No announcement yet.

Rack & pinion installs on Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone in Tn offers a set-up to install R&P in a Stude. He used to run an ad in TW promoting this system. I think I know who he is but need to check into it before I say so publically. I saw a Hawk on a trailer in Va about a year ago that he had just finished and it looked great. Its owner had the swap done for reasons similar to what you quote. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

All my Studebakers have R&P steering...problem is that in my case the R&P means "Ramble and Pray!"
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

how can I find that thread

Comment

Hi Christineman, I found the ad in a back issue of TW. The company is Slick Street stuff for rods and customs. They are in Knoxville Tn. The phone listed in the ad is 865-525-6151. The system in the Hawk looked very proffessional and was designed for a heavy car, much better than most conversions I have seen. Good Luck, Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Je
            ff, I'd be willing to bet that if you got the front end of your Lark in top condition, added factory power steering, and spent the rest of the time, effort and money you would have invested in that R&P job it the rest of the Lark you would wind up with a REALLY nice car that would you be even happier with than with just the R&P conversion.
            X2 on this advice. Again, please do your research. There are several threads here discussing R&P in general and the Slick Street in particular. It is not a step to be taken in haste. Don't just read about it. It would be a good investment to drive or fly to meet someone who had done EXACTLY the conversion you are considering and drive his car.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Isnt slick street the same company as Phantom .. they jsut split and Phantom sells interior
              pieces and slick street sells the suspension stuff?

Maybe I am wrong on that, but I seem to remember reading it.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Imagine my suprise when I saw this four year old thread pop back up to the top

Looked into rack & pinion steering for my Lark. I decided it was not worth the time and effort.

Jeff T.
                \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                The Replacements.

Comment

Its a GOOD sign, that means people are using the SEARCH feature!

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Dave thibeault sells all you need to retrofit a later model stude power steering sytem. It works quite well. The problem I have had is that the later model lark and avanti stuff has some fitment issues, but only if you contemplate additional mosifications. The steering bellcrank on the PS setup is a long arm that runs roughly parallell in front of the radiator and it's bracket, so its really close. Any fan, shroud or radiator mods will impact this choice. Also, the sliding valve assembly and hoses and pitman arm can be very close to exhaust pipes, and impinge on R3 headers, if you contemplate any exhaust manifold changes. I wish I couldve use dR and P on my latest project with twin turbos, it wouldve given me much more room at the steering box.I judged the R&P too be just too much hassle.

Harger/slick street/phantom system requires alot of fabrication skills, and bump steer remains an issue for many people. Thanks, m weiss

Comment

Don't forget that Jerry Forrester put a late GM R&P in his. And best of all he is a forum member that can talk about the issues involved.

He has some pictures posted on the forum so you may want to search under his name and R&P.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                        Isnt slick street the same company as Phantom .. they jsut split and Phantom sells interior
                        pieces and slick street sells the suspension stuff?

Maybe I am wrong on that, but I seem to remember reading it.

Tom
                        Rene Harger sold the Phantom name and interior company, he is not affiliated with Phantom Autoworks anymore. Before he sold it, he also had "Slick Street Stuff" selling hot rod stuff for Studes. He continues to operate Slick Street Stuff, and a new interior company, "Southeast Studebaker".

Comment

Another thread on the subject:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

you mentioned the closed thing to a bolt in was a 85 skylarkR&P. do you know of anyone who has used this and installed it I can contact???

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                              Don't forget that Jerry Forrester put a late GM R&P in his. And best of all he is a forum member that can talk about the issues involved.

He has some pictures posted on the forum so you may want to search under his name and R&P.

Bob
                              Jerry,
                              Could not find the last thread where I promissed info on the CTO rear mount R&P. One available is from Total Control Products - It appears to be an excellent fit for Stude's. One drawback - It is priced @ $2,095 (power - 1895 manual); too rich for me. Perhaps someone can identify the source for the rack (possibly Europe or Australia?).
                              Paul Keller

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
                                It is priced @ $2,095
                                I don't think they'll be selling many of those to the Studebaker owners.

Originally posted by Paul Keller View Post
                                (possibly Europe or Australia?).
                                Then that would be RHC. Wont work for me.

Here's a couple pix of my installation.

More detailed pix here.
                                Attached Files
                                Jerry Forrester
                                Forrester's Chrome
                                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                                X