Custom Wheels for a 47 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Wheels for a 47 Champ

I would like to install custom aluminum wheels and tires on my 47 Champion "Starlight" coupe. Does anyone have suggestions as to size and manufacturer of wheels and size of tires that will fit?
    The origional wheels are 4 bolt and (as near as I can measure) a 4" b.c. with a 5" width. They are 15" dia. The origional tires were a 5.60 x 15 but I think most were refitted with 6.40 x 15.

F.Y.I., the car is totally stock mechanically and in appearence but I am thinking just a "hint of modern" (the wheels and tires) will make a stand out car.

Let me know what you find. I looked for custom wheels for my 48 Champion and the only thing I came up with was hubcaps ( full moon) and I still had to remove the hubcap clips for them to fit.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Oh! BTW, Welcome to the forum!

Comment

The original tire size was 5.50x15 which later became 6.40x15. I am currently running 205/75/15 and the right front tire does rub slightly on full left turn. 195/75/15 would probably be best but they can be harder to find and more expensive.

Comment

Thanks Gary for the welcome. I am an old hand with Studebakers having owned them since high school almost 50 years ago. I just sold a beautiful 55 President coupe and am now turning my attention to this 47 "Starlight". This wheel quest might turn out to be more diffucult that I expected.

Comment

If you find anything interesting on the wheels let me know please, either on this forum or e/mail thank you.

Comment

Its my understanding the 4 bolt champ wheels have the same bolt pattern as '78-'93 ford "fox" body cars (mustang, fairmont, small LTD, thunderbird). Most of those cars had 14" rims and some 15". Given the mustang use, there out to be a wide selection of aftermarket wheels. That said, I have no idea if the wheel offset would allow using them on a '47. Also, I have no personal experience to verify the bolt pattern is the same. I've got some 15" aluminum ones from a '85 tbird in the basement I could measure if interested.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks Jeff for the tip. I'll check it out.

Comment

As per a previous thread, I spent some time in the local Pick-a-part looking for wheels for my four-lug Champ. NOTHING matched up.
                  I lost my notes but FORDS were 4 1/4" or so. GM Cavalier etc. were also not the same. I found no Falcons to look at as was suggested by a previous thread. And there are no more Chevy Vegas[:0].
                  What I did find was a whole lot of foreign and some early Chrysler FWD cars with very close measurements. I have to guess the spacing was 100mm? Not close enough...

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                  X