Thread: Mechanical advance on 50 Champion

Champion Member

Mechanical advance on 50 Champion

I have a stock 50 Champion Starlight with an IAT distributor. I discovered the vacuum advance was shot so I removed the distributor to take a look at the general condition of everything. The weights look ok, clean and stable. The thing I'm not sure of is whether or not the weights should be hanging out at mid-travel. the springs are completely relaxed and the weights are halfway in the guidance slot. I don't know if this is normal or not. Any advice is welcome. Also looking for a vacuum advance. Does anyone have a suggestion?2019-03-16 23.02.29.jpg

President Member
    The slots in the cam are showing significant wear and the pins should be resting against the inner stops. It appears from the picture that your distributor has some worn parts and is in need of a rebuild. Bud

President Member
    I have a (one only) NOS Studebaker Autolite IAT-4201 which is technically correct for 1951 to 1954 Champions and 1950 to 1953 2R/3R trucks, but will also fit your 1950.

It's complete with points, condensor, cap and vacuum advance. Studebaker part number 530224. There is a minor surface rust on the drive shaft from sitting on the shelf, but will clean up just fine.

Price is $150 plus shipping. Send PM if interested.

Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)