Thread: Studebaker Motor Company

President Member

Studebaker Motor Company

As I posted on an earlier topic I like to keep my ear to the ground for orphaned automobile companies that are attemtping to make a come back. The Studebaker Motor Company has a website that I have been watching for about two years now, while the site has changed over the years, there has never been a time table for the release of a new Studebaker. I decided that since I am in the automotive media, well sorta I would e-mail them and see what they said. Here is there response.

Dear Mr G****,

The vehicle bodies had to go through a major re-engineering. The design firm that Studebaker is using has also advised the company not to show conceptual vehicle design idea's. This is because they feel the public would have expectations of vehicles designs that may not every be manufactured. When the company came up with Mobotic this also changed the whole vehicle line up as well. It has taken longer than the company planned. There is a lot of exciting things going on. If you wish to be on the media contact list, we can add you to it and you will receive updates.

Thank You
    Alan R.
    Studebaker Motor Company Inc

I guess we can keep sanding the rust off our old Stude's there wont be any new ones for a long time.

Randy_G
    1959 Lark (project)
    www.automotivehistoryonline.com
    Randy_G
    1959 Lark Sedan
    www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Golden Hawk Member
    Since you both have similar grammatical errors in your short items, is it reasonable to make the small leap and assume that you are both the same person (using different names) <G>? An error in your post doesn't bother me, but an error in what is supposed to be from a major company does bother me. It reflects poorly on the company. I think that others have noted many errors in things from this company in the past.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Golden Hawk Member
    Since you both have similar grammatical errors in your short items, is it reasonable to make the small leap and assume that you are both the same person (using different names) <G>? An error in your post doesn't bother me, but an error in what is supposed to be from a major company does bother me. It reflects poorly on the company. I think that others have noted many errors in things from this company in the past.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Golden Hawk Member
    If the "Studebaker Motor Co." ever does actually build something and try to market it, they WILL be sued or stopped by the Studebaker National Museum and or Avanti Motors Inc. both of whom appear to have ownership of the name "Studebaker" it can not be included in their "Co." name!
    That is of course, IF they actually exist which I doubt very much![xx(]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Golden Hawk Member
    If the "Studebaker Motor Co." ever does actually build something and try to market it, they WILL be sued or stopped by the Studebaker National Museum and or Avanti Motors Inc. both of whom appear to have ownership of the name "Studebaker" it can not be included in their "Co." name!
    That is of course, IF they actually exist which I doubt very much![xx(]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

President Member
    It looks like "here we go again".
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

President Member
    It looks like "here we go again".
    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

This whole thing is SUCH a hoax. Too bad there aren't 365 April Firsts a year.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

This whole thing is SUCH a hoax. Too bad there aren't 365 April Firsts a year.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

StudeRich, I believe your statement about it being illegal to use "Studebaker" in the company name is false on its face. There are LOTS of companies already in business with the name Studebaker. As a surname I am positive it cannot be "owned" by anyone, since any surname can be used to name any company. It just could not be exactly what anyone else has registered in that state.

StudeRich, I believe your statement about it being illegal to use "Studebaker" in the company name is false on its face. There are LOTS of companies already in business with the name Studebaker. As a surname I am positive it cannot be "owned" by anyone, since any surname can be used to name any company. It just could not be exactly what anyone else has registered in that state.

President Member
    quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

search: Studebaker factory burns down. I saw a post over on myspace.com with some video of the blaze.
    I dont have video but I have the photos of the smoldering ruble.
    Problem is which Factory are they refering to since Detroit and portions of South Bend have both fallen to the same fate. "Fire"

Randy_G
    1959 Lark (project)

President Member
    quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

search: Studebaker factory burns down. I saw a post over on myspace.com with some video of the blaze.
    I dont have video but I have the photos of the smoldering ruble.
    Problem is which Factory are they refering to since Detroit and portions of South Bend have both fallen to the same fate. "Fire"

Randy_G
    1959 Lark (project)

As I've reported in the past, I have had numerous conversations (via email and phone) with the proprietor of the Studebaker Motor Company. I hold out no hope whatsoever that there is anything of substance there in regard to manufacturing a Studebaker branded car or truck.

The last communication I had said that there would be a prototype unveiled at the Omaha Meet (sorry, I must have missed it). I was also offered a plane ticket to fly down last July for an interview and sneak peek (the follow-up call never came).

I'd advise y'all to do as I have...put this outfit out of your mind. It ain't gonna happen.

Regarding Studebaker trademarks, there is a lot of confusion about who owns what. All I know is what the US Patent and Trademark Office has in their searchable trademark database (http://tess2.uspto.gov).

