Thread: Amazing intersection in Ethiopia.

President Member

Amazing intersection in Ethiopia.

Sheer, unadulterated chaos.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Do you think there are rules or is it just every man for himself?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

President Member
    Don,
    Without any painted guidelines, signal lights or such, I would say you are probably right on the money with QUOTE] every man for himself?[/QUOTE] I can't believe we didn't witness any carnage.
    Bill

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    My guess is that traffic flows smoother there than if there were lights, lanes, turn lanes. I've discovered drivers in most foreign countries don't need as much guidance as we do in North America and are more alert and aware of what's happening around them. They are also more courteous than we are. They don't bully their way. They take turns. I have not seen nearly as much road rage.

Also, the video is speeded up. Try it at .25 playback speed. The pedestrians are still walking at a faster than normal rate at even at that speed. Not quit as daunting.
    Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 05-15-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick, all I have to do to refute your "guess" is go to YouTube and find hundreds of frightening videos of accidents in countries around the world.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    My guess is that traffic flows smoother there than if there were lights, lanes, turn lanes. I've discovered drivers in most foreign countries don't need as much guidance as we do in North America and are more alert and aware of what's happening around them. They are also more courteous than we are. They don't bully their way. They take turns. I have not seen nearly as much road rage.

Also, the video is speeded up. Try it at .25 playback speed. The pedestrians are still walking at a faster than normal rate at even at that speed. Not quit as daunting.
    Exactly my thoughts. There's more indecision at a four way stop here than all the traffic in this video. Having driven in a few foreign countries, it takes a bit of time to learn the local rules but generally it's anyone with a slight advantage has the right of way and it works.

Probably a number of reasons but I'll suggest one is there is just less recourse than here both with insurance, if much exists and also in the legal system.

Bob
    , ,

Golden Hawk Member
    I would have rather seen the intersection traffic at the correct speed.
    It reminds me of going around the traffic circles/roundabouts near Vassar College just before noon today.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I drove in Rome in the seventies and there were quite a few intersections like that. When I went back in 2001 I was disappointed that they have lights now. They are very alert and as stated above if your car is a nose ahead you have the right to begin moving over ....and they other guy will yield. I had guys on scooters brush their sleeve on my fender and just kept going.

No problem. You must be very alert.

I'd much rather drive there than here with the dolts texting while driving.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    There's more indecision at a four way stop here than all the traffic in this video.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    My observations:
    No signals or stop signs
    There were no wrecks.
    No pedestrians got run over.
    No road rage incidents.
    One guy even stopped at the intersection and got out of his car to do something.

Here is a lesson learned by the Dutch not too long ago. If you eliminate all the distracting signs, drivers and pedestrians will pay very close attention to what is going on around them because they know that nobody has to obey any specific traffic laws. Every person for themselves. I would wager they have fewer traffic accidents, injuries and deaths per capita. The Netherlands started experimenting with removing traffic signs and discovered that driver behavior improved dramatically and accidents were reduced. Pay attention to the number of signs on our streets and highways in this country. And many people don't pay any attention to them anyway. They just depend on the next driver to be paying attention to them.

This reminds me of some of the intersections in downtown Panama City, Panama.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I spent a few months in Sicily during Desert Shield / Desert Storm. My experience was very similar to t walgamuth's. Watch the other driver's bumper and fender. If you have an inch they will yield. If you make eye contact with the other driver they will take that as having the right of way. The most aggravating thing to me about driving in Sicily was being on a nearly empty freeway and the guy coming up behind you waits until the last second to get in the passing lane and misses your rear bumper by 3-4 feet. Every once in a while I would go into road rage mode. When it looked like one of these drivers would do the last second maneuver I would start drifting over into the passing lane. I lead a few almost into the ditch and then I got to watch their startled/mad looks on their faces as they completed the pass.

Although there wasn't an actual sound track to the video, I doubt if there were honking horns. I was somewhat surprised last year in Italy and this year in Mexico that in the big cities, you don't hear horns honking. I don't think there are any rules against honking your horn, it just seems that people know it's pretty much useless and obnoxious. In the US, it's non stop horns. We probably use them mostly to "penalize" other drivers.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    My observations:
    No signals or stop signs
    There were no wrecks.
    No pedestrians got run over.
    No road rage incidents.
    One guy even stopped at the intersection and got out of his car to do something.

Here is a lesson learned by the Dutch not too long ago. If you eliminate all the distracting signs, drivers and pedestrians will pay very close attention to what is going on around them because they know that nobody has to obey any specific traffic laws. Every person for themselves. I would wager they have fewer traffic accidents, injuries and deaths per capita.
    Here's some stats (road fatalities per 100,000 residents per year)

US 12.4
    Canada 5.8
    Neatherlands 3.8
    Mexico 12.3
    Italy 5.6
    UK 3.1
    Germany 4.1
    France 5.5
    Ethiopia 26.7 (maybe they do need a few traffic lights )
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I've lived in Stockholm, grew up there, Gøteborg & Amsterdam & in A'dam people do loads of ilegal trafic stuff but in my 18 years of living there I've seen 3 axidents, but in Stockholm & Gøteborg there's loads of crashes all the time & Swedes really obey rules! I reckon it has to do with frustration.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Sweden...2.8 road fatalities per 100,000 residents
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA