R3 Powered Rockne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3 Powered Rockne

My son sent me the link to this. Mighty cool in my opinion.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Wow! I'd sure love to see that one in person!

Comment

I think I'm in love. Nice hot rod.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I'm not much on old school rods. They mostly seem the same - '32 Fords with either flathead Fords or Hemis.

But this one is different. One of a kind. I'd drive it.

Comment

A real tie-in in that he resides in Paxton, Mass.
          It has two wig-wag tail lights (there was a recent topic on them here).
          Last edited by studegary; 04-19-2019, 06:11 PM. Reason: missing s
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wow! Even "wig-wag" tail lights. Put some fenders on that and it would be my perfect hot rod.

Comment

Excellent and certainly unusual in this day and age... or, perhaps in any age. Thanks for the post!

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                I'm not much on old school rods. They mostly seem the same - '32 Fords with either flathead Fords or Hemis.

But this one is different. One of a kind. I'd drive it.
                I'm pretty bored with T's and A's sporting SBC's and Flatheads. I'd much rather see an unusual motor on display. Dave Chalberg's Stude-powered Erskine is a favorite. There a nice Nailhead-powered rod that shows up around here, too. I'm waiting for the day someone shows up with a T-bucket powered by a Mazda Rotary engine!

Comment

Originally posted by BobWaitz View Post
                  I'm pretty bored with T's and A's sporting SBC's and Flatheads. I'd much rather see an unusual motor on display. Dave Chalberg's Stude-powered Erskine is a favorite. There a nice Nailhead-powered rod that shows up around here, too. I'm waiting for the day someone shows up with a T-bucket powered by a Mazda Rotary engine!
                  Mazda rotarys aren't very impressive to look at. Small, no chrome. But on open pipes, they're plenty loud.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                    Mazda rotarys aren't very impressive to look at. Small, no chrome. But on open pipes, they're plenty loud.
                    I remember someone coming into the dealership with a Mazda RX7 that he wanted to trade in. The hood was all dented up from the inside out. Strange things that I remember.
                    I was riding with a guy that was driving an RX7 that I was considering buying. He was doing about 75 coming into town in a 55 zone. He asked if I minded going fast. I said no, thinking that he was referring to 75. He immediately took it up to over 100.
                    Early on, I had a tutorial on rotary engines by an engineering professor from the USMA (West Point).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Really nice. Only change I would make is put a rear bumper on it . Probably a 40s Briz bumper. Or make one that looks like a Cord bumper.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Just my $.02 . . . I would buy the hot rod, remove the R3, and save it for the Avanti I would eventually buy. I just can't see having that rare engine in anything but a Stude . . . preferably my Avanti.

Comment

Yup Michael,
                          I agree and to keep it real interesting AND different from the usual Chevs, I'd use a done up big block 455 Olds W-30 with over 500 lbs of torque.
                          Bill

Comment

Mmm, for what appears to be a cool little car, there's sure a lot of loose, unkempt and or unfinished wiring hanging from behind the dashboard !? And the open wires to what appears to be the on-off switch. At least tuck all that loose stuff under the dash and zip-tie to something before showing up at a Hot Rod shoot.
                            Mechanically it appears to be nicely done.

Mike

Comment

Gotta have fenders! Stick transmission is the way to go. Love it! Too many lazy people with automatics.
                              1936 Dictator
                              1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                              1953 Commander Regal HT
                              1953 2R5 Pickup
                              1947 M16 Truck
                              1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                              1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                              1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                              1962 GT Hawk
                              1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                              1963 GT Hawk R2
                              1964 Daytona Convertible
                              1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Working...
                              X