Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: ELECTRONIC IGNITION Systems for Studebakers

  1. #1
    Speedster Member Champion51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Smithers, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    120

    ELECTRONIC IGNITION Systems for Studebakers

    Was just curious as to why there have been no posts,(tried search),or no entries on 'tech tips,specs' on electronic ignition systems. I am not knowledgeable with the ignition systems on cars. I imagine there are hundreds of other members in a similar predicament.

    Conversions from 'points' to electronic ignition is apparently simple but can be complicated by many factors as dictated by the year,model,make,eng.size etc. I have checked out many web pages but have found nothing specific to the 259 in my '59 Hawk. I have talked to dealers like Bill C. on the phone but am still as confused as before.

    I sure would like to see, a methodically, easily understood paper on the logistics of installing a "P." or "C." ignition system.
    As the popularity of the newer technology increases, I think members need to understand
    1)the benefits and/or drawbacks of E.I.,
    2)the basic installation procedure,
    3)the complicating factors in the various Studebaker engines such as the Ohm factor, flamethrower coil required, using the original coil, problem shooting, etc.,etc.
    4)the [u]do's and do not's</u>, as they pertain to what to purchase, how to install.

    I do want to convert over but need some help. Anyone done a conversion on a '59, 259 Hawk?

    If there are others in the same boat, please "second" this query in a short reply (the 8-ball smiley would do) and maybe something will happen? I think it would be an excellent addition to the "tech tips" on our forum! Many thanks to the individual(s) that could accomplish this challenge.


    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
    '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

    Smithers, B.C.
    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champion
    '59 "Silver Hawk" V8

    Smithers, B.C. "Where a Stude in hand is worth two in the bush"

  2. #2
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Noblesville, Indiana, USA.
    Posts
    2,250
    I used the Pertronix for my 52 commander 6v pos grnd. with a 289 stude and a flight o matic. Starts better, and seens to be good onthe road, I do need to "play" with the metering rods and jets. Carb is a 500 cfm carter/edlebrock

    Jim

  3. #3
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Perris, Ca, USA.
    Posts
    3,671
    I have used the Pertronix system on my R-2 Hawk, 60 Lark & 61 Champ with satisfying results. Being the Champ & the Lark both had a delco distributor made it real easy & the R-2 had a dual point that was available with a Pertronix.

    60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

  4. #4
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    17,350
    Dave; no offense intended, BUT I think you are over thinking this! You buy a early Delco (same '56-'60 Hawk) Pertronix Igniter system #1187LS from a Stude. Parts Vendor, take out the points and Condensor and drop in the Pertronix module in their place, connect 2 wires to coil per the instructions and forget you have a distributor! [^]

    I did it to my '59 Lark (same Dist.) and I have no electronic knowledge, nor did I need any! [:0] Runs great!

    The instructions did say NOT to mess with the resistance wire or resistor block, UNLESS you buy their High Output Flame thrower 40,000 Volt or 45,000 volt Coil which has a built-in resistance, so does not require a external resistor. So if you have a Pink resistance wire, you disconnect it and add a copper wire from the Coil to the Ign. Switch.

    There are trouble shooting instructions included if you make a mistake, otherwise none are needed and no downsides except, like all factory systems the module (pick-up) could eventually fail, you throw it away and install your spare, same as points. [:0]

    StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

  5. #5
    President Member PlainBrownR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois, USA.
    Posts
    3,950
    For me there was really nothing to the Pertronix ignition system. Just pop the cap, pull the plate and points, install the module to plate, reinstall, drop magneto(I think thats it) on shaft, and wire using the diagram inside of the box. I did one to a dual point Prestolite a coupla years ago for a 64 Lark and an Autolite 6V positive ground for a 50 pickup with the Champion six this spring. I also sprung for the Flamethrower coils for both and haven't really had a trouble with either yet.
    One thing about the Autolite though. It had a post that affixed the points, and adjustable spring , and arm. It was an adjustment mechanism to help easier set the point gap, and unfortunately, had to go. Fortunately the Pertronix was a set and forget system in this case, but if it goes, it will need a spare(but widely available) new distributor plate along with the points.

    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left][img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]

  6. #6
    Golden Hawk Member DEEPNHOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklet, GA, USA. Planet Earth
    Posts
    15,027
    There are plenty of threads on this subject..
    Just put the word Pertronix in the search box and hit enter...
    You'll find some good reading on the subject.
    Jeff[8D]



    quote:Originally posted by Champion51

    Was just curious as to why there have been no posts,(tried search),or no entries on 'tech tips,specs' on electronic ignition systems. I am not knowledgeable with the ignition systems on cars. I imagine there are hundreds of other members in a similar predicament.

