This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Motor Company

As I posted on an earlier topic I like to keep my ear to the ground for orphaned automobile companies that are attemtping to make a come back. The Studebaker Motor Company has a website that I have been watching for about two years now, while the site has changed over the years, there has never been a time table for the release of a new Studebaker. I decided that since I am in the automotive media, well sorta I would e-mail them and see what they said. Here is there response.

Dear Mr G****,

The vehicle bodies had to go through a major re-engineering. The design firm that Studebaker is using has also advised the company not to show conceptual vehicle design idea's. This is because they feel the public would have expectations of vehicles designs that may not every be manufactured. When the company came up with Mobotic this also changed the whole vehicle line up as well. It has taken longer than the company planned. There is a lot of exciting things going on. If you wish to be on the media contact list, we can add you to it and you will receive updates.

Thank You
    Alan R.
    Studebaker Motor Company Inc

I guess we can keep sanding the rust off our old Stude's there wont be any new ones for a long time.

Randy_G
    1959 Lark (project)
    This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Since you both have similar grammatical errors in your short items, is it reasonable to make the small leap and assume that you are both the same person (using different names) <G>? An error in your post doesn't bother me, but an error in what is supposed to be from a major company does bother me. It reflects poorly on the company. I think that others have noted many errors in things from this company in the past.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Since you both have similar grammatical errors in your short items, is it reasonable to make the small leap and assume that you are both the same person (using different names) <G>? An error in your post doesn't bother me, but an error in what is supposed to be from a major company does bother me. It reflects poorly on the company. I think that others have noted many errors in things from this company in the past.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If the "Studebaker Motor Co." ever does actually build something and try to market it, they WILL be sued or stopped by the Studebaker National Museum and or Avanti Motors Inc. both of whom appear to have ownership of the name "Studebaker" it can not be included in their "Co." name!
        That is of course, IF they actually exist which I doubt very much![xx(]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If the "Studebaker Motor Co." ever does actually build something and try to market it, they WILL be sued or stopped by the Studebaker National Museum and or Avanti Motors Inc. both of whom appear to have ownership of the name "Studebaker" it can not be included in their "Co." name!
          That is of course, IF they actually exist which I doubt very much![xx(]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It looks like "here we go again".
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

It looks like "here we go again".
              Rog

Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

This whole thing is SUCH a hoax. Too bad there aren't 365 April Firsts a year.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

This whole thing is SUCH a hoax. Too bad there aren't 365 April Firsts a year.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

StudeRich, I believe your statement about it being illegal to use "Studebaker" in the company name is false on its face. There are LOTS of companies already in business with the name Studebaker. As a surname I am positive it cannot be "owned" by anyone, since any surname can be used to name any company. It just could not be exactly what anyone else has registered in that state.
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

StudeRich, I believe your statement about it being illegal to use "Studebaker" in the company name is false on its face. There are LOTS of companies already in business with the name Studebaker. As a surname I am positive it cannot be "owned" by anyone, since any surname can be used to name any company. It just could not be exactly what anyone else has registered in that state.
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

search: Studebaker factory burns down. I saw a post over on myspace.com with some video of the blaze.
                        I dont have video but I have the photos of the smoldering ruble.
                        Problem is which Factory are they refering to since Detroit and portions of South Bend have both fallen to the same fate. "Fire"

Randy_G
                        1959 Lark (project)
                        This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

search: Studebaker factory burns down. I saw a post over on myspace.com with some video of the blaze.
                          I dont have video but I have the photos of the smoldering ruble.
                          Problem is which Factory are they refering to since Detroit and portions of South Bend have both fallen to the same fate. "Fire"

Randy_G
                          1959 Lark (project)

Comment

As I've reported in the past, I have had numerous conversations (via email and phone) with the proprietor of the Studebaker Motor Company. I hold out no hope whatsoever that there is anything of substance there in regard to manufacturing a Studebaker branded car or truck.

The last communication I had said that there would be a prototype unveiled at the Omaha Meet (sorry, I must have missed it). I was also offered a plane ticket to fly down last July for an interview and sneak peek (the follow-up call never came).

I'd advise y'all to do as I have...put this outfit out of your mind. It ain't gonna happen.

Regarding Studebaker trademarks, there is a lot of confusion about who owns what. All I know is what the US Patent and Trademark Office has in their searchable trademark database (http://tess2.uspto.gov).

For those interested in such matters, here is the list of Studebaker-related trademarks that are currently "live" (valid registered trademark status)

"Studebaker":
                            Type: word only
                            Goods and services: electronic equipment like radios, CD players, etc.
                            Registration date: 6/11/03

"Studebaker Manufacturing Corp."
                            Type: Design plus words (modified version of the "S" logo with text around it)
                            Goods and services: Aftermarket motorcycle parts
                            First use: 9/15/93
                            Registration date: 5/20/03

"S" (modified version of the circular "S" logo)
                            Type: Design
                            First use: 4/8/04
                            Registration date: 10/1/06

"Studebaker Hawk"
                            Type: words only
                            Goods and Services: Radio entertainment services, namely radio programs featuring performances by a radio personality.
                            First use: 1/1/99
                            Registration date: 4/30/03

"Studebaker Clothing Company"
                            Type: Design plus words (circle with a separating left-of-center "S" with "Studebaker Clothing Company" text next to the S)
                            Goods and services: clothing, nasmely pants, jackets, vests and shirts
                            First use: 10/02/02
                            Registration date: 11/30/04

