Thread: General Registration for the 2019 Int'l Meet

Speedster Member

General Registration for the 2019 Int'l Meet

What am I missing??? It's almost April (5-1/2 mos. from the meet) and I can't find the general registration form. Have I missed it OR is someone REALLY behind the eight ball? stupak

President Member Colgate Studebaker's Avatar
    We were planning to attend but have changed our minds as the meet committee has dropped the ball and info has not been forthcoming. See you all next year in Chattanooga. Bill

President Member
    We have had our vending spot reserved for some time now. We are looking forward to attending. Seems to me it is getting harder to find chapters that have the members willing to put on a meet. I try to overlook and keep quiet about things I think could be done differently or that are lacking as the folks putting on the meet have enough on their plate and do not need me complaining. Without them there would not be a meet. I want to go and have fun like I have been doing for over 30 years

I’m not complaining, though I’m surprised that general registration isn’t open yet either. Planning to have the ‘51 Land Cruiser there.
    Last edited by mbstude; 03-16-2019 at 08:45 AM.

I suspect that every meet that has ever been done has had one or two members that were the driving force. They did a bunch of the organizing and pushing helpers to complete their jobs. If the driver gets distracted by life, things don't get done or are late. Most members, even in the host club, expect someone else to take care of the details.
    We have gotten used to things being quick on the internet. A few years back we waited for Turning Wheels and made the best of it. I figure if I complain too much someone will challenge me to do a better job.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Champion Member
    You’ll see the meet schedule in the April T/W issue. Please don’t blame the host chapter for a delay. Dave, JoAnne and Jim have worked hard to present a great meet. Hundreds of details and they need to be correct. Also, The SDC board won’t let this be published more than 5or 6 months out. The reason is to minimize refunds. Jane Stinson wrote over 125 refund checks for various activities to members a couple of years ago and that’s crazy. For the member that hasn’t asked for time off work, the meet dates aren’t going to change. September 11-14 no matter when the schedule is posted! All you early registrants will get the early bird discount so worry about something really important. Thanks Bruce Slifer for starting this thread again this year.
    Last edited by Tom Curtis; 03-18-2019 at 02:52 PM.

President Member
    As I was at the SDC Board Meeting in Tacoma, Ohio had been for many years hoping to host, but it was indicated the time for getting everyone on board was accomplished. What Howard in the last post indicated might be right. What we as a membership at large should do is volunteer our services and get involved. If many of the positions for swap meet, registration, setting up the board meeting, vendor assistance, banquet help, etc etc. If we as a membership group step up and step forward and ask what we can do and DO IT, things will come along.

At Tacoma, Denny Fouts was constantly at the time of the meet asking for volunteers for many of the function listed. I feel that most of us don't understand that we are a volunteer group of people bound together by a car we love.

So get your email fired up and ask what you can do to help. LETS DO THIS!

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Silver Hawk Member
    I have faith in the club members and have secured rooms for both Studebaker and Avanti meets and Ian Mackellar from Australia will be with me, since the meets are about a week apart we plan on seeing some of the area around there.....Bob
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

President Member
    Okay from the practice what I preach department, I just sent emails to Dave, Jet, Joanne, and Denny. I will let you know what I will be doing when I get a reply.

Bob Miles

My complaint was that I could not get information after seeking it in several different areas including more than 1 on this forum. The very least I expected was some type of reply regarding my questions. To this day I have not received any, not that it matters now that info has been published in T.W. I'm not wanting to ruffle any feathers as I know how much effort has to be put into any meet and I commend those that are "doing" vs. "complaining". Bill

Speedster Member
    Bill,

I'm sorry you feel that way, but we CANNOT force you to attend. Planning for a meet is a a big job, with many pieces to be put in place.

The Registration page should be on the www.sdcmeet.com webpage in a matter of a day or so, although all other information is already there.IN fact, if you want to mail in your registration, the form is on the page to permit you to do so. The sad fact is, even if the Registration form were "up" on the web page or in Turning Wheels (and, it is statistically proven), most people acknowledge the information is there, and wait until the last day or so before they lose the discount ($35 vs $45) to register.