    Conversions from 'points' to electronic ignition is apparently simple but can be complicated by many factors as dictated by the year,model,make,eng.size etc. I have checked out many web pages but have found nothing specific to the 259 in my '59 Hawk. I have talked to dealers like Bill C. on the phone but am still as confused as before.

    I sure would like to see, a methodically, easily understood paper on the logistics of installing a "P." or "C." ignition system.
    As the popularity of the newer technology increases, I think members need to understand
    1)the benefits and/or drawbacks of E.I.,
    2)the basic installation procedure,
    3)the complicating factors in the various Studebaker engines such as the Ohm factor, flamethrower coil required, using the original coil, problem shooting, etc.,etc.
    4)the [u]do's and do not's</u>, as they pertain to what to purchase, how to install.

    I do want to convert over but need some help. Anyone done a conversion on a '59, 259 Hawk?

    If there are others in the same boat, please "second" this query in a short reply (the 8-ball smiley would do) and maybe something will happen? I think it would be an excellent addition to the "tech tips" on our forum! Many thanks to the individual(s) that could accomplish this challenge.


    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
    '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

    Smithers, B.C.

  7. #7
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Duncan, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,372
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

    Dave; no offense intended, BUT I think you are over thinking this! You buy a early Delco (same '56-'60 Hawk) Pertronix Igniter system #1187LS from a Stude. Parts Vendor, take out the points and Condensor and drop in the Pertronix module in their place, connect 2 wires to coil per the instructions and forget you have a distributor! [^]

    StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
    Rich - I should have asked you while down in Oregon City last week, but what are the 1187LS's selling for these days?

    <h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

    Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23-25, 2009?
    </h5>

  8. #8
    President Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,136
    For what it's worth, I do believe MSD, Crane and Mallory...also make drop in modules for the Delco distributor.

    And all are just that, take the points-condensor out, install the module (and or ring) connect the wires to the coil, close the hood.
    While it can be done in the car, it's much easier to clean things up a bit and do the install on the work bench.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Speedster Member Champion51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Smithers, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    120
    OK, guys. Thanks for the info. Didn't do the right search in the first place. Lots of good stuff found under a 'Pertronix' search. Even printed off the install procedures. Thanks again!

    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
    '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

    Smithers, B.C.

  10. #10
    Speedster Member Champion51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Smithers, B.C., Canada
    Posts
    120
    Mark - Pertronix lists a IGNITOR DELCO EARLY 8cyl., 12V Neg grnd. for $100.79. The Black 40,000 V flamethrower is $31.89. It is the 1.5 Ohm which I think is suitable for my application. Don't think I really need it.

    Dave D.
    '51 "Bulletnose" Champ
    '59 "Silver Hawk V8"

    Smithers, B.C.

  11. #11
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    17,350
    Mark, with your Forum Discount, Regular Customer Discount and Good Guy Discount the FOB Ferndale, WA price is in the email I sent, but let me know if you do not receive it, lately some forum sent emails go to Spam or do not work! [:0]

    quote:Originally posted by Mark57

    Rich - I should have asked you while down in Oregon City last week, but what are the 1187LS's selling for these days?
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

  12. #12
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Duncan, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,372
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

    Mark, with your Forum Discount, Regular Customer Discount and Good Guy Discount the FOB Ferndale, WA price is in the email I sent, but let me know if you do not receive it, lately some forum sent emails go to Spam or do not work! [:0]

    quote:Originally posted by Mark57

    Rich - I should have asked you while down in Oregon City last week, but what are the 1187LS's selling for these days?
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    Thanks Rich - e-mail received & reply sent.

    <h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

    Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23-25, 2009?
    </h5>

  13. #13
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. John\'s, NL., Canada.
    Posts
    125
    I have a 63 GT Hawk with what appears to be a Autolite distrubitor with vacuum advance (no id plate). My problem is that i can't seem to get a Pertronix conversion for it. However, Pertronix does have one listed for the 57 Packard with a 283 v8, would this be the same creature?? Does anyone know of a conversion unit that i can use. Thanks, BrianC

  14. #14
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Libby, MT, USA.
    Posts
    143
    A word of caution when using the Pertronix unit when trouble shooting electrical issues, do not leave the key in the start position for very long, less than a minute, you will fry the unit. If you are doing lengthy diagnosis, disconnect the unit's wires from the coil. You will still have power to everything but the distributor. A replacement unit runs about $8.00 less then the complete setup. This is experience talking.

