1962 Hawk Rear Main Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Hawk Rear Main Seal

I have a "nice" leak on my 289 rear main seal and need to replace the seal. I know what to do but was wondering from someones past experience how difficult was it. I have a new neoprene seal to put in but have been dreading the undertaking and was looking for past experience of others. Thanks, Chet445

First, be absolutely sure it’s the main seal, and not a leak from somewhere else, like the oil pressure flex line, that is then leaking down and making it look like a rear main seal leak.

Comment

Once you have removed the rear main bearing cap just gently tap a small screw driver behind the upper seal on each side to partially dislodge that seal, then angle the screw driver behind and gently prise the seal out. Good luck.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Carefully CHECK that Rear Oil pan Arch Gasket, because a leak there will mimic a Rear Main Seal leak.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I can only reinforce the statements on whether it is the rear seal as in my experience, leaks in the rear have always been something else. If you remove the rear main bearing cap and it dry after the seal, the seal is fine.

Comment

Definitely check for another source. Had one last year and it turned out it was form nearly new flex line to oil pressure gage. Drain the oil. Let it sit so all the oil drips off engine into the pan rather than your ear or your hair. Remove pan. Loosen all main cap bolts just a bit and remove the rear cap. Carefully! try to turn the upper half of the seal out from under crank. Once started it should come out with patience and needle nose Vice Grip. oil up new one and slide it in. Be sure none of the mains have turned out of place and retorque them . Replace seal on rear cap and bolt it in place. The pan gasket is a pain. You will need 4 studs that hold the pan in place so you can star pan bolts. You'll wand to go around about 3 or 4 times to tightened the pan bolts and compress the cork gaskets. Take a few days to do the job; its less stressful! Good luck

Comment

In about 3 weeks I will tackle the job and let you know. The oil pressure line to the gauge has been checked and there is no leak there. Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

I lost the rear main seal on a '51 Commander a few years ago, it leaked A LOT; like 2 quarts in 150 miles! (What a mess) The seal was original to the engine, as far as I knew, and was all glazed and cracked. A rarity I know, as those pesky arch gaskets haunt me too.

Comment

After reading comments on this forum I decieded it would be easier to remove the engine to attempt this than to do it in the car. After having done so, I can't imagine doing it in the car with gravity working against me. The seal was easy, the pan gasket was NOT, even with the engine out and upside down. If I had to do it again, (the pan gasket) I'd remove the engine again. By the way, my rear leak turned out to be the rear of the pan gasket, the seal was clean and dry like it should be. With the engine out it also gave me the opportunity to clean up the engine bay.

Comment

...also was a good time to pop out the expansion plugs and clean out the block....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                      ...also was a good time to pop out the expansion plugs and clean out the block....
                      YES, good point. I removed them cleaned about a quart of junk out of the water jackets and replaced them with new brass plugs. Small block Ford, same 1 1/2" plugs as late Stude V8. Easy to find locally and super cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                        YES, good point. I removed them cleaned about a quart of junk out of the water jackets and replaced them with new brass plugs. Small block Ford, same 1 1/2" plugs as late Stude V8. Easy to find locally and super cheap.
                        ....it never ends ( but we love our Studies )!
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                        X