Missing VIN Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing VIN Plate

A friend bought a 1949 Studebaker truck off ebay had it delivered across the US only to find out there is a missing VIN plate. We have title, but nothing to match it. Need help.
    Thanks Be

Are you sure you are looking in the right place for the plate ?

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Depending on the state, the truck may have been titled off the engine number. You may want to check the front of the block to see if it matches. The serial number plate will be on the left side seat riser.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Nobody at the DMV is going to know where the plate is or what it looks like on a 1949 Studebaker. If you have the title you're fine. Get a cheap stamping kit and either stamp the number directly on the door post, or on an appropriate length section from a hose clamp and pop-rivet on, or get one of the repro plates that show up on eBay from time to time.

Steve Hudson
        The Dalles, Oregon
        1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
        1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
        1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
        1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
        1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
        1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
        The Dalles, Oregon
        1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
        1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
        1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

I'm sure I'm looking in the right spot, seat riser (driver's side)to the back. I can see two straight slotted screws that I assume they held in the plate, but no plate. Also the truck was put onto an S10 four wheel drive frame many moons ago and uses a chevy engine, so engine number wouldn't be correct either. My friend bought it as a basket case, the guy who sold it to him...said "of course there is a title". He just didn't mention that there is no VIN plate until it was delivered to the midwest! I'm sure this isn't a stolen vehicle, I can't image anyone stealing a truck that was in this condition, but clearly we can't title it any where until I can find a reproduction plate. My friend, called the guy who sold it to him, who stated he had it somewhere and we would look for it and pigs will learn to fly before that happens in my opinion.

Also I spent 7 years (30 years ago) working for DMV here inspecting cars and even back then we had books that told us what the vin plates looked like and how they were attached (spot welded, rivets, roseette rivets, straight screws,etc.), so I don't think a piece of metal and a set of number stamps are going to cut it, unless of course that's what they originally looked like and judging from the width of the screws that held the plate on, it was a large plate probably with writing and then stamped.
          Be

Comment

I don't know what state you live in, and I'm sure the DMV laws vary, but I have never lived in a state (and I've lived in several) that inspect the serial number plate for every car that enters the state. I just go to the DMV office with the signed and dated out of state title and am issued a new title for my state. Are there actually states that want to look at the serial number plate for EVERY car that is newly registered in that state?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Don't come to Nebraska then, because every car coming into the state gets inspected for Title and VIN plate and a NCIC, NCIS check is run on every out of state vehicle too.
              Be

Comment

Every car coming into Nevada gets an inspection including VIN/Serial # verification. My 51 was titled to the engine # and they held up registration until I could get a "new" title from the old state titled to the Serial #. Took 7 weeks.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
                '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

SC,Anything coming from out of state has to be visually verified.Not saying they couldnt be fooled as they just match the number on the vehicle to the number on the title.Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Just go to Home Depot and buy an aluminum scuff plate for the bottom of the door and cut off the right size piece and then get a decal off ebay install it and take it to a trophy shop and have it engraved. Then soak it for a while in battery acid and you're good to go.

Comment

Just to let you know I did find someone to make me up a VIN plate with the Studebaker logo and correctly punched from the back so that the numbers stand out not punched in for my friend's truck. (I'm going to have to assume that he has seen one, where I haven't and that is how they are correctly punched??) The only thing he said was that his font is a little smaller than what Studebaker originally used, but personally I don't think that's going to be a problem. Thanks for all the advice on this issue. Now, all I have to do is come up with a pattern for the cardboard headliner and a few other interior parts and I can get started on doing his interior.
                      Be

Comment

I can tell you that in BC a visual inspection of the VIN is completed on each out of province new registration application. When I imported my truck last summer there was a small amount of drama as the Texas Title I had, showed the serial as "F6#" instead of "E6#". Fortunately, I had some Studebaker literature reprints showing that Studebaker never made an "F" series (Thank goodness!! [}][:0]).

As well, the clerk did have to get an OK from head office before they would complete the registration. Interestingly enough, neither the US or Canadian Border authorities bothered to compare the numbers.

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar Deluxe
                        Vancouver Island
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Georgia. At least here in Douglas County anyhow.

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I don't know what state you live in, and I'm sure the DMV laws vary, but I have never lived in a state (and I've lived in several) that inspect the serial number plate for every car that enters the state. I just go to the DMV office with the signed and dated out of state title and am issued a new title for my state. Are there actually states that want to look at the serial number plate for EVERY car that is newly registered in that state?
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Douglasville, Georgia
                          Be sure to check out my eBay store
                          http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_ and my EZ33 store http://tinyurl.com/2g2j88
                          for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Dick,
                            Oregon wanted to see my cars that I brought into the state from Calif.
                            They also wanted to see my wife's "51 Starlight before issueing a new title. When I brought in on a trailer, all they asked to see is the ID plate on the door hinge pillar.

George
                            Grants Pass, Oregon
                            65 Commander 2door
                            64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
                            63 Champ
                            63 GT Hawk
                            51 Champion Starlight Coupe
                            George King
                            Grants Pass, Oregon
                            64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

The aluminum plate at the rear of the step well isn't the serial number plate. It has the body number, paint, and trim codes.
                              The serial number plate is stainless and was usually spot welded and/or screwed in place. It's also located in the step well, below the left end of the seat, as you look straight in.

Dwain G.
                              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                              X