Thread: Question on headlight switch 58 Hawk

Speedster Member

Question on headlight switch 58 Hawk

I did not note the position of the wires on the head light switch (they weren't in very good shape) when I took the dash apart to clean/paint/etc.

First question--Is it safe to assume that when you flip the toggle switch "up" that is for the head lights and "down" is for park lights?

Second question-- can someone educate me on which wire goes where? I can figure out where the power comes in, just not sure which terminal is for park/head/instrument as well as the "odd" round plug. I guess if "push" comes to "shove" I'll just ohm it out and hook the wires up but I'd guess there is more than one person that can insure that I don't reinvent the wheel

Thanks

MarvIMG_2168.jpg

The Insulator is stamped with abbreviations to indicate which wire goes where, after this many years they may be a bit hard to read but usually they can be. There is something to indicate: H, T, P and I.

The Wire with the Bullet Male terminal should go to the Round Female Sw. Terminal, I believe it goes in the Column to the Trans. Dial Light. If not, it is the jumper to the Instr. Lt. Sw.

The Terminal(s) that is ON in Both Hd. and Pk. position is for Inst. and Tail Lights there is usually a Dual 2 to One connector on the wires or the Old Switch to do that.

The Instrument Lights Wire goes to the Instrument Light Switch.

Yes, UP is Hd. Lts.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-17-2019 at 02:10 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Speedster Member
    Thanks Stude Rich, the new switch had no markings so I looked at an old one and found a T (tail light I hope) near one lug, I think I got it figured out.

I may be Studebaker Rich but I'd almost call it Stude Poor You are poor by the time you buy all the metal to fix the rust.