Carb substitution on Thunderbolt 283

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Carb substitution on Thunderbolt 283

I'm thinking it might be better to replace rather than rebuild the old Rochester 2-barrel. Has anyone found a good replacement for their GM powered V8 Stude?
    Thanks!

Actually, those 2GV Rochesters were not bad carburetors. Not terribly economical, but usually pretty consistent running.

Comment

There was a Carter two-barrel made specifically to replace the Rochester 2GC, but good luck finding one.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
        Actually, those 2GV Rochesters were not bad carburetors. Not terribly economical, but usually pretty consistent running.
        I agree. I have three of them on an Offenhauser manifold on a Ford FE. They work almost as well as the stock three Holleys, but don't look as cool. I say almost because they're smaller. They're almost as hard to find now too.

Comment

Same as the Stude powerplant -

Four barrel manifolds are abundant.
          You didn't really say that you wanted to stay with a 2 barrel..!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
            Same as the Stude powerplant -

Four barrel manifolds are abundant.
            You didn't really say that you wanted to stay with a 2 barrel..!

Mike
            That's true, you're talking about a small block chevy here, the sky is the limit, and parts are cheap too. You might look at a TBI unit, they were factory on the SBC for decades, and stand alone controlers are available.

Comment

Edelbrock Performer EPS intake manifold and an Edelbrock 500 cfm carburetor. That will help a lot and not break the bank. The EPS intake is optimized for square-bore carbs though it is slightly more expensive than the standard Performer intake.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Many thanks, Guys!

Comment

Working...
                X