X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last of Doolittle's Raiders passes away

RIP, Lt. Col. Cole:

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Sorry to hear that. Another who put everything on the line for his country is gone. RIP Dick Cole.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

There are a couple of goofs in this article. There was only one take off from a carrier (USS Hornet CV-8), not a previous one.

The B-25's flew from Eglin Army Air Corps Base in FL to Alameda CA, where they were hoisted aboard the USS Hornet.

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo starring Spencer Tracy was filmed by MGM in 1944 and released in 1944.

btw: In 1948, my parents were having a new house built, so for several months we lived in a rented house in Santa Monica.

One morning my dad went out to get the newspaper, noticed the neighbor across the street doing the same. My dad starred at him, then saluted.

When my dad came inside, he said to my mom...guess who lives across the street? General Jimmy Doolittle!
      Last edited by WinM1895; 04-09-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

There was a previous takeoff of a B25 from the Hornet...just not by any of the pilots from the Doolittle raid. It was done off Norfolk by a completely different pilot and aircraft to test whether it could be done...a proof of concept test before committing to the entire training program for the raid. No one on the ship nor the pilot had any clue of the reason behind it...just a test and nothing more to them.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

He was from right here in Dayton, Ohio. It will be sad to see his silver goblet, the final one, be turned upside down in their display at the Air Force Museum as he joins the others.

Godspeed sir...

Comment

One of my co-workers just handed me the May 2019 issue of AIR Magazine with a cover story on the 77th anniversary of the Doolittle raid featured. Great story and some excellent photos. There are photos of the crew of each plane. Lt. Richard E. Cole is in one of them with the Doolittle plane crew and is the same photo I saw on the news story of his passing. My dad flew Mitchell Bombers during the war while stationed at Ford Island in Pearl Harbor so this is a really nice keepsake. Dad died in November. He would have enjoyed reading this.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

RIP, Lt. Col. Cole:
              Bob, thanks for posting this "end of an era" sadness.
              I was privileged to have flown in a B-25 3 years ago. It was an experience I will never forget. That airplane simply exuded confidence that it could do damn near anything and still survive. Lt. Cole was one of the last of the Greatest Generation ever. We all owe so much and should never forget.
              Bill

Comment

Working...
              X