Anyone have a 1942 studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

On the other hand, more scarce would be a 1946 model. Supposedly Studebaker only manufactured 19,275...again this is according to wikipedia.
    Yes and there were [u]Four</u> '46 Studebakers at the recent Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet... for some unknown reason, I did not take a photo of them side by each in the concours.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

here is my Champion.
      Yep, everyone likes the 41s, but I think the 42s (and 46s) are handsome with their spartan hub caps, stylized dashes, and strong front and rear ends, I think they look more "polished" than the 39-41s.

Comment

Hey, that is some kind of nice.you have the best of both worlds, prewar and post war. Black is always going to look great. It has the same speed lines that a 1941 has, the chrome is great for a car that was supposed to be preping for the war effort.thanks for posting very nice. OK you talked me into it

Studebakers forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

actually very dark green color, the GT is black. I always kid with my wife that my goal is a Stude from each decade...30, 40, 60, now I just need one from the 20s and the 50s......she does not find that too humorous.........the bumpers are chrome, the side trim and grill are stainless

Comment

See TW's May 1988, Feature Article on a '42 Commander. May 1990, Article on the '42 Model 90, "The Black Out Model" & October 1998 Additional information on the Model 90.

Comment

Posted - 07/30/2008 : 1:17:53 PM
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is my Champion.
              Yep, everyone likes the 41s, but I think the 42s (and 46s) are handsome with their spartan hub caps, stylized dashes, and strong front and rear ends, I think they look more "polished" than the 39-41s.

CKOT: Is the plastic CHAMPION name plate above the glovebox correct for your '42? They used those on '48 Champions!

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

As far as I know it is. I am the second owner of this car, it was in Cloquet Minnesota from purchase until 1989 when I acquired it. The right side of the dash should be turned metal like the left side, but got lost in the process. The original owner never indicated any additions, but who knows. Perhaps it just "looks" like the 48s.Anyone else know for sure?

Comment

The big S was on the dash of the 42 I had also. My coupe was original, includeing two tone like the 42 shown in earlier post.
                  Klif

55 Speedster
                  55 Speedster/Street Machine
                  63 Avanti R2
                  64 Convertible R1

Comment

Last edited by 715m29; 06-29-2014, 08:50 PM. Reason: didn't post near the picture of car

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I alwlays enjoyed seeing him at the swap meets and seeing your folks on our ASC tours. A very nice couple. Yes, the car was beautiful also.

Comment

I'm not usually a fan of the pre-war cars but damn, I like that. Love the grill. Love the lines. I may have a new obsession now.
                        1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your father's passing. I visited him on a number of occasions at his home in Pilot Rock, he was always willing to give me some time whenever I came through. I counted him as a friend and will miss him.

The first time I met Francis it was because he had been parting out a Studebaker of some kind and, not knowing him, I was afraid that he would be scrapping some good useable parts. I needn't have worried because what I found was one of the most organized savors that I found in the old car hobby. He seemed to know where everything was and usually had more then one of almost everything. That was when I was first was introduced to his wonderful collection of cars. I especially loved his pre war cars, the Big Six coupe, 1942 President and one of my favorites the 1939 Commander coupe. The 50/s cars like the 1955 Speedster and the Golden Hawk were exceptionally nice too. Are you able to share with the other Forum members some information about your Dad and some pictures of his cars? The car hobby has lost one of its best!-Bill Hallett

Comment

Comment

I'm with Mr. Quinn on this discussion. The 1941 models are beautiful! The 1942-46 styling is different but then again most American 1942-46 car designs look a bit different. Not a bad thing by any means just not as pleasing to my eyes as the 1941 designs.
                              That being said, if I came across a 1942 President or Champion, I'd snatch her up!
                              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I own a very rare 1942 Studebaker Model 90 Black out Deluxe Champion four door sedan, I'm the third owner and it only has 9,012 original miles on it. You can e-mail me at uncivil warriors@gmail.com if you have any questions. My name is Larry Wells. You can see a story on the car in an upcoming issue of the Antique Studebaker Club magazine. Mine was built 1/27/42 and is restored as a Chicago, Ill civil defense air raid wardens car. As far as we know it is the only four door black out champion left!
                                Last edited by larry wells; 12-09-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X