Thread: today's nightmare...

President Member
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Blog Entries
    "One of a kind" indeed - thankfully. Proof once again that just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

00g0g_jkcypbLQ91E_1200x900.jpg
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

YE GODS. Kill it with fire.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

MFG!......

I had a discussion with a friend about something like this when a modern SUV with 36+ inch rims and low-profile tires rolled by. You can explain it in 4 words: "The Look is Key."

My friend contended it was stupid and started explaining each of the reasons when I stopped him.

"The guy driving that doesn't care what you think," I said. "Nothing about you matters to him in the least. The only thing he cares about is the girls that want to get in that with him and there ARE girls that want to get in that with him."

Now one can argue in the case of this "Oldsmobile" that I really don't want anything to do with the girls that want to get in that thing...

I would have liked to watch and listen to the folks that built this deciding what to do next...looks like an enormous amount of work. Very different.

President Member
    Be the first on your block !

And the last....
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

President Member
    About $19,000 too much.

Somehow I can't even imagine a three year old with a magnetic "build your own car kit" could come up with this. Sometimes a vehicle is purposely built this way (the "Wagon Queen Family Truckster" comes to mind) for a film. Maybe that is the case here.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    That is one fugly car. Why oh why?

President Member
    His car, his money.

President Member
    Several times, after working all day on a car, a few buddies can get together and a few six packs later come up with ideas for the car, that is after all the world problems are solved.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Yes sir, one of the trademarks of the good old Studebaker forum – running down other peoples work. You all should be very proud of shooting down a fellow hobbyist. Thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Yes sir, one of the trademarks of the good old Studebaker forum – running down other peoples work.
    One can definitely not call it an 'improvement' over the original design. As with most others who have posted, I don't care it, either.

If you feel you have some sympathy for the seller or the car, YOU buy it and park it in front of your 'new' shop and see what kind of attention you get.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    One can definitely not call it an 'improvement' over the original design. As with most others who have posted, I don't care it, either.

If you feel you have some sympathy for the seller or the car, YOU buy it and park it in front of your 'new' shop and see what kind of attention you get.

Craig
    Thank you for perfectly making my point; and representing why people drift away from the forum, and new people are turned off and don’t join. I’m sure you’re proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Thank you for perfectly representing why people drift away from the forum. I’m sure you’re proud.
    Good riddance!

Craig

Thank you for perfectly making my point; and representing why people drift away from the forum, and new people are turned off and don’t join. I’m sure you’re proud.
    Got any proof for your questionable assertion?

President Member
    As I stated in post #9: "Sometimes a vehicle is purposely built this way (the "Wagon Queen Family Truckster" comes to mind) for a film. Maybe that is the case here."

If that is the case then negative comments would actually be complimentary to the effort.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Silver Hawk Member
    People are different. Some are shy, humble, and private and prefer to stay in the background. Others devote at lot of effort to being the center of attention. Those that fall into the latter category bring attention to themselves through such things as hairstyles, clothing, tattoos, behavior -- or even the car they drive. Some might display their wealth by driving a Ferrari or Rolls Royce, while others might build a low-rider that they can use to bounce down the street. And of course, some use their fabrication skills to build a vehicle that will attract attention, even though most of it will be negative. This, after all, is what they wanted in the first place. There is a reason that the word "outrageous" is in the English vocabulary.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    People are different. Some are shy, humble, and private and prefer to stay in the background. Others devote at lot of effort to being the center of attention.
    I'd like to repeat what I said before:

Your car, your money.

Would I do what this person chose to do? No. It doesn't appeal to me. Does that make him somehow wrong-headed? No, not in my book.

There are the folks who think the best car is one restored to slavishly exact factory original, down to the last cotter pin is the most desirable. Others like original appearances which have mechanical upgrades for better performance while appearing original. And others prefer better paint and upholstery using more modern materials.

There's a place for all of them. This owner likes his car the way he has done it. It is HIS car, HIS effort, HiS money.

If you don't like it, walk away.

I will do my cars the way I want them. Some people will like them, and some will not.
    n.

President Member
    Why people drift away from the forum might also have to so with snide and barbed and sarcastic comments pointed at fellow posters. It can also get you banned from the forum as well.

As stated previously his car his money. Having a one of a kind car is fine, but now he wants to sell it. Best of luck to him.

Bob Miles

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6hk71400 View Post

... As stated previously his car his money. ...

Bob Miles
    And it might not even be that. He may have inherited it from what the family referred to as "The Crazy Uncle." And he might dislike it as much as is consistent with any comment here. It is only assumptive that the seller and builder are one and the same.

Frankly if that car had rolled across the block at Barrett Jackson I'm thinking the rather reserved commentators would struggle to find something kind to say about it. In fact I've heard them say many similar things said here. And yet year after year they still have a job with the multi-million dollar company with world wide exposure. Imagine that. People forming an opinion and expressing it. How do they ever get away with it?

Quote Originally Posted by wittsend View Post
    People forming an opinion and expressing it. How do they ever get away with it?
    All one has to do is look over contemporary automotive magazine articles (and non-automotive publications, such as a section usually seen in Friday's daily newspaper on cars.) from 2001. I don't remember any that had one good word to say about the styling and the fit & finish when they reviewed the Pontiac Aztek. Collectively, they did get away with it because it was true.

Craig

A few timesI have bought modern cars for the silly thought that they would be less trouble (grown up & away from that now) & once I bougt a small one that didn't want any fuel but it was so boooring that I went & bought spraycans: yellow, orange & red... Then I sprayed flames on it! It was quite a hit driving by kindergardens.
    & as I also think these Oldsmobiles are boring I guess the guy who customized it agrees with me. But yeah: I would NOT drive this one!
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 04-07-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Commander Member
    Well, some very good responses to this topic. All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not as creative and resourceful as the individual who designed & built that "one of a kind" car.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    The part I like most about that car is the engine compartment. I really like those 350 Rocket engines.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not as creative and resourceful as the individual who designed & built that "one of a kind" car.
    I'm glad you stayed off the cheap drugs!

Craig

President Member
    It's no more garish and ugly than stuff George Barris built, and he was a God of Kustoms.

Maybe some day this will roll across the line at Barret-Jackson for a quarter million. Maybe not.

https://www.google.com/search?q=geor...YQPv4KjOq5bNM:
    Last edited by jnormanh; 04-16-2019 at 10:45 AM.