For those interested in such matters, here is the list of Studebaker-related trademarks that are currently "live" (valid registered trademark status)

"Studebaker":
    Type: word only
    Goods and services: electronic equipment like radios, CD players, etc.
    Registration date: 6/11/03

"Studebaker Manufacturing Corp."
    Type: Design plus words (modified version of the "S" logo with text around it)
    Goods and services: Aftermarket motorcycle parts
    First use: 9/15/93
    Registration date: 5/20/03

"S" (modified version of the circular "S" logo)
    Type: Design
    First use: 4/8/04
    Registration date: 10/1/06

"Studebaker Hawk"
    Type: words only
    Goods and Services: Radio entertainment services, namely radio programs featuring performances by a radio personality.
    First use: 1/1/99
    Registration date: 4/30/03

"Studebaker Clothing Company"
    Type: Design plus words (circle with a separating left-of-center "S" with "Studebaker Clothing Company" text next to the S)
    Goods and services: clothing, nasmely pants, jackets, vests and shirts
    First use: 10/02/02
    Registration date: 11/30/04

"Studebaker"
    Type: Design plus word (The red & blue Circle "S" logo behind yellow "Studebaker" script)
    Goods and services: Museum Services (Owned by the SNM)
    First use: 6/17/85
    Registration date: 10/5/03

"Studebaker National Museum"
    Goods and services: Museum services
    First use: 5/25/82
    Registration date: 9/10/02

"The Studebaker Group, Inc. SG"
    Type: Design plus words
    Goods and services: consulting services for others relating to cost reduction
    First use: 7/1/92
    Registration date: 11/29/94

"The Studebaker Drivers Club, inc."
    Type: Design plus words (The wheel logo with text added)
    Goods and services: Association services, namely promoting those interested in antique cars
    First use: 12/31/63
    Registration date" 7/13/76

"Studebaker's"
    Type: Word in stylized form (modified script)
    Goods and services: Nightclub services
    First use: 5/17/84
    Registration date:4/14/87

"Studebaker Drivers Club"
    Goods and services: Association services, namely promoting those interested in antique cars
    First use: 1963
    Registration date: 6/28/77

There are a number of other trademarks that were once applied for but have been cancelled or abandoned and, as such, are considered "dead". They include:

Studebaker Avanti
    Studebaker XUT
    Studebaker XUV
    Studebaker (vehicles)
    Studebaker (toy model cars)

Some of the trademarks exist because they fall into very different "goods and services" classifications. Some may have been "approved" because no one contested the application. Some may have been abandoned because the USPTO would not give them protected status (too close to another registered trademark for example).

The Avanti Motor Company does not appear to own any Studebaker trademarks and neither does the Studebaker Motor Company mentioned in this post. My gut feel is there are a number of old Studebaker logos (such as the one used in my signature) that might not get approved for trademark registration these days because they have been in the public domain for so long. That's only my Bobservation. I could be all wet.

As I've reported in the past, I have had numerous conversations (via email and phone) with the proprietor of the Studebaker Motor Company. I hold out no hope whatsoever that there is anything of substance there in regard to manufacturing a Studebaker branded car or truck.

The last communication I had said that there would be a prototype unveiled at the Omaha Meet (sorry, I must have missed it). I was also offered a plane ticket to fly down last July for an interview and sneak peek (the follow-up call never came).

I'd advise y'all to do as I have...put this outfit out of your mind. It ain't gonna happen.

Regarding Studebaker trademarks, there is a lot of confusion about who owns what. All I know is what the US Patent and Trademark Office has in their searchable trademark database (http://tess2.uspto.gov).

For those interested in such matters, here is the list of Studebaker-related trademarks that are currently "live" (valid registered trademark status)

"Studebaker":
    Type: word only
    Goods and services: electronic equipment like radios, CD players, etc.
    Registration date: 6/11/03

"Studebaker Manufacturing Corp."
    Type: Design plus words (modified version of the "S" logo with text around it)
    First use: 9/15/93
    Registration date: 5/20/03

"S" (modified version of the circular "S" logo)
    Type: Design
    First use: 4/8/04
    Registration date: 10/1/06

"Studebaker Hawk"
    Goods and Services: Radio entertainment services, namely radio programs featuring performances by a radio personality.
    First use: 1/1/99
    Registration date: 4/30/03

"Studebaker Clothing Company"
    Type: Design plus words (circle with a separating left-of-center "S" with "Studebaker Clothing Company" text next to the S)
    Goods and services: clothing, nasmely pants, jackets, vests and shirts
    First use: 10/02/02
    Registration date: 11/30/04

"Studebaker"
    Type: Design plus word (The red & blue Circle "S" logo behind yellow "Studebaker" script)
    Goods and services: Museum Services (Owned by the SNM)
    First use: 6/17/85
    Registration date: 10/5/03

"Studebaker National Museum"
    Goods and services: Museum services
    First use: 5/25/82
    Registration date: 9/10/02

"The Studebaker Group, Inc. SG"
    Type: Design plus words
    Goods and services: consulting services for others relating to cost reduction
    First use: 7/1/92
    Registration date: 11/29/94

"The Studebaker Drivers Club, inc."
    Type: Design plus words (The wheel logo with text added)
    First use: 12/31/63
    Registration date" 7/13/76

"Studebaker's"
    Type: Word in stylized form (modified script)
    Goods and services: Nightclub services
    First use: 5/17/84
    Registration date:4/14/87

"Studebaker Drivers Club"
    First use: 1963
    Registration date: 6/28/77

There are a number of other trademarks that were once applied for but have been cancelled or abandoned and, as such, are considered "dead". They include:

Studebaker Avanti
    Studebaker XUT
    Studebaker XUV
    Studebaker (vehicles)
    Studebaker (toy model cars)

Some of the trademarks exist because they fall into very different "goods and services" classifications. Some may have been "approved" because no one contested the application. Some may have been abandoned because the USPTO would not give them protected status (too close to another registered trademark for example).

