Thread: Photos of original 1961 Lark 259" spin-on oil filter mounting and hoses?

Silver Hawk Member

Photos of original 1961 Lark 259" spin-on oil filter mounting and hoses?

We're into the short strokes of a custom 259" engine for a 1961 Lark. We prefer to do only long blocks and don't normally do complete engines, but this is a special project. We're supplying the core engine, so it's being built up from parts we had on hand. To insure it looks period correct, does anyone have photos of the spin on oil filter mounting and pipes/hoses?

Reason for asking is an internet search shows some oil filters on the left of the fill pipe and some on the right. It also shows some with rubber flex hoses and some with hard lines.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Golden Hawk Member
    I can't get to my literature just now. I have owned four 1961 Lark VIIIs, but my memory isn't sufficient for this. I suggest referring to Fred Fox's TW Feature Article on 1961 Larks.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Jack: Here are two photographs from the prestige 1961 full-line brochure.

The oil filter is on the right side of the oil filler pipe and the oil filter accessory kit clearly shows hard lines. (Click to enlarge; not that you need to.)

61hawkeng0003.jpg

61hawkoilfilter0004.jpg

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

The shop manual would be your best bet, but a couple of photos here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=1961

Craig

President Member
    Don't know if this helps...being one year older...
    My 99% original 1960 Lark (the one you saw with the now installed Corvette front suspension) had the filter on the right (passenger) side of the filler pipe.

When I drove this car home from Arizona, it still had the original brake shoes on it, only had verified, 32,000-ish miles on it.

Mike

Silver Hawk Member
    Thanks for the prompt replies.

It's interesting, as we were mocking it up, it seemed the logical position would be driver's side and flex lines. Studebaker felt they had to use a flex line between the engine and the oil pressure gauge, but they seemingly never trusted flex lines for the oil filter supply or drain.

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    1961 was the first year for the die cast aluminum oil fill standpipe. 1960 and earlier had the more bulky cast iron standpipe. All 1961 and partial flow 1962 V-8s had the oil filter on the left (Drivers side) of the standpipe. These used 1551993 flex hoses, about 8” long, for both the filter inlet and outlet lines. 1551993 hoses are available from Studebaker International.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    1961 was the first year for the die cast aluminum oil fill standpipe. 1960 and earlier had the more bulky cast iron standpipe. All 1961 and partial flow 1962 V-8s had the oil filter on the left (Drivers side) of the standpipe. These used 1551993 flex hoses, about 8” long, for both the filter inlet and outlet lines. 1551993 hoses are available from Studebaker International.
    Well, that explains much. Thanks for the clarification. I knew it seemed as if the filter should be on the driver's side. I'll order the hoses.

Next question. You say the same flex hose is used for pressure and drain, but the hard lines use large and small. What is the difference?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Heres a pic of the '61 lark wagon I bought from the original owner. The filter is clearly on the drivers side of the fill pipe and uses rubber hoses.
    DSCF5631.jpg

I will not get into which is correct, because it depends on the Car.

I do know though, that the Factory installations were not the same as the Dealer installed Accessory Kits.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Agreed, Jerry.

Here's what I am thinking on the 1961 Hawk in the brochure photograph. That was obviously an early, pilot-production car for photo and promo purposes.

Looking closely, it still has the older, cast-iron standpipe, not the "new for '61" aluminum one. They must've changed the oil filter mounting position, with the new standