The worth of a Stratoline radio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worth of a Stratoline radio?

Still unpacking dash stuff from the boxes they have been hiding in the last 10 years. I have the original radio out, it says Studebaker Stratoline. No idea it if works. Glasss is missing. The cord is broke so the dial wont turn the stations. Chrome is fair to poor.

Plus, I have modified the firewall for engine clearance and this big old radio will not fit back in anyway. But it does have style. I figure I will rip it apart and just refresh and install the faceplate back in the dash. It should look like the original radio is there, even if it doesn't work.

So, is it a crime to trash one of these old radios? How bad should I feel about this plan?

Dan
    52 hardtop

I have a few I was going to trash. Throw yours away, and I'll ship you mine and the Studebaker world stay in balance.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 wagon
    39 Coupe express
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Ok, so clearly they are not treasured keepsakes. John I will email you offline. If you are really dumping one, I at least need the glass or whatever is easiest for you.

Dan
      52 hardtop

Comment

It's the "Transtar" Motorola radios that are worth the big coin.... one went for $211 on eBay last night. Wish I had a pallet of those to sell.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

The glass is no good on my trash radios, sorry.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,839.60
          63 Lark 2 door
          57 wagon
          39 Coupe express
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Ah - well, I'll make do with this one. A little polish, a little spit...
            Seems like somebody in TW does radios. And can probably supply the glass dial cover?

Dan
            52 hardtop

Comment

This is the 8-tube radio with 7 buttons? Made by Philco, they are a pretty decent radio for the era.

Should be no scarcity of parts.

If I were going to gut a Stude radio to install later components, I'd prefer to do one of the el-cheapo manual radios, but that's me.

I think Dan Skidmore is in SDC, and he does radio repair and conversion. A non-SDCer who does mainly AM-FM conversions is Gary Tayman. Search for Tayman Electrical, you should find him.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Mark, don't spend too much on one of those Motorola radios, you'll lose a bunch of points and pay too much! Those are the aftermarket ones! The real Transtar Radio is a Delco with "Transtar" painted on the glass! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

It's the "Transtar" Motorola radios that are worth the big coin.... one went for $211 on eBay last night. Wish I had a pallet of those to sell.
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Mark, don't spend too much on one of those Motorola radios, you'll lose a bunch of points and pay too much! Those are the aftermarket ones! The real Transtar Radio is a Delco with "Transtar" painted on the glass! [:0]

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  Rich - that's interesting as I rechecked the '57 to '61 Truck Parts book and for the C-Cab trucks it references a Motorola radio as being the one available for these trucks?

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Try this place for dial glass:
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Here are both radios shown in the dash of a 52 Champion.

Mine does not have the buttons, so I am guessing this would be the less desirable of the two. Instead there is script writing that says Studebaker Starline.

Dan
                      52 hardtop

Comment

Can't seem to edit the post today, but a correction is in order.

Looked last night and my radio, non push button type, clearly says "Starline" on the front. Not Stratoline.

Dan
                        52 hardtop

Comment

Yes, looks like you have base model manual-tune radio. IMHO, it would be no great loss to gut it out and convert it to AM-FM. Not sure of the conversion will work if the car remains on a six-volt system, but the guys who conversion will know.

I have one or two of those manual radios in my junk. One, at least, has a missing dial glass. I can have a look for you once I get home. You can get service data for these radios on the Web. It's entirely possible to fix them yourself if you have the patience.

Comment

Working...
                          X