No announcement yet.

Rack & pinion installs on Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerry....what front sway bar are You using?
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
      Jerry....what front sway bar are You using?
      '80 Olds Cutlass. The hanger brackets mounted to the frame horns are temps. I'll redo them when I set the front sheet metal on.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I used A pinto. Not some thing I would do again. I think I will go to something else. Have you had any luck?

Comment

I put a Slick street into a '62 Hawk GT a couple of years ago. I bought the setup since I was going to a daily driver and sbc engine. The rack is an Omni unit and non-power. Once the alignment was set it performed quite well. I did add a center support bearing for the column so I could use iron manifolds and not block huggers. The unit worked quite well but was pricey. I also converted the front and rear to power disc brakes. The setup came with upper and lower control arms, rack and pinion, upper and lower ball joints. I did provide a slightly tighter turning radius over stock. All the original steering was removed. I change to a saginaw tilt steering column.

Comment

As noted previously, the 1989 GM Skylark unit was installed in to my '63 Hawk. It will be switched out in favor of the same type of unit (GM, etc.) but with the "quick turn" feature (2 1/2 lock-to-lock). Advice? Use the BEST welder you can find to do any brackets or mods. As my welding instructor commented, "If you have to ask someone if it is a good weld - It needs to be done over correctly".
            Paul TK

Comment

I don't have any direct Studebaker car knowledge for a swap but I would look at the Unisteer products. They have a kit for 58-62 Corvette which was a center pivot arm steer car. That might fit with a little mounting bracket modification.
              Norm

Comment

Working...
              X