No announcement yet.

Missing VIN Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're planning on taking it off the S-10 chassis and putting it on a different one (maybe closer to original?), you'll probably need to get a reconstructed title. Sometimes that involves sending the titles for both the body and chassis donor vehicles in to the state, and could also involve being issued a "state issued VIN". If this is the case, then after the vehicle is rebuilt, the old VIN that matches the current title is null and void, and the new one issued by the state is used. They issue a new VIN plate with the new title. I had a '48 Dodge wrecker that had a PA state issued VIN, and the old one that was still on the old plate under the hood didn't match. Didn't matter, the state VIN plate in the doorjamb superceded it. Maybe you can look up something like this in your state, and just get a state issued VIN, and just forget about the original.

Comment

in PA they have vin verification for outta state cars, either looked at by the dmv, or your local notary public, or they will accept tracings, and even digital photo....

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

True, when I brought my Caddy home from Ohio, the notary had to look at the plate. But I knew the guy, and didn't bring the car (not inspected), so he never did look at it.

Aren't the numbers on the R-series trucks stamped in, not out from the back? I can't remember off hand, and my truck is a mile away in the garage where I store it. If so, go find an old VIN plate somewhere, like a boneyard, sand the numbers off (as I remember, they're not punched too deep), and stamp yours in.

Comment

Working...
        X