The Avanti Motor Company does not appear to own any Studebaker trademarks and neither does the Studebaker Motor Company mentioned in this post. My gut feel is there are a number of old Studebaker logos (such as the one used in my signature) that might not get approved for trademark registration these days because they have been in the public domain for so long. That's only my Bobservation. I could be all wet.

Silver Hawk Member
    quote: I think what was meant is that one cannot 'stamp'the name 'studebaker' and place it on a car and call it a 'studebaker' without some sort of legal trouble. I notice even toys, need permission nowdays........ Probably a topic for lawyers, and not for this forum.
    This is a little off the subject, but a friend who is into models told me that they can't put the name "REO Speedwagon" on a model of a REO Speedwagon because the rock group has the right to the name!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Silver Hawk Member
    quote: I think what was meant is that one cannot 'stamp'the name 'studebaker' and place it on a car and call it a 'studebaker' without some sort of legal trouble. I notice even toys, need permission nowdays........ Probably a topic for lawyers, and not for this forum.
    This is a little off the subject, but a friend who is into models told me that they can't put the name "REO Speedwagon" on a model of a REO Speedwagon because the rock group has the right to the name!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

quote:Originally posted by lstude
    It gets weirder. Various aircraft companies now license the right to make plastic kits of fighter jets to model makers such as Revell. Even though the design was paid for by US taxpayers.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

quote:Originally posted by lstude
    It gets weirder. Various aircraft companies now license the right to make plastic kits of fighter jets to model makers such as Revell. Even though the design was paid for by US taxpayers.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

The people running the Studebaker Motor Company website are hilarious! I hope a thread is established by them here. It's a hoot! Just wait and see...(LOL)

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith

The people running the Studebaker Motor Company website are hilarious! I hope a thread is established by them here. It's a hoot! Just wait and see...(LOL)

Lotsa Larks!
    Ron Smith

You mean you think there's more than one person at Studebaker Motor Company?

You mean you think there's more than one person at Studebaker Motor Company?

Last time this clown turned up, it was found out that there's at least three people involved in this. Unfortuneately, the CEO or publicity agent, isn't as easily baited as before. No more capslock messages.... So very disapointing. The mispellings were fun too.

Lotsa Larks!
    Ron Smith

Last time this clown turned up, it was found out that there's at least three people involved in this. Unfortuneately, the CEO or publicity agent, isn't as easily baited as before. No more capslock messages.... So very disapointing. The mispellings were fun too.

Lotsa Larks!
    Ron Smith

I'm not sure how to explain this, but here are two renderings of a motorcycle for the Studebaker Motor Company. They apparently were done by Dmitri Samal.

http://designet.ru/images/object_6.1144673311.08479.jpg
    http://designet.ru/images/object_69....3310.93502.jpg

I thought I'd just leave the link instead of posting the pictures since I think they're copyrighted.

Nice motorcycle!

Here is Mr. Samal's website: http://www.samal-design.com/index.htm .

He is quite talented, from the looks of it.

I'm not sure how to explain this, but here are two renderings of a motorcycle for the Studebaker Motor Company. They apparently were done by Dmitri Samal.

http://designet.ru/images/object_6.1144673311.08479.jpg
    http://designet.ru/images/object_69....3310.93502.jpg

I thought I'd just leave the link instead of posting the pictures since I think they're copyrighted.

Nice motorcycle!

Here is Mr. Samal's website: http://www.samal-design.com/index.htm .

He is quite talented, from the looks of it.

Nice design. Reminds me of a Buell. Perimeter frame, nice rake on the forks, inline four... Air cooled? Yikes! And that pipe! It would fry your leg on a regular basis. Other than that... a nice looking bike. Now, what was that about cars[?][)]

Lotsa Larks!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Nice design. Reminds me of a Buell. Perimeter frame, nice rake on the forks, inline four... Air cooled? Yikes! And that pipe! It would fry your leg on a regular basis. Other than that... a nice looking bike. Now, what was that about cars[?][)]

Lotsa Larks!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

Wow![:0] This is EXCITING!!![] Man, I can't decide if that thing reminds me more of a '51 Business Coupe or a 53 Starliner! I mean - the resemblance is UNCANNY!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Wow![:0] This is EXCITING!!![] Man, I can't decide if that thing reminds me more of a '51 Business Coupe or a 53 Starliner! I mean - the resemblance is UNCANNY!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

President Member
    After seeing their motorcyle, one can only hope they never build a car and put the great name "Studebaker" on it.
    Yuck, looks like a Buell abortion.

President Member
    After seeing their motorcyle, one can only hope they never build a car and put the great name "Studebaker" on it.
    Yuck, looks like a Buell abortion.