Avanti hood insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti hood insulation

I'll be putting the hood insulation on the Avanti tomorrow and I honestly forget which side goes toward the hood and gets the glue....is it the fuzzy side or the black smooth side??

Hello,

I believe that it is the fuzzy side that goes up against the hood and the black smooth side is exposed. Not that it is any significance, but my 1963 Ford Galaxie has the fiber insulation that installs this way under the hood.

1947 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

On my Avanti the black side is exposed.

Naples, FL
      1963 Avanti R2524
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Has anyone bought SI's hood insulation? What does it look like? Any logos on it on the smooth side? I was wondering the same thing if I bought it for my Lark, which side goes out. I've seen cars with the insulation side out and thought it looked goofy. Is the above advice the same for Larks? My hood is freshly painted, but after sandblasting underneath it is not as nice as I'd like it to look. Does the insulation actually save the paint from extreme heat abuse?

Comment

I bought the early insulation pad for my Avanti from SI,but I have not yet installed it. I don't think there is anything printed on the black side. When I get home from work I will double check and repost if needed. RD
          R3266

Comment

This Avanti appears to have its insulation installefd "black side" down:http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge...y&aid=99803694

Comment

Nels,

"I'll be putting the hood insulation on the Avanti tomorrow"

Which Avanti???

Comment

Flat side down on the insulator, fuzzy out.

JDP/Maryland
                "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Chuck,I'm finishing up a 64 R1 I've had for a couple yrs. I very late car, R5529.
                  John, I think you are right. I was pretty sure I remembered the fuzzy side down but still haven't glued it on as I want to be sure.

Comment

I believe fuzzy side exposed to be correct...the flat side, assuming the material is the same as the two I bought, is actually a bit abrasive with writing on it that is neither attractive or Avanti related.

The fuzzy side, at least on my car, gets chewed up by the alternator and blower pulleys and stuck very nicely to a recently painted radiator shroud.

As an aside though, I bought two of them and one was cut so the flat side had to go down and the other vice versa!

I'm contemplating a custom pad one of these days. It does make a noticeable difference reducing engine noise in the cabin.

Ernie R2 R5388

Comment

My Avanti has the original hood insulation installed at the factory and the fuzzy side is glued to the hood.

Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

I think the factory pad is smooth on both side.

JDP/Maryland
                        "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

Thomas Jeffereson
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

This is the original factory pad.

Bob Langer
                          Glenshaw,PA

Bob Langer
                          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Odd, the one on my 64 had it on both sides, the mystery deepens..

JDP/Maryland

Thomas Jeffereson
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Well today a Stude buddy stopped over and for the first time I had two sets of hands to position the hood insulation blanket. It only fits one way and that is the finished side toward the engine. I still question if this is really right but that's how it will be going on

Comment

Working...
                              X