"Studebaker"
                            Type: Design plus word (The red & blue Circle "S" logo behind yellow "Studebaker" script)
                            Goods and services: Museum Services (Owned by the SNM)
                            First use: 6/17/85
                            Registration date: 10/5/03

"Studebaker National Museum"
                            Goods and services: Museum services
                            First use: 5/25/82
                            Registration date: 9/10/02

"The Studebaker Group, Inc. SG"
                            Type: Design plus words
                            Goods and services: consulting services for others relating to cost reduction
                            First use: 7/1/92
                            Registration date: 11/29/94

"The Studebaker Drivers Club, inc."
                            Type: Design plus words (The wheel logo with text added)
                            Goods and services: Association services, namely promoting those interested in antique cars
                            First use: 12/31/63
                            Registration date" 7/13/76

"Studebaker's"
                            Type: Word in stylized form (modified script)
                            Goods and services: Nightclub services
                            First use: 5/17/84
                            Registration date:4/14/87

"Studebaker Drivers Club"
                            Goods and services: Association services, namely promoting those interested in antique cars
                            First use: 1963
                            Registration date: 6/28/77

There are a number of other trademarks that were once applied for but have been cancelled or abandoned and, as such, are considered "dead". They include:

Studebaker Avanti
                            Studebaker XUT
                            Studebaker XUV
                            Studebaker (vehicles)
                            Studebaker (toy model cars)

Some of the trademarks exist because they fall into very different "goods and services" classifications. Some may have been "approved" because no one contested the application. Some may have been abandoned because the USPTO would not give them protected status (too close to another registered trademark for example).

The Avanti Motor Company does not appear to own any Studebaker trademarks and neither does the Studebaker Motor Company mentioned in this post. My gut feel is there are a number of old Studebaker logos (such as the one used in my signature) that might not get approved for trademark registration these days because they have been in the public domain for so long. That's only my Bobservation. I could be all wet.
                            sigpic
                            Bob Shaw
                            Rush City, Minnesota
                            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

As I've reported in the past, I have had numerous conversations (via email and phone) with the proprietor of the Studebaker Motor Company. I hold out no hope whatsoever that there is anything of substance there in regard to manufacturing a Studebaker branded car or truck.

The last communication I had said that there would be a prototype unveiled at the Omaha Meet (sorry, I must have missed it). I was also offered a plane ticket to fly down last July for an interview and sneak peek (the follow-up call never came).

I'd advise y'all to do as I have...put this outfit out of your mind. It ain't gonna happen.

Regarding Studebaker trademarks, there is a lot of confusion about who owns what. All I know is what the US Patent and Trademark Office has in their searchable trademark database (http://tess2.uspto.gov).

For those interested in such matters, here is the list of Studebaker-related trademarks that are currently "live" (valid registered trademark status)

"Studebaker":
                              Type: word only
                              Goods and services: electronic equipment like radios, CD players, etc.
                              Registration date: 6/11/03

"Studebaker Manufacturing Corp."
                              Type: Design plus words (modified version of the "S" logo with text around it)
                              First use: 9/15/93
                              Registration date: 5/20/03

"S" (modified version of the circular "S" logo)
                              Type: Design
                              First use: 4/8/04
                              Registration date: 10/1/06

"Studebaker Hawk"
                              Goods and Services: Radio entertainment services, namely radio programs featuring performances by a radio personality.
                              First use: 1/1/99
                              Registration date: 4/30/03

"Studebaker Clothing Company"
                              Type: Design plus words (circle with a separating left-of-center "S" with "Studebaker Clothing Company" text next to the S)
                              Goods and services: clothing, nasmely pants, jackets, vests and shirts
                              First use: 10/02/02
                              Registration date: 11/30/04

"Studebaker"
                              Type: Design plus word (The red & blue Circle "S" logo behind yellow "Studebaker" script)
                              Goods and services: Museum Services (Owned by the SNM)
                              First use: 6/17/85
                              Registration date: 10/5/03

"Studebaker National Museum"
                              Goods and services: Museum services
                              First use: 5/25/82
                              Registration date: 9/10/02

"The Studebaker Group, Inc. SG"
                              Type: Design plus words
                              Goods and services: consulting services for others relating to cost reduction
                              First use: 7/1/92
                              Registration date: 11/29/94

"The Studebaker Drivers Club, inc."
                              Type: Design plus words (The wheel logo with text added)
                              First use: 12/31/63
                              Registration date" 7/13/76

"Studebaker's"
                              Type: Word in stylized form (modified script)
                              Goods and services: Nightclub services
                              First use: 5/17/84
                              Registration date:4/14/87

"Studebaker Drivers Club"
                              First use: 1963
                              Registration date: 6/28/77

There are a number of other trademarks that were once applied for but have been cancelled or abandoned and, as such, are considered "dead". They include:

Studebaker Avanti
                              Studebaker XUT
                              Studebaker XUV
                              Studebaker (vehicles)
                              Studebaker (toy model cars)

Some of the trademarks exist because they fall into very different "goods and services" classifications. Some may have been "approved" because no one contested the application. Some may have been abandoned because the USPTO would not give them protected status (too close to another registered trademark for example).

The Avanti Motor Company does not appear to own any Studebaker trademarks and neither does the Studebaker Motor Company mentioned in this post. My gut feel is there are a number of old Studebaker logos (such as the one used in my signature) that might not get approved for trademark registration these days because they have been in the public domain for so long. That's only my Bobservation. I could be all wet.
                              sigpic
                              Bob Shaw
                              Rush City, Minnesota
                              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                              X