Thread: March 17th 1966 - The Last Studebaker

President Member

March 17th 1966 - The Last Studebaker

Again, it's anniversary time....53 years since the last Studebaker rolled off the line in Hamilton Ontario.

Sad anniversaries always bring back many memories and this certainly is one of those. Studebaker will never be forgotten.

Stu Chapman

I'm always sad to hear how it happened. I wonder, too, how it would have unfolded if current laws and practices were in place back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Chapman View Post
    Again, it's anniversary time....53 years since the last Studebaker rolled off the line in Hamilton Ontario.

Sad anniversaries always bring back many memories and this certainly is one of those. Studebaker will never be forgotten.

Stu Chapman
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Golden Hawk Member

Stu Chapman
    Stu - As you know, there are fewer and fewer of us that purchased them when they were still being built. "Studebaker will never be forgotten", but the people that remember Studebaker is a decreasing number.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

The only good thing I know & remember about it is that almost nobody in Sweden knew about it.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Smile

Well Stu, my (partly restored) '66 Commander is enjoying the first couple of days of Spring. A couple of pictures for you to remember the '66 models.

IMG_1049.jpgIMG_1056.jpg
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Regional Manager
    British Columbia

http://studebaker.ca/ - BC Coastal Chapter
    www.bcsouthintsdc.ca - BC Southern Interior Chapter
    https://www.facebook.com/VI.STUDEBAKER/ - Vancouver Island Chapter

President Member
    A 66 has always been on my list. I did own a 65 Cruiser and it was my Arizona daily driver for years. Should have kept it but someone begged me to sell it which I did for a bargain price. He did not keep it for 6 months.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Speedster Member
    Two of my favorite Studebakers were both white with black vinyl roofs and they were both final years. '64 GT and '66 Daytona.
    my old cars 021.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Stu - As you know, there are fewer and fewer of us that purchased them when they were still being built. "Studebaker will never be forgotten", but the people that remember Studebaker is a decreasing number.
    Given the earliest age for obtaining a driver's licence is 16 years of age, one would now be 69 years old to have been able to walk into a Studebaker dealership in 1966 and order one brand new. Admittedly, I don't know of too many 16 year olds who have walked into any dealer selling any make and buying a brand new car, though I have seen some 18 year olds receive brand new cars as school graduation presents, believe it or not.

Craig

Had a ball driving my '66 Wagonaire for several years before selling it to another SDC member in Owensboro, Kentucky (you figure out who it is). Old ladies would wave while I drove by, and at the store or gas station they would come over to tell me how cute it was. Kids liked to climb the tailgate ladder and wave at Mom and Dad from the open roof. At the car shows, guys would marvel at the McKinnon motor and the front disc brakes.

Weirdest comment: One guy thought I had done a good job customizing my Chevy II wagon.....
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Given the earliest age for obtaining a driver's licence is 16 years of age, one would now be 69 years old to have been able to walk into a Studebaker dealership in 1966 and order one brand new. Admittedly, I don't know of too many 16 year olds who have walked into any dealer selling any make and buying a brand new car, though I have seen some 18 year olds receive brand new cars as school graduation presents, believe it or not.

Craig
    I said purchase a Studebaker when they were still being built. I did not say purchase a new Studebaker when they were still being built. I purchased several Studebakers when they were still being built. They were all two or more years old. When I was a young adult, a neighbor friend did get a brand new 1960 Lark VIII convertible just before he turned sixteen and got his driver's license.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I said purchase a Studebaker when they were still being built. I did not say purchase a new Studebaker when they were still being built. I purchased several Studebakers when they were still being built. They were all two or more years old. When I was a young adult, a neighbor friend did get a brand new 1960 Lark VIII convertible just before he turned sixteen and got his driver's license.
    Wouldn't that amount to almost the same answer, whether one bought a Studebaker new or used? To drive it legally one would have to be 16 years of age, which would still make the youngest legal owner/driver 69 years old in 2019. (I know here, one can get a learner's permit at 14, but someone 18 years old or over with a valid drivers licence would have to be your passenger, but you would still have to be 16 years of age minimum to register and insure it in your name.)

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 03-18-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Craig
    No, but I can remember as a 15 year old drooling over a new Avanti on the local lot.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Golden Hawk Member
    Wouldn't that amount to almost the same answer, whether one bought a Studebaker new or used? To drive it legally one would have to be 16 years of age, which would still make the youngest legal owner/driver 69 years old in 2019. (I know here, one can get a learner's permit at 14, but someone 18 years old or over with a valid drivers licence would have to be your passenger, but you would still have to be 16 years of age minimum to register and insure it in your name.)

Craig
    Yes, I agree with this.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

You too?.....but I was 17!
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoberts View Post
    No, but I can remember as a 15 year old drooling over a new Avanti on the local lot.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

President Member
    I was always impressed with how Studebaker up-dated the 66' model year and on a shoe string budget. They had a very creative styling department and always left me wondering what they would have come up with next. It truly is a great looking car.