    Wayen K.
    Libby, MT
    61 Hawk (On the road, FINALLY)

  15. #15
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vero Beach, Florida, .
    Posts
    243
    I found an Accell Ignition module at Advance auto that is supposed to be for the Stude V8 with Autolight distributor. The part number is 1584. I don't know if that is the Accell no. or the Advance no. or both. I have not bought the unit yet so can't give you any info on operation.

    Don

  16. #16
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. John\'s, NL., Canada.
    Posts
    125
    Hello Don, I have purchased the 1584, it's a Pertronix unit for Prestolite distributor, it doesn't fit the Autolite. See my problem!! Pertronix has a unit for a distributor without vacum advance. i can't see what difference that would make and wonder if it will work. I've e-mailed Pertronix, sent them pics of the unit, no reply. I guess they're not big on customer service. Thanks anyway.
    BrianC
    Nl.

  17. #17
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vero Beach, Florida, .
    Posts
    243
    Thanks Brian, you saved me some aggravation as I was going to go down and buy it.

    Don

  18. #18
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    , ,westville indiana .
    Posts
    177
    I had a question about Petronix and I E-mailed them and they where very helpfull. I ha a 6 volt commander with overdrive an I wanted to know how to install a resistor on the the kick down switch and it has worked great. I would try to contact them again.

  19. #19
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. John\'s, NL., Canada.
    Posts
    125
    Don, Pertronix doesn't have a unit for the Autolite, they said that they are working on it and may be available next year. However, Crane Cam has a unit 700-0231 or unit 700-0232 with an external control box that you mount on the firewall. I have heard from Canadian Studebaker that it works and i ordered the 0231 unit. I should have it in a week or so and i'll keep you posted if it fires up ok.
    BrianC
    NL.

  20. #20
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vero Beach, Florida, .
    Posts
    243
    Thanks Brian, I'll look for it.

    PS. does the NL in your signature stand for Newfoundland?

    Don

  21. #21
    President Member PlainBrownR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois, USA.
    Posts
    3,950
    Now this is the Autolite for the V8 I presume? Pertronix has a kit for the Autolite IAT 4001 which is for the 170 positive 6V flathead six. That number is Pertronix 1569P6, however there is a catch. That Autolite requires a removal of the post and hardware as the dist had an auto adjust feature on the points with a simple twist of the screw. That is all removed when it is installed.

  22. #22
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. John\'s, NL., Canada.
    Posts
    125
    Yes by!! Newfoundland, the Rock. I'm in St. John's.

  23. #23
    President Member Andy R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,602
    FWIW, the Crane system I installed in my '63 Daytona Wagonaire years ago was a waste of money and a disaster, leaving me temporarily stranded thrice in as many weeks. I followed the installation instructions to the letter and could not match the reliability of some well-adjusted points.

    Andy
    62 GT

  24. #24
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. John\'s, NL., Canada.
    Posts
    125
    Hey Andy: Are you still running points in your GT? Does your GT or Daytona have Autolite distributor? I'm not having any problems with the points set-up in my 63 GT, however,performance is marginal and i've heard so much about how much better the conversion is and what a big difference it makes. Most say it's like a whole different performance level, an absolute must have. Maybe there's a signifigant difference in PERTRONIX and CRANE????????

  25. #25
    President Member Andy R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,602
    Maybe I'm just lucky. I'm still running the bone-stock distributor/points setup in both GTs. Both work well enough that I can't even remember which distributors I have.[:I]

    They both purr like kittens and settle into a smooth, even tone at 900+ rpm and pull San Francisco hills without drama.

    The performance increase from the Crane system was imperceptable to me. Fine-tuning the carburetion and replacing the centrifugal advance springs had a much more noticeable effect on performance.

    Far be it for me to knock (no pun intended) anyone's electronic ignition system. There are surely more capable mechanics here than I. It just didn't work out for me.

    Andy
    62 GT

  26. #26
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wakonda, SD, USA.
    Posts
    129
    I have the 1183 kit in my 60 Hawk with a no-window Delco. What's the difference between it and the 1187LS kit?
    Mr Mike

Similar Threads

  1. Laser Ignition Systems (goodbye sparkplugs)
    By Milaca in forum "Stove Huggers" the non-Studebaker Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 09:32 PM
  2. electronic ignition
    By alpayed in forum Tech Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 11:23 PM
  3. Electronic ignition
    By studecruiser in forum Tech Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 05:09 PM
  4. electronic ignition
    By Stude4x4 in forum Tech Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 11:30 PM
  5. Electronic Ignition
    By Razors61 in forum Tech Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •