Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint question

Does anyone have any experience with the "Dupli-color" Lacquer
    paints available in advance auto and elsewhere? The colors are very limited but it seems like a simple, easy system for us amateurs. They say no mixing, no flash time for additional coats; Or is this one of those deals where you get what you pay for?

thanks,

quote:Originally posted by valleyguy

.... Or is this one of those deals where you get what you pay for?

thanks,
    Smart man....

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

If it's still the same comany, Duplicolor has been around for many years. I've always known them for their touchup paint for new cars.
      I remember them when I was a teenager in the '50s. As far as I'm concerned, they're a quality company.
      Can you tell me about their product that you're considering?
      Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

On the program 'Trucks' on Spike TV they painted a vehicle with it and had lots of good to say, but the one I am curious about is the PPG industrial paint (I can't remember the name) they painted their "Cheap Jeep" project with. They said the gallon of paint and hardener was less than $70.00. Of course, it is not available as a custom mix,but they showed a chart with a wide range of colors. You can probably get the info at powerblocktv.com .

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona.Searcy,Arkansas
        "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote: but the one I am curious about is the PPG industrial paint (I can't remember the name) they painted their "Cheap Jeep" project with. They said the gallon of paint and hardener was less than $70.00. Of course, it is not available as a custom mix, but they showed a chart with a wide range of colors.
          Many industrial paints (especially urethanes) are chemically identical to their automotive counterparts. Dupont Imron is an example. It was the hot-ticket for painting cars in the early 80's. Well, It's always been an Industrial Urethane. That's what it was developed as.
          For certain colors (solid)- Black, White, Red, you can easily find suitable colors close to OEM automotive colors. These can be tinted with modern automotive pigments to get even closer matches. The cost is a fraction of the same "automotive" paint.

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

Well, I saw the dupli-color quart cans in the local Advance Auto store; they are labled
            "Paint shop" brand I think) and is a lacquer. They are also shown on the dupli color website.
            It is cheap and comes ready to spray.
            I have read that lacquer was used extensively on cars way back when , but that it had a tendency
            to bread down (crack,spiderweb) after a period of time. I was wondering is if this new Lacquer
            will hold up as well as an a traditional enamel. ??Any thoughts?

Comment

I can't imagine EVER using lacquer again. Urethane enamels are such a huge advancement- easy to apply, easy to repair, and shines relentlessly; and unmatched durability.

Suffice to say- if you want to put the best finish on your pride and joy, my opinion is- totally ignore lacquer and go with Urethane!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Go to http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/ for good deal on paint . I used Kirker on my car. I am no authority
                on paint but did well for me. The only draw back is no mixing, you have to pick from colour chart.

Comment

I am a custom painter here in Crawfordsville, Indiana and I can tell you that you get what you pay for! You can purchase a gallon of quality synthetic enamal from car quest for less then you will pay for that autozone or advace paint you are talking about....

Comment

quote:Originally posted by valleyguy

Well, I saw the dupli-color quart cans in the local Advance Auto store; they are labled
                    "Paint shop" brand I think) and is a lacquer. They are also shown on the dupli color website.
                    It is cheap and comes ready to spray.
                    I have read that lacquer was used extensively on cars way back when , but that it had a tendency
                    to bread down (crack,spiderweb) after a period of time. I was wondering is if this new Lacquer
                    will hold up as well as an a traditional enamel. ??Any thoughts?
                    I last used nitrocelluose lacquer in the '70s. I have recently seen paint jobs that I did then and they still look excellent. With that said, I would not use it now. Automotive finishes have advanced a lot in the past 35 years.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X