We wish you a happy Spring and Summer season, and hope you will re-consider your decision. It's a great meet in a great location. Join us in Mansfield, Ohio September 11-14!

Denny Foust
    SDC International Meet Coordinator
    studeguy54@gmail.com

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemiltie View Post
    We have had our vending spot reserved for some time now. We are looking forward to attending. Seems to me it is getting harder to find chapters that have the members willing to put on a meet. I try to overlook and keep quiet about things I think could be done differently or that are lacking as the folks putting on the meet have enough on their plate and do not need me complaining. Without them there would not be a meet. I want to go and have fun like I have been doing for over 30 years

Milt,

You are right....there is a lot to be done for a meet, BUT, even with a lot on our plates, we are willing to listen to complaints, suggestions, and ALWAYS willing to have people volunteer to help. You are right....without people who are interested in helping to do a meet, there is not meet!

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    I’m not complaining, though I’m surprised that general registration isn’t open yet either. Planning to have the ‘51 Land Cruiser there.
    Check the website at www.sdcmeet.com and you will see a printable Registration form. Better yet, give us a day or so, and register online. It should be up this week. Help us all by registering for the meet early!

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
    My complaint was that I could not get information after seeking it in several different areas including more than 1 on this forum. The very least I expected was some type of reply regarding my questions. To this day I have not received any, not that it matters now that info has been published in T.W. I'm not wanting to ruffle any feathers as I know how much effort has to be put into any meet and I commend those that are "doing" vs. "complaining". Bill
    Bill,

You may contact me DIRECT, by email at studeguy54@gmail.com, and I WILL listen to your comments and complaints. As you will see, noted elsewhere in these posts, the sad fact is, too few people register until it is near the time for them to lose the discount. Check this week for the REGISTRATION form online. I believer it'll be there.

Denny Foust

President Member
    Once again, I don't understand how anyone can complain about a meet that is being planned in September. The date and the location have been identified for many months now. You could have made hotel reservations and asked for the days off a long time ago.

Anyone who decided not to attend because day to day details haven't been articulated in March weren't serious about attending all along.

Volunteer to help if you think your desired timelines aren't being met soon enough. With your help, tasks will be completed sooner.

People still don't know how nice the vast majority of us have it where we just show up and enjoy the event leaving all the logistics and day to day issues/headaches to a small group of volunteers.

Complaining will do nothing but dissuade those offering their time for free and lead them to become discouraged. Any of you remember the York swap meet (I know you do)? Do you miss it? Do you want the annual meets to end also? If not, help out and stop complaining about it.
    Last edited by studefan; 03-17-2019 at 12:24 PM.

OK, I know it isn't good to complain, and for the record I am a "doer". My past has included serious volunteerism to the SDC and the chapters I belong to. I also have several meets and functions coming up that I will donate large amounts of time to. Unfortunately, I had to make choices in the time frame that the Ohio meet is being held and I needed info from the meet committee. I could not get a response so we chose to do the other event that is on the same date. I totally support the efforts of all that work to put these events on and encourage everyone to consider helping out in any way you can. Please enjoy the meet and support SDC any way you can. Bill

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studefan View Post
    Once again, I don't understand how anyone can complain about a meet that is being planned in September. The date and the location have been identified for many months now. You could have made hotel reservations and asked for the days off a long time ago.

Anyone who decided not to attend because day to day details haven't been articulated in March weren't serious about attending all along.

Volunteer to help if you think your desired timelines aren't being met soon enough. With your help, tasks will be completed sooner.

People still don't know how nice the vast majority of us have it where we just show up and enjoy the event leaving all the logistics and day to day issues/headaches to a small group of volunteers.

