Thread: Step-Side Ranger Box on a Champ

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

Step-Side Ranger Box on a Champ

Yesterday (Friday, August 29) I spent with two non-Studebaker enthusiasts in Auburn IN at the annual Kruse Labor Day Collector Car Auction. Quite a few Studebakers on the premises, actually; at least 14-15, I'd say.

Most impressive as to "enthusiastic" pricing was a nice, second-series 1955 Commander 4-door sedan in two-tone green. Not a show car, but an unusually nice car nonetheless, with Automatic Drive. It was parked out For Sale soliciting offers after the auction failed to meet the -hold onto your hat- $13,500 reserve!

Of greater interest was a Champ pickup needing completion, onto which had been placed one of the narrow-box, fiberglass-side Ford Ranger stepside beds used on 1993-2008 Rangers. The width of this bed was perfect for a Champ; 'absolutely could not have been better!

I sighted down both sides of the bed and the alignment with the rear section of the Champ cab looked every bit as if they had been designed for each other. This particular one looked like a work in progress...on which most of the progress was yet to be made, to put it delicately.

Nonetheless, the idea was terrific and I'd commend considering a narrow-box, fiberglass-step-side Ford Ranger bed to anyone wanting to rebuild a short-bed Champ with a more appropriate, better-looking box. (As a bonus; those tailgates don't have FORD embossed on them, so you can put S-T-U-D-E-B-A-K-E-R letters on them!) BP
    Panem et Circenses

I'd love to see a picture of that truck, or any Champ with a such a bed conversion. It seems to me that there was a Champ, red I believe, at Martinsburg Zone Meet several years ago that had an early Dakota wide bed on it. The owner said it bolted right on. It looked better than the stock bed, which of course was also a Dodge unit.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Me too! Don't tell us you didn't have a camera with you?!?[:0][B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

President Member
    Bob - Not fair to post this story about such a nice Champ conversion without some photos! [B)]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>

Speedster Member
    Over in Belpre,OH there is a body shop working on a C-cab with the same Ranger bed-looks nice too.If I can figure it out I'll post a picture.

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

I'd love to see a picture of that truck, or any Champ with a such a bed conversion. It seems to me that there was a Champ, red I believe, at Martinsburg Zone Meet several years ago that had an early Dakota wide bed on it. The owner said it bolted right on. It looked better than the stock bed, which of course was also a Dodge unit.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    David Hauser in Lewisville NC is building a Champ with a Ranger bed. I haven't been by lately, but he should be getting close to being done. (He's a LOT quicker than me as far as finishing projects&lt;G&gt;!) One neat thing about David's is that he has eliminated the 'step' just ahead of the rear fender - makes the lines flow much better.

Here are some pics that I have in my file of a another Champ with a Ranger bed:

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Many thanks, Paul. That is exactly correct and will answer everyone's questions. It appears the box could be scooted just a tad to the right on the one you've shown us for even better fitment. But isn't the overall effect good?

(And the bronze truck you photographed is far more appealing than the multi-colored project I reviewed yesterday!) BP

Golden Hawk Member
    Maybe it is me, but I think that that Ford bed looks as tacked on as the original Dodge bed. Bob P. is correct. He should have centered the bed to the cab. The Champ that I like the best is a Dodge box with a center section taken out to make the box sides align with the cab.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Maybe it is me, but I think that that Ford bed looks as tacked on as the original Dodge bed. Bob P. is correct. He should have centered the bed to the cab. The Champ that I like the best is a Dodge box with a center section taken out to make the box sides align with the cab.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    You mean like this?

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

No one can argue the appropriateness of the sectioned Dodge bed, for sure....but notice that the flare contour above both front and rear wheels winds up matching a tad better in the Ford version. BP

I don't see what you are saying about the fit of the box. At those angles I can't tell if it's centered or not.
    I have seen pictures of several Studes with that box. My brother and I have discussed measuring one up to use.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Golden Hawk Member
    quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

I don't see what you are saying about the fit of the box. At those angles I can't tell if it's centered or not.
    I have seen pictures of several Studes with that box. My brother and I have discussed measuring one up to use.
    Look at the left bed step. It is out from the cab. Look at the right bed step. It is in from the cab.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

One of the emblems is probably off half a centimeter too....lol

Speedster Member
    I like the looks of the Ranger Box more than the sectioned Dodge Box. Anyone seen (or used) a box other than the long version Dodge Box. Mine is pretty rusted. In fact, the last time I repainted the truck, I repaired the the box the best I could then applied enough bondo to covering the repairs. A friend of mine who was helping as is a body man, named the truck "Bondo Bucket"! How embarrassing. I don't have tailgate for it either. It was too rusted deteriorated to be put back on the truck!

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

I like it, but I'd be tempted to remove the stock taillights and fill the holes, then add something more appropriate to a Studebaker (simple round truck trailer lights maybe?) Amber turn signals, while undoubtedly a safety feature, just don't look right on a vintage vehicle.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

President Member
    Ok, I can't take it anymore. I've returned to this thread a number of times to read new posts, and everytime I get here it bugs me more and more how much that truck that r1lark posted a pic of looks like arkiejazz's truck, just with a different grill. Even the driveway, grass, sidewalk, and neighborhood look like Arkiejazz's. weird.......

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

President Member Anne F. Goodman's Avatar
    well I think that that picture is Arkiejazz's Truck in his driveway.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Ok, I can't take it anymore. I've returned to this thread a number of times to read new posts, and everytime I get here it bugs me more and more how much that truck that r1lark posted a pic of looks like arkiejazz's truck, just with a different grill. Even the driveway, grass, sidewalk, and neighborhood look like Arkiejazz's. weird.......

Bob, that's because it [u]is</u> Arkie's truck........

I have a number of pics of that truck on my hard drive, since I am considering doing the same thing for my 7E truck (if I don't use the P1 narrow bed).

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

President Member
    WEll, that's a load off my mind. I drive by there often enough it would have made me crazy to think there was another block just like his somewhere else.