assumed you were dealing with standard points and coil, and probably are.

If it is transistorized ignition, I have accumulated a bit of literature obtained directly from Prestolite in the early to mid 70's. A trade of copies would be in order for a Popular Science or Popular Mechanics on Studebaker chambered exhaust.

The exchange could be made at a neutral territory, perhaps the Bob Pool Orphan Show in a couple of weeks.

By the way, your previous inquiry on the ignition resistor bypass, no one mentioned that that wire should probably be fused where it initiates at the solenoid. If you think about it, would you want a supposed #16 or #18 wire to have the capacity to draw 450 amps or more directly from the battery should it ground. You could not unhook it quick enough, even though power is applied only when the starter relay is engaged.

Best regards,
        Mr. Robino

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
        Here are two links for some pictures and information.
        Slide Show
        Magazine Article
        sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

I doubt that resistors go bad very often. In my case,my new ballast resistor smoked and failed immediatly. I found that the brand new coil had shorted internally.It was interesting that the only marking on the coil was a part number (No manufacturer's mark) and obviously came from China.I have been told that there is nobody making coils in this country any longer, it has been many years since the domestic Auto industry has used what you & I think of as a coil. Think about it. Who could afford to make them here today? Bosch still makes them in Germany though. You are better off with an old used one or looking for a NIB from a swap meet.I opted for a new Bosch that had an internal resistor & I eliminated the external resistor.

'64 R2 back on da road again
          POCI,SCCA,SIMTA
          '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Mine smoked like the Marlboro man the first time I turned it on. Let her go, it'll be OK.

Tim K.
            '64 R2 GT Hawk
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

An ICR-23 from NAPA, as mentioned above. When I last replaced mine, it heated to burn in, and then settled down. As long as everything is wired correctly, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you have access to a good NAPA store - they aren't all the same - they kept old catalogs. Echlin, NAPA's ignition line, has a buyer's guide that has pictures and specifications, like resistance, for their electrical products. These buyer's guides are great for interchange applications, when part numbers no longer cross, and applications are no longer listed in current catalogs.

========================
              63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
              Martinez, CA

Comment

Resistor
                Studebaker 1550556 (early) 1558482 (late)
                Autolite 201000
                Mopar PL-450
                Delco Remy C-1100,1
                Echlin ICR 23
                Guaranteed Parts GRC-7
                Holley 35-12/-13
                Kem mfg. FR-56
                Mallory 700
                Mapco1703/1704
                Neihoff AL 125A
                P&D (Bendix) RU-7
                Powerready 36-1