Complaining will do nothing but dissuade those offering their time for free and lead them to become discouraged. Any of you remember the York swap meet (I know you do)? Do you miss it? Do you want the annual meets to end also? If not, help out and stop complaining about it.
    Studefan,

Thank you for your thoughts. Only a person or group that has worked on an International Meet can understand the time and effort it takes to make it all look so transparent and planned to the people who attend the meet. Indeed, there are NUMEROUS details to be worked out. Dave, JoAnne and Jim have worked tirelessly to put this meet in place, and, in their case, the work began years ago, when they scoped out the location of this year's meet.

As one (among many) who chaired the Studebaker York Swap Meet, and chaired the International Meet in Lancaster in 2008, I can attest to the amount of work and detail that needs to be attended to. Does the club want International Meets to end? I don't think so, but more of you need to "step-up" and offer your help. It IS a good 4 days of fun, and your help is always welcome.

I will always listen to your comments and complaints, and that is why you see my email address below. Write me.

Denny Foust
    studeguy54@gmail.com

President Member
    Denny thanks for your reply to the email(s) I sent. If it is ok with you I would like to print your response. As a result of you email, I am going to modify my travel plans and hope to be there Sunday or Monday ready to help.

As an aside, I know you are planning to pass the scepter next year for the International Meet. Has someone stepped up to take over?

Bob Miles

President Member
    SDC and it’s members owe a huge huge thanks to Denny Foust for his efforts. Most members are probably unaware of the countless hours and grey hairs he has spent making our meets successful. It is getting increasingly difficult to find cost effective locations for our meets and to find chapters with sufficient volunteers to host the meet. I still remember the days when chapters would complete at international meets to host future meets.

President Member
    AS most of you are aware of another post, the SDC Meet Registration is now online. I am referring to an earlier post about contacting all the four names listed and I have recieved a response from Dave, Denny and Joanne. Dave said everything is good so far. I am going to copy the responses I got in my email. All I had to do was ask the folks listed on the website.

From Denny Fouts:
    Your comments are timely. Without support, we cannot continue to do our meets as people have always expected. I think you have seen my posts in the Forum asking for people to help. I belong to Keystone Region Chapter, and we were fortunate to have the help we needed to do the International Meet back in 2008. Heart of Ohio Chapter is very lucky to have so many people involved, and, after attending one of their committee meetings, it is obvious, they have their act together. But that is not the future of the International Meet. To do this on a yearly basis requires the devotion to a “goal” that the 2019 International Meet Committee in Ohio has.There are so many things that go on “behind-the-scenes” for a meet:·While the meet starts on Wednesday, the committee is busy, bright and early Monday morning, putting the meet packets together. That CANNOT be done prior to Monday, and requires 12-16 people dedicated to accuracy. I’m typically there on a Sunday afternoon, to get established and meet with Mark and Jen Wheeler who have to place everything they need to do their job. Vendors being to arrive for their Swap Meet spaces which also have to be assigned ahead of time, too, or accommodated for those who have NOT pre-registered for a spot.·Monday, we’re placing directional signs, and the REGISTRATION location signs, as well as other signs for Swap Meet, Camping, Show Car Judging Car Show Field, Seminars, etc, etc.·This year, there will be an initial “RUSH” of Registration for those who want to pick-up the ticket they need for the Tribute to America gathering and Ice Cream Social Monday night, or have not registered for the meet and need to do so. ·Tuesday, help is needed at Registration Pick-Up. My wife, Cindy always seems to be at Registration Pick-Up during the meet and never enjoys the functions going on during the meet. Nida and Richard Ketchum, God Bless ‘em, always lend a hand at Registration Pick-up, but they, too, along with the other workers, need a periodic break.·Wednesday is Board Meeting, in the morning, but the Swap Meet has been open since Tuesday, and we all want a look in there…Tours begin, and a helping hand is always needed to be sure those who register are those who get on the bus! He tour of Pre-War cars and Post-64 Avanti’s to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course happens that afternoon, and keeping that organized requires help.Well, I guess you get the idea, and Wednesday is really only the first ADVERTISED day of the meet, but for Dave, JoAnne and their committee, there’s a lot of work to be done all week long. We’re in need of trained judges to do a good job at judging, people to man the gates and get cars on the field Saturday(registered cars only!)and a whole lot more.
    We can use the help at the meet, but I’m not going to get in the way of Dave and JoAnne, and, I’ll ask you to refer anyone who is interested in helping to them.

