"Age Old Problem"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Age Old Problem"

Over the many years of Studebaker ownership (V-8's) I have found that when they get hot after a good run (summer months) they are a b-eech to re-start...especially Avanti models....all parts are normally 100% and function fine.. I have heard other Avanti owners complain about the same malady.[?]

In the case of Avantis, I have to wonder if when starters got replaced along the way, a standard V8 starter wasn't subbed for the higher torque Avanti starter.
    Of course, as Avantis go, I can't speak from experience. I've never owned one and never endeavored to.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

In the case of Avantis, I have to wonder if when starters got replaced along the way, a standard V8 starter wasn't subbed for the higher torque Avanti starter.
      Of course, as Avantis go, I can't speak from experience. I've never owned one and never endeavored to.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Could also very well be fuel boiling out of the carb; much more common today than it used to be.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Could also very well be fuel boiling out of the carb; much more common today than it used to be.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Starter is 100%...no heat soak....but I would tend to agree with Nate..this has been a problem for years...with all brands of fuel.... as soon as the seasons change and the temps moderate to fall then early winter.........no problem..

Comment

Starter is 100%...no heat soak....but I would tend to agree with Nate..this has been a problem for years...with all brands of fuel.... as soon as the seasons change and the temps moderate to fall then early winter.........no problem..

Comment

Hey Laemmie, Are you talking R1s or R2s or both? And do you give them a "little" gas as you are cranking them up? Works EVERY time with my R2. Never had a problem with mine on a hot start. But then mine being an R2 it does NOT have air and so it does not get above 180 degrees on the gauge--ever, not in my ownership that is (160 degree thermostat).

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

Hey Laemmie, Are you talking R1s or R2s or both? And do you give them a "little" gas as you are cranking them up? Works EVERY time with my R2. Never had a problem with mine on a hot start. But then mine being an R2 it does NOT have air and so it does not get above 180 degrees on the gauge--ever, not in my ownership that is (160 degree thermostat).

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

Wa-Gone.........It's an R-1 with A/C....I have a 160 'stat and I do goose the gas a bit when cranking....and I am very aware(sp) of the ammeter when it finally starts....needle going 3/4 to full charge....then tapers down...that cranking sure sucks the life from the 'ol Interstate Mega.....yea, Mega my butt.............!

Comment

Wa-Gone.........It's an R-1 with A/C....I have a 160 'stat and I do goose the gas a bit when cranking....and I am very aware(sp) of the ammeter when it finally starts....needle going 3/4 to full charge....then tapers down...that cranking sure sucks the life from the 'ol Interstate Mega.....yea, Mega my butt.............!

Comment

Laemmie, What part of the country are you in and how hot does it need to be before you experience a hard start? I still have a FEW problems with my R2, but as I said that's not one of them. But with the higher compression R1 and a/c I can sure believe it. I miss the a/c, but I sure like the poke of the R2. YEARS ago I had a '61 Hawk with the four speed and WCFB Carter. The R series engines and the R2 in particular are way beyond the '61, as it didn't have much--but I digress. Cooler weather is on the way........fall is not far off and I hope it is a LONG season here in the midwest.

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

Laemmie, What part of the country are you in and how hot does it need to be before you experience a hard start? I still have a FEW problems with my R2, but as I said that's not one of them. But with the higher compression R1 and a/c I can sure believe it. I miss the a/c, but I sure like the poke of the R2. YEARS ago I had a '61 Hawk with the four speed and WCFB Carter. The R series engines and the R2 in particular are way beyond the '61, as it didn't have much--but I digress. Cooler weather is on the way........fall is not far off and I hope it is a LONG season here in the midwest.

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Comment

A lot of us have come into this problem in recent years and it has a lot to do with the newer formulation of gasoline. It seems to have a lighter density and will evaporate easily in a carburated car, since there's a vent on top of the carb. I've thought about plugging this hole, but haven't yet. Fuel injected cars don't have a problem because the systems are sealed and there's no where for the vapors to go..
                            Recently, I added an electric fuel pump onto my 55 Pres because it was doing the exact same thing as yours. With a 6 volt car, it can get painfull listening to that laboring Delco, grinding away.
                            I installed a pull switch for the pump and use it to 'fill' the carb for a half minute or so. This also allows the Pertronix to soak up and when you crank it, it starts almost immediately.
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

A lot of us have come into this problem in recent years and it has a lot to do with the newer formulation of gasoline. It seems to have a lighter density and will evaporate easily in a carburated car, since there's a vent on top of the carb. I've thought about plugging this hole, but haven't yet. Fuel injected cars don't have a problem because the systems are sealed and there's no where for the vapors to go..
                              Recently, I added an electric fuel pump onto my 55 Pres because it was doing the exact same thing as yours. With a 6 volt car, it can get painfull listening to that laboring Delco, grinding away.
                              I installed a pull switch for the pump and use it to 'fill' the carb for a half minute or so. This also allows the Pertronix to soak up and when you crank it, it starts almost immediately.
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                              X