My 1962 Studebaker Lark Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1962 Studebaker Lark Cruiser

I recently got the go ahead from the wife to get a new project car (as I'd been without for a few years having sold everything off while moving). I had been eyeing this Lark Cruiser for a few weeks on Craigslist and kept thinking to myself "That's the one!"

When the owner dropped it to $1800, I had to move on it. Hard to find a decent running, decent shape project for that price in California. So, after putting some money down with the owner, I waited two weeks, then picked her up yesterday. Because the wife was gracious enough to let me get her, I let her name the Lark.

Say hello to "Rita"!

There are a few things I'd like to start off with, first being seat belts so I can take the wife and kids out on a cruise. Later on, will consider a 12v Alternator conversion and an overdrive transmission. But for now, seat belts, then drive the heck out of her and enjoy every minute.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_123656_cropped.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	1760362 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_123706_cropped.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1760363 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_123714_cropped.jpg
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1760364 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_123726_cropped.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1760365 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_123738.jpg
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1760366
    Joshua - "AutoRestoNewb"
    1962 Lark Cruiser
    YouTube Channel

Good find - have a soft spot for '62 Larks - my college graduation money was spent buying and getting a '62 four door and putting it back on the road in 1993 - good times. Great running and cruising car - would make 19 mpg around town and 26 on a highway trip.

Those Larks already have anchors for seat belts both front and rear. Studebaker put a rubber plug in the holes if belts were not ordered so chances are they are ready to go. Unless you are going to run a lot of electrical items, those generators will do everything they need to without going to an alternator. If you still want to switch, find someone who has a '63 or later Lark and switch out all the components. If it is a straight three speed, an OD tranny will make a huge difference and a real cruiser.

Good luck and keep us posted. Remember you can get a "birth certificate" (factory production order) of the car from the Studebaker National Museum to find out what it left the factory with.

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for the response. I figured the generator would do well for most things, so definitely something I may consider changing out later down the road if needed. As for the seat belts, I think I know where the front bench ones are, but I couldn't figure out where in the back the anchor points are.

Luckily, the previous owner did get the birth certificate so I have a copy.
      Joshua - "AutoRestoNewb"
      1962 Lark Cruiser
      YouTube Channel

Comment

The back ones are under the rear seat cushion. Studebaker put in rubber covers, pull those out and the threads/ nuts are already there to bolt into. Look on the bay and you can generally find Studebaker seat belts, one or two at a time.

Have fun!

Mark

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for the info. Already got the belts, and with you're help, now I know where to look!
          Joshua - "AutoRestoNewb"
          1962 Lark Cruiser
          YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by AutoRestoNewb View Post
            I recently got the go ahead from the wife to get a new project car (as I'd been without for a few years having sold everything off while moving). I had been eyeing this Lark Cruiser for a few weeks on Craigslist and kept thinking to myself "That's the one!"

When the owner dropped it to $1800, I had to move on it. Hard to find a decent running, decent shape project for that price in California. So, after putting some money down with the owner, I waited two weeks, then picked her up yesterday. Because the wife was gracious enough to let me get her, I let her name the Lark.

Say hello to "Rita"!

There are a few things I'd like to start off with, first being seat belts so I can take the wife and kids out on a cruise. Later on, will consider a 12v Alternator conversion and an overdrive transmission. But for now, seat belts, then drive the heck out of her and enjoy every minute.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80195[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]80196[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]80197[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]80198[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]80199[/ATTACH]
            That car is HOT!
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry,

You and I both think so, lol. Thanks!
              Joshua - "AutoRestoNewb"
              1962 Lark Cruiser
              YouTube Channel

Comment

Studebaker West swap meet May 4th 8am - 2pm

Comment

Just a little update. Not much time during the week to drive, let alone work on the Cruiser. However, I took care of a few minor things just so I can still feel engaged with "Rita". Insalled the missing knobs for all the controls with the exception of the cigarette lighter (for which I still need a replacement knob). Put the Lark Horn Button on as well. Then I pulled the broken turn signal knob and replaced with a new one. Finally, I cleaned up my hood ornament, removing black primer with acetone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190416_145904_587.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1727685Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190416_145904_588.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1727686Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190416_143623.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1727687Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190417_192822.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1727691

Need to replace the shifter knob. How does one remove that?
                  Joshua - "AutoRestoNewb"
                  1962 Lark Cruiser
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

Congrats on your purchase! For a seatbelt installation tutorial with pics, take a look at https://studeblogger.blogspot.com/20...r-at-last.html

Regarding the shifter knob: you will likely have to cut the old one off (if it is still in one piece). Upon getting your new part from one of our Studevendors, the idea is to warm it gently to about 100 degrees in warm water (not boil it, as it's plastic!) and then slip it over the shift lever knurl. This can be tricky and it will likely need to be tapped home with a rubber mallet (gently!).

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Clark,

Thanks for the link! Helps a lot! Thankfully, I have a new shifter knob. The old one IS still in one piece. Can you elaborate on "cutting off"? Like literally cutting off?
                      Joshua - "AutoRestoNewb"
                      1962 Lark Cruiser
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by AutoRestoNewb View Post
                        Can you elaborate on "cutting off"? Like literally cutting off?
                        Well, yeah. I assume your old one is cracked or broken or something, yes? There's no way to pull them off, so the best way is to use a Dremel with a cutoff disc to make a cut lateral to the shifter arm on opposite sides of the knob. You don't have to go all the way to the metal; just deep enough that you can grab what's left of the plastic with a Channel Lock and snap it off.

Maybe some other members have easier methods, but that's worked for me

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Well, that seems simple enough. Thanks for the clarification!
                          Joshua - "AutoRestoNewb"
                          1962 Lark Cruiser
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                          X