No announcement yet.

ELECTRONIC IGNITION Systems for Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Don, I have purchased the 1584, it's a Pertronix unit for Prestolite distributor, it doesn't fit the Autolite. See my problem!! Pertronix has a unit for a distributor without vacum advance. i can't see what difference that would make and wonder if it will work. I've e-mailed Pertronix, sent them pics of the unit, no reply. I guess they're not big on customer service. Thanks anyway.
    BrianC
    Nl.

Comment

Thanks Brian, you saved me some aggravation as I was going to go down and buy it.

Don

Comment

I had a question about Petronix and I E-mailed them and they where very helpfull. I ha a 6 volt commander with overdrive an I wanted to know how to install a resistor on the the kick down switch and it has worked great. I would try to contact them again.

Comment

Don, Pertronix doesn't have a unit for the Autolite, they said that they are working on it and may be available next year. However, Crane Cam has a unit 700-0231 or unit 700-0232 with an external control box that you mount on the firewall. I have heard from Canadian Studebaker that it works and i ordered the 0231 unit. I should have it in a week or so and i'll keep you posted if it fires up ok.
          BrianC
          NL.

Comment

Thanks Brian, I'll look for it.

PS. does the NL in your signature stand for Newfoundland?

Don

Comment

Now this is the Autolite for the V8 I presume? Pertronix has a kit for the Autolite IAT 4001 which is for the 170 positive 6V flathead six. That number is Pertronix 1569P6, however there is a catch. That Autolite requires a removal of the post and hardware as the dist had an auto adjust feature on the points with a simple twist of the screw. That is all removed when it is installed.
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Yes by!! Newfoundland, the Rock. I'm in St. John's.

Comment

FWIW, the Crane system I installed in my '63 Daytona Wagonaire years ago was a waste of money and a disaster, leaving me temporarily stranded thrice in as many weeks. I followed the installation instructions to the letter and could not match the reliability of some well-adjusted points.

Andy
                  62 GT
                  Andy
                  62 GT

Comment

Hey Andy: Are you still running points in your GT? Does your GT or Daytona have Autolite distributor? I'm not having any problems with the points set-up in my 63 GT, however,performance is marginal and i've heard so much about how much better the conversion is and what a big difference it makes. Most say it's like a whole different performance level, an absolute must have. Maybe there's a signifigant difference in PERTRONIX and CRANE????????

Comment

Maybe I'm just lucky. I'm still running the bone-stock distributor/points setup in both GTs. Both work well enough that I can't even remember which distributors I have.[:I]

They both purr like kittens and settle into a smooth, even tone at 900+ rpm and pull San Francisco hills without drama.

The performance increase from the Crane system was imperceptable to me. Fine-tuning the carburetion and replacing the centrifugal advance springs had a much more noticeable effect on performance.

Far be it for me to knock (no pun intended) anyone's electronic ignition system. There are surely more capable mechanics here than I. It just didn't work out for me.

Andy
                      62 GT
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

I have the 1183 kit in my 60 Hawk with a no-window Delco. What's the difference between it and the 1187LS kit?
                        Mr Mike

Comment

I'm also interested in mallory electronic distributor for my 63 Champ 289

Comment

I have a GM HEI electronic distributor in my GT, it works great. I had heard of the problem of burning out the pertronix unit if the key is left on without running the engine, and it just seemed to be far too fragile to me. So I decided the factory GM unit would be the better choice. I've been running one in my '73 Ford "FE" 390 for 28 years and have never had to take a second look at it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude HEI.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	1711693 Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude HEI 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1711694

The HEI distributor head is larger in diameter than the Delco window one I replaced but it still clears the firewall of the GT ok, earlier cars might need some clearancing. I also repositioned my PCV. Where it mounts at the rear of the carb/valley pan may have worked but I thought it would be awfully close to the distributor so I used a couple brass fittings to lay the PVC down and give more clearance. I have an old Accel super coil on mine, (mainly because I like the cover) but standard HEI coils are comparable in output to it these days. I have a 3 speed overdrive trans, I still haven't completely determined how to properly operate the kick down with this distributor. I have determined how to drop a few ignition pulses but as yet have not been able to get confirmation that it will not affect the ignition module. Since I have never hit the kickdown switch without doing it intentionally to be sure it worked, I currently have simply adjusted it outside of operating limits. You don't want to cut power to the holding coil of the solenoid without cutting the ignition; the locking pawl will remain engaged until drivetrain load is sufficiently reduced, then not release smoothly. The result is unsettling at best, and could be damaging to the trans.

This distributor should work in any of the V8's but is designed to be used on a 12 volt negative ground system. If anyone is interested in one I can make more, as time permits, but a distributor gear and oil pump drive shaft, or core distributor, would be required.
                            Last edited by bensherb; 12-26-2016, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Mike View Post
                              I have the 1183 kit in my 60 Hawk with a no-window Delco. What's the difference between it and the 1187LS kit?
                              Mr Mike
                              I would be amazed if your Early Delco equipped '60 Hawk even RUNS with a '56 Packard Dual Point Autolite Distributor Pertronix Unit!

THIS is why it is important to buy your Pertronix Unit from a Studebaker Vendor like Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker who KNOWS what you need.

On line Parts Vendors and even Pertronix Co. do not know which unit is correct.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Buy Dave Thibeault's units.

Comment

Working...
                                X