This is from Joanne:
    Thank you so much, Bob, for not only promoting the meet but for
    promoting the need for volunteers to make this event, and future SDC

International Meets, successes. We hope we have so many volunteer
    emails that we have to stay up nights to answer them all!!

We have created a list of needs and I could pass that along to you
    so potential volunteers would have a better idea of what that may be
    volunteering to do.
    Also, we are asking for "THREE HOURS" of volunteer time. That
    way they understand they won't be 'stuck' doing a task all day and
    can better plan what events they want to attend and what days and times
    they will be available to help. These lists will also be posted at the

registration site so they can see where a need has not been met.

Let me know if that would be helpful to you and your zone members.
    Just give me time to update it and to add additional jobs as it was
    created for just the immediate needs and not the whole picture.

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I am changing my plans to arrive Sunday evening so I can help with packets for registration. Also, Joanne is asking for THREE HOURS. We can all spare three hours over a period of time to help. If you have an interest to help set up vendors, volunteer and as a added benefit, you will get to see first hand what is available for sell. If you enjoy the tours, ask to help with setting the tours.

The fields are white for harvest but the workers are few so it is time to get involved. As someone once said to me years ago if you are busy with doing things, you won't have time to complain.

Bob Miles

President Member
    All you guys that are complaining, I'm calling the Draft Board and having your Draft Cards pulled, so get ready, you're going to WORK....

Yeah, that's Right! You're being Drafted!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Curtis View Post
    September 11-14 no matter when the schedule is posted!
    isn't that the same week as the PSMCDR in Stanton, MI? Studebakers at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Races is the highlight of the January issue of Turning Wheels.

Craig

It is also the weekend of the Tri-State Meet of the North Carolina Chapter that has been on that weekend for most of its 51 years.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Speedster Member
    Could someone please post a schematic of the fairgrounds, specifically the band shell, Fairhaven hall, the John Hartz building, the Admin building, the Wells building, and the youth building? Just so we can plan. Many thanks. stupak

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    isn't that the same week as the PSMCDR in Stanton, MI?
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoberts View Post
    It is also the weekend of the Tri-State Meet of the North Carolina Chapter that has been on that weekend for most of its 51 years.
    In 2001- these two events were one week apart.

. . Sweet Pea@TriState '01.jpg .... spectating PSMCDrags '01.JPG

Ask me how I know...
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

My wife and I mailed our registration in today and am looking forward to attending the meet!
    A big THANK YOU goes out to the entire meet committee for stepping up to host an International Meet.
    We can't find a Chapter in our Zone to step up to even hosting a Zone Meet this year.

Champion Member
    There is a very simple reason that the 2019 meet is scheduled when it is. The motels around Richland County Ohio are pretty much ruled by the Mid Ohio Sports car Course.
    Not that there is any conspiracy to stiff people with room rates, it's that when they hold a race - there are NO rooms in the county NONE. This weekend traditionally has been a non race weekend, and was supposed to be available when we started planning this four years ago. And it is not a race weekend this year.
    With that we were able to contract with motels and hotels to get decent rates.
    Are there conflicts? Sure. You cannot put on a meet of this size and not conflict with something somewhere. We did the best we could to provide the venue and the lodging to make this happen.
    We would have liked to have no conflicts, mostly because we want everyone in Mansfield, but it just isn't going to happen. If the meet were somewhere else this year at
    some other date there would be conflicts, that's just the way it is.
    Dave Hamblin
    Heart of Ohio Chapter SDC
    2019 local chairman

Champion Member
    Here is a link to the layout of the Richland County Fairgrounds; http://www.mansfieldtourism.com/uplo...RCfairgrds.jpg