Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Scotsman SW with Twin Traction option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Scotsman SW with Twin Traction option?

Does anyone know if the Scotsman was optioned with Twin Traction, did it get the TT emblem like the other trim levels?

Twin Traction was not an option on a 1957 Pelham station wagon so I assume that it was not on a Scotsman from the factory. Couldn't locate anything one way or the other for the Scotsman. A parts book may provide the answer that you are looking for. I do not have one available. The 1957 Salesmen's Data Book states that TT is only available with V8s.

EDIT: The 1958 Salesmen's Data Book states that Twin Traction is available for all Studebakers (including Scotsman wagons).
    Perhaps that was a running change during the 1957 model year.

Now, to directly answer your question. If the Twin Traction was installed at the factory (on the production order), I assume that the vehicle received a TT emblem.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here's the front and rear of the 1957 Studebaker [Champion] Scotsman "brochure" single-page sheet; PD1083A.

It shows Twin Traction being available at extra cost. Click to enlarge:

Click image for larger version

Name:	57scotsmanfront.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1727736

Click image for larger version

Name:	57scotsmanrear0005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1727737

I've never seen a 1957 or 1958 Scotsman with the characteristic TT die-cast emblem, but that doesn't mean they weren't so equipped if Twin Traction was ordered. They might have charged the regular option price for Twin Traction but saved a little money by not putting the TT emblem(s) on the cars. I do not know. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My '57 Clipper Wagon has "TT" as a stock item. Emblem is on rear deck lid. Photo to follow.
        Bill

Comment

The 1956-57 had a decal on the dash when equipped, and not every car with a TT had an emblem.
          The body book says the emblem was available 1957-58, All (wagons ) . Not sure why they would not want to advertise such a cool option better.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            I've never seen a 1957 or 1958 Scotsman with the characteristic die-cast emblem, but that doesn't mean they weren't so equipped if Twin Traction was ordered. They might have charged the regular option price for Twin Traction but saved a little money by not putting the emblem(s) on the cars. I do not know.
            Years ago, Mark Soholt had a Canyon Copper 1958 Scotsman four door sedan with Twin Traction. It did not have the 'TT' emblem on the trunklid, but it did have the warning label on the dash.

Craig

Comment

Im planning on installing TT in the Scotsman and wanted to copy what the factory would have done. I will at least install the decal. I think Studebaker International should have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavender_L57 View Post
                Im planning on installing TT in the Scotsman and wanted to copy what the factory would have done. I will at least install the decal. I think Studebaker International should have it.
                In the absence of further confirmation, Kevin; that's what I'd do. Good plan. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Comment

Comment

We'll.... I found this 57 Scotsman on eBay and it has the TT emblem! Look at the dash and lack of trim. When I'm ready I'll have to get the location for the SW. Cool 😎.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavender_L57 View Post
                        We'll.... I found this 57 Scotsman on eBay and it has the TT emblem! Look at the dash and lack of trim. When I'm ready I'll have to get the location for the SW. Cool ������.
                        Interesting, Kevin; thanks. 'First one I've seen, but that shouldn't be surprising: I can't imagine how few Scotsmans would have been ordered with Twin Traction.

In any case, that's a good reason to "never say never" in the hobby! BP

Comment

I know...., what are the odds of finding photos like these! I could have looked for years to see evidence of the TT emblem. I like finding small details like this!

Comment

Working...
                          X