ELECTRONIC IGNITION Systems for Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELECTRONIC IGNITION Systems for Studebakers

Was just curious as to why there have been no posts,(tried search),or no entries on 'tech tips,specs' on electronic ignition systems. I am not knowledgeable with the ignition systems on cars. I imagine there are hundreds of other members in a similar predicament.

Conversions from 'points' to electronic ignition is apparently simple but can be complicated by many factors as dictated by the year,model,make,eng.size etc. I have checked out many web pages but have found nothing specific to the 259 in my '59 Hawk. I have talked to dealers like Bill C. on the phone but am still as confused as before.

I sure would like to see, a methodically, easily understood paper on the logistics of installing a "P." or "C." ignition system.
    As the popularity of the newer technology increases, I think members need to understand
    1)the benefits and/or drawbacks of E.I.,
    2)the basic installation procedure,
    3)the complicating factors in the various Studebaker engines such as the Ohm factor, flamethrower coil required, using the original coil, problem shooting, etc.,etc.
    4)the [u]do's and do not's</u>, as they pertain to what to purchase, how to install.

I do want to convert over but need some help. Anyone done a conversion on a '59, 259 Hawk?

If there are others in the same boat, please "second" this query in a short reply (the 8-ball smiley would do) and maybe something will happen? I think it would be an excellent addition to the "tech tips" on our forum! Many thanks to the individual(s) that could accomplish this challenge.

Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
    '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

Smithers, B.C.
    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
    '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

I used the Pertronix for my 52 commander 6v pos grnd. with a 289 stude and a flight o matic. Starts better, and seens to be good onthe road, I do need to "play" with the metering rods and jets. Carb is a 500 cfm carter/edlebrock

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

I have used the Pertronix system on my R-2 Hawk, 60 Lark & 61 Champ with satisfying results. Being the Champ & the Lark both had a delco distributor made it real easy & the R-2 had a dual point that was available with a Pertronix.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Dave; no offense intended, BUT I think you are over thinking this! You buy a early Delco (same '56-'60 Hawk) Pertronix Igniter system #1187LS from a Stude. Parts Vendor, take out the points and Condensor and drop in the Pertronix module in their place, connect 2 wires to coil per the instructions and forget you have a distributor! [^]

I did it to my '59 Lark (same Dist.) and I have no electronic knowledge, nor did I need any! [:0] Runs great!

The instructions did say NOT to mess with the resistance wire or resistor block, UNLESS you buy their High Output Flame thrower 40,000 Volt or 45,000 volt Coil which has a built-in resistance, so does not require a external resistor. So if you have a Pink resistance wire, you disconnect it and add a copper wire from the Coil to the Ign. Switch.

There are trouble shooting instructions included if you make a mistake, otherwise none are needed and no downsides except, like all factory systems the module (pick-up) could eventually fail, you throw it away and install your spare, same as points. [:0]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For me there was really nothing to the Pertronix ignition system. Just pop the cap, pull the plate and points, install the module to plate, reinstall, drop magneto(I think thats it) on shaft, and wire using the diagram inside of the box. I did one to a dual point Prestolite a coupla years ago for a 64 Lark and an Autolite 6V positive ground for a 50 pickup with the Champion six this spring. I also sprung for the Flamethrower coils for both and haven't really had a trouble with either yet.
          One thing about the Autolite though. It had a post that affixed the points, and adjustable spring , and arm. It was an adjustment mechanism to help easier set the point gap, and unfortunately, had to go. Fortunately the Pertronix was a set and forget system in this case, but if it goes, it will need a spare(but widely available) new distributor plate along with the points.

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

There are plenty of threads on this subject..
            Just put the word Pertronix in the search box and hit enter...
            You'll find some good reading on the subject.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Champion51

Was just curious as to why there have been no posts,(tried search),or no entries on 'tech tips,specs' on electronic ignition systems. I am not knowledgeable with the ignition systems on cars. I imagine there are hundreds of other members in a similar predicament.

Conversions from 'points' to electronic ignition is apparently simple but can be complicated by many factors as dictated by the year,model,make,eng.size etc. I have checked out many web pages but have found nothing specific to the 259 in my '59 Hawk. I have talked to dealers like Bill C. on the phone but am still as confused as before.

I sure would like to see, a methodically, easily understood paper on the logistics of installing a "P." or "C." ignition system.
            As the popularity of the newer technology increases, I think members need to understand
            1)the benefits and/or drawbacks of E.I.,
            2)the basic installation procedure,
            3)the complicating factors in the various Studebaker engines such as the Ohm factor, flamethrower coil required, using the original coil, problem shooting, etc.,etc.
            4)the [u]do's and do not's</u>, as they pertain to what to purchase, how to install.

I do want to convert over but need some help. Anyone done a conversion on a '59, 259 Hawk?

If there are others in the same boat, please "second" this query in a short reply (the 8-ball smiley would do) and maybe something will happen? I think it would be an excellent addition to the "tech tips" on our forum! Many thanks to the individual(s) that could accomplish this challenge.

Dave D.
            '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
            '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

Smithers, B.C.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Dave; no offense intended, BUT I think you are over thinking this! You buy a early Delco (same '56-'60 Hawk) Pertronix Igniter system #1187LS from a Stude. Parts Vendor, take out the points and Condensor and drop in the Pertronix module in their place, connect 2 wires to coil per the instructions and forget you have a distributor! [^]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
              Rich - I should have asked you while down in Oregon City last week, but what are the 1187LS's selling for these days?

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
              May 23-25, 2009?
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

For what it's worth, I do believe MSD, Crane and Mallory...also make drop in modules for the Delco distributor.

And all are just that, take the points-condensor out, install the module (and or ring) connect the wires to the coil, close the hood.
                While it can be done in the car, it's much easier to clean things up a bit and do the install on the work bench.

Mike

Comment

OK, guys. Thanks for the info. Didn't do the right search in the first place. Lots of good stuff found under a 'Pertronix' search. Even printed off the install procedures. Thanks again!

Dave D.
                  '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
                  '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

Smithers, B.C.
                  Dave D.
                  '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Comment

Mark - Pertronix lists a IGNITOR DELCO EARLY 8cyl., 12V Neg grnd. for $100.79. The Black 40,000 V flamethrower is $31.89. It is the 1.5 Ohm which I think is suitable for my application. Don't think I really need it.

Dave D.
                    '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
                    '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

Smithers, B.C.
                    Dave D.
                    '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

Comment

Mark, with your Forum Discount, Regular Customer Discount and Good Guy Discount the FOB Ferndale, WA price is in the email I sent, but let me know if you do not receive it, lately some forum sent emails go to Spam or do not work! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Rich - I should have asked you while down in Oregon City last week, but what are the 1187LS's selling for these days?
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Mark, with your Forum Discount, Regular Customer Discount and Good Guy Discount the FOB Ferndale, WA price is in the email I sent, but let me know if you do not receive it, lately some forum sent emails go to Spam or do not work! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        Thanks Rich - e-mail received & reply sent.

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar Deluxe
                        Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
                        May 23-25, 2009?
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

I have a 63 GT Hawk with what appears to be a Autolite distrubitor with vacuum advance (no id plate). My problem is that i can't seem to get a Pertronix conversion for it. However, Pertronix does have one listed for the 57 Packard with a 283 v8, would this be the same creature?? Does anyone know of a conversion unit that i can use. Thanks, BrianC

Comment

A word of caution when using the Pertronix unit when trouble shooting electrical issues, do not leave the key in the start position for very long, less than a minute, you will fry the unit. If you are doing lengthy diagnosis, disconnect the unit's wires from the coil. You will still have power to everything but the distributor. A replacement unit runs about $8.00 less then the complete setup. This is experience talking.

Wayen K.
                            Libby, MT
                            61 Hawk (On the road, FINALLY)

Comment

I found an Accell Ignition module at Advance auto that is supposed to be for the Stude V8 with Autolight distributor. The part number is 1584. I don't know if that is the Accell no. or the Advance no. or both. I have not bought the unit yet so can't give you any info on operation.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X