I always thought the front pretty dull to compared:
    1966 Studebaker.jpg
    1968ChevyC10.jpg

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

I liked the '64 grille best from the last bunch of Studebakers.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Here is My '66 Cruiser, my Son Dave's '65 Cruiser and unrelated, is his 1950 R16A Superior Body School Bus:

IMG_1636.jpg
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

I didn't know there were age requirements to purchase a Studebaker, so I just went out and bought my first one in very early 1966 from Newmain/Altman in South Bend when I was 18, a senior in highschool. It was a 62 Daytona 2Dr Hardtop, 289 4 barrel, automatic that had been driven by the wife of one of the Studebaker executives. Story I was given was as Studebaker closed departments the executives were given an option to buy the company cars or return them.
    I now drive the 66 Daytona that is one of the 12 missing 65's that were reconfigured into 1966 models. Still looking for more documentation, but what I have so far makes it the first V8 Daytona built for 1966 and it was used by Studebaker as a show car prior to the shutdown in March 1966.
    Stu, I know you didn't build or design the cars, but the 66's, to me. are the best driving and crispest looking of the later Lark types. For the part you played with advertising, thank you.
    For the part you still play, the history and stories, a double thank you.
    Anyone that hasn't read Stu's book, "My Father The Car" should as he tells the story of those final days and what lead up to them.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
    I was always impressed with how Studebaker up-dated the 66' model year and on a shoe string budget. They had a very creative styling department and always left me wondering what they would have come up with next. It truly is a great looking car.
    Surprisingly, two of the design features came from our own management team in Hamilton. These were the 4 piece grill and the Refreshaire ventilation system. All the color names came from my advertising team.

Stu Chapman

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderations View Post
    I didn't know there were age requirements to purchase a Studebaker, so I just went out and bought my first one in very early 1966 from Newmain/Altman in South Bend when I was 18, a senior in highschool. It was a 62 Daytona 2Dr Hardtop, 289 4 barrel, automatic that had been driven by the wife of one of the Studebaker executives. Story I was given was as Studebaker closed departments the executives were given an option to buy the company cars or return them.
    I now drive the 66 Daytona that is one of the 12 missing 65's that were reconfigured into 1966 models. Still looking for more documentation, but what I have so far makes it the first V8 Daytona built for 1966 and it was used by Studebaker as a show car prior to the shutdown in March 1966.
    Stu, I know you didn't build or design the cars, but the 66's, to me. are the best driving and crispest looking of the later Lark types. For the part you played with advertising, thank you.
    For the part you still play, the history and stories, a double thank you.
    Anyone that hasn't read Stu's book, "My Father The Car" should as he tells the story of those final days and what lead up to them.

Thank you for the plug Ken. My book is in its second printing and available from the Studebakaer National Museum.

Stu Chapman

Surprisingly, two of the design features came from our own management team in Hamilton. These were the 4 piece grill and the Refreshaire ventilation system. All the color names came from my advertising team.

Stu Chapman
    I read somewhere about some Studebaker executive who was enamored with the trendy plum color he'd seen on some other brand and somehow got Studebaker to pick it up. I can't remember any details. How was he connected with your group, Stu?
    I can't say I've seen a really good picture of any 1966 with that color. I've seen a few with heavily aged plum paint.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Speedster Member

Craig
    My parents bought me my first car at 16 years old , October of 1963. It happened to be a new Avanti R5051 . Others in my neighborhood also had been given new cars by their parents. I still have my Avanti, but I do remember the disappointment of the South Bend closing announcement. My $5,000 car plunged suddenly in value when springtime of 1964 arrived.

Bob Caser
    mrbobinc

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I read somewhere about some Studebaker executive who was enamored with the trendy plum color he'd seen on some other brand and somehow got Studebaker to pick it up. I can't remember any details. How was he connected with your group, Stu?
    I can't say I've seen a really good picture of any 1966 with that color. I've seen a few with heavily aged plum paint.
    That was Bob Marcks, who worked at Marcks, Hazelquist & Powers in 1965/6, who mentioned it at the seminar at the International Meet in Glendale in 2010. He stated he saw a 1966 Buick Riviera painted GM's 'Plum Mist' color parked on the street one day, and told management Studebaker just HAD to offer that color, and he got his wish. A 1967 proposal he did in Plum here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ks-At-Glendale

Craig

Speedster Member
    As Studebaker management worked out the details for the “last cat” to be retained for the corporate collection, the Plum color was first specified, but instead changed to Timberline Turquoise. I have the original notes and production orders.

President Member
    That was Bob Marcks, who worked at Marcks, Hazelquist & Powers in 1965/6, who mentioned it at the seminar at the International Meet in Glendale in 2010. He stated he saw a 1966 Buick Riviera painted GM's 'Plum Mist' color parked on the street one day, and told management Studebaker just HAD to offer that color, and he got his wish. A 1967 proposal he did in Plum here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ks-At-Glendale

Craig
    As Craig said, Bob Marcks suggested this color to Gordon Grundy, who in turn worked out a quick introduction of the color with Manfacturing VP Bill Moeser. I believe that a member and former deale in Thunder Bay ON has a restored plum 66 Cruiser.

Stu Chapman

President Member
    64V, would you be willing to make copies of those notes available? I'd like to include them into the 1966 registry, which I'm getting ready to post up an update.
    thanks,
    Mike Sal

Speedster Member

There were a few cars painted P6490 Plum at the tail end of production: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Discrepencies

Craig

It's too bad the notes do not include a Serial Number, but maybe it can be traced from Order number 50945.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    but maybe it can be traced from Order number 50945.
    See Post #9 in the link one post above yours.

Craig

Speedster Member
    The paperwork I have contains the handwritten production orders. Interesting to note is that South Bend began planning for this car on March 8, 1966