1950 champion water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 champion water pump

Thanks for all the advice so far. My '50 Champion water pump leaks. I have never had it off and the car has 24k orig miles, I don't think even the wires have been changed. Anyway, the water pump leaks and I want to know if it is "really bad" or can I grease it or fix it somehow. I can't see how a low milage water pump can leak. Any advice on what I should do? Thanks, Tom LaMartina , Lynchburg, VA

Tom LaMartina

Tom,

Age makes lots of us leak - even if we've had a relatively easy life all the way. There's nothing to "grease". buy a rebuilt pump and exchange it. You'll both be happier.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There are a few things that will start leaking on the water pump when it gets old: the gasket and seal between the pump and the block (gasket and sealing compound old, dry), the hoses (old, dry, brittle), the bearing and shaft in the pump (long years of sitting without changing the coolant = bit of rust on the shaft or bearing surfaces = wear when it gets driven again), rust on the impeller surface, rust on the inside body of the pump... Re-greasing the water pump won't really fix any of that, but it will buy you some time if it's "only" the bearing. Water pump is a relatively easy fix, not too expensive. You can get a rebuilt one for $50-$75, plus the cost of the gaskets and some sealant and a new jug of antifreeze. It's worth it.

And it's often not merely the mileage, i.e. the number of hours the unit has operated, but also just the age of the darn thing.

Comment

I put a new water pump on my 48 Champion about three months ago and I found that by the time you fool around with shipping core, your about as well off to by a new pump. Availible from most vendors.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Working...
        X