Thread: Large 1958 showroom poster with Golden Hawk

President Member

Large 1958 showroom poster with Golden Hawk

1958 very large showroom poster. This is a full 5 foot long by nearly 3 foot wide. Good to see that Golden Hawk but would have been nice to have included the hardtop (Starlight).
    IMG_0866 copy.jpg
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Yes, a Starlight would have been SO much better than clobbering it up with that Plane Jane Scotsman!

Is this one listed on eBay?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Yes, a Starlight would have been SO much better than clobbering it up with that Plane Jane Scotsman!

Is this one listed on eBay?
    No, have not decided to part with it yet.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

President Member
    Maybe the Scotsman being featured on the banner helped it in the sales race. Wasn't the Scotsman line the biggest seller of the '58 models?

Interesting that there is a completely unnecessary (and incorrect) apostrophe in "Studebaker's". You would think the marketers would know better.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeNewby View Post
    Interesting that there is a completely unnecessary (and incorrect) apostrophe in "Studebaker's". You would think the marketers would know better.
    I believe that used to be a correct way to pluralize a proper name. Our language does evolve.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I believe that used to be a correct way to pluralize a proper name. Our language does evolve.
    I am not aware of the apostrophe ever having been used to designate plurality except for the non-standard usage after a single letter, such as "p's and q's", etc. However, Gary, you are correct in saying that language does evolve, and constantly.
    Last edited by StudeNewby; 04-15-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo...which the proofreader in 1958 should have done, too.
    Mike Davis

President Member
    Maybe the apostrophe is regarding the line above "Studebaker's", inferring that the "New Beauty, Utility and Performance" belong to Studebaker?

Quote Originally Posted by qsanford View Post
    Maybe the apostrophe is regarding the line above "Studebaker's", inferring that the "New Beauty, Utility and Performance" belong to Studebaker?
    Quentin, that is a good thought. I bet you're right. Thank you. Yes, that bothered this old writing instructor!
    Mike Davis

I'll buy the apostrophe thing, but what I don't buy is the picture of a Luxury Crafted, Performance Tested President long wheelbase Sedan being characteristic of '58 Champion, Commander and President Series SEDANS as they indicate!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-14-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    The statement "Studebaker's for '58" appears to mean plural Studebakers, so should read "Studebakers for '58". In 1962 Studebaker's sign painter made the same mistake on the first truckload of Avantis, with a banner that stated "Avanti's Away". Some photos of that truck have the apostrophe airbrushed out. Adding an apostrophe to a plural noun is a common mistake. The apostrophe is used only for the possessive form (e.g., Studebaker's style) or for a contraction (e.g., '58 Studebaker). (P.s., I realize that the periods above technically go inside the closing quotes, but I wanted to include in the quotes literally what is on the poster or banner.)
    -Dwight (no English degree, just an interest in grammar, although I make mistakes too)

Dwight, I am in full agreement, though I am willing to concede the benefit of the doubt as I stated above. And just for the record, the way you placed the period outside the quotation marks is perfectly acceptable under your stated circumstance.
    Boy, we have beaten THAT horse to death.
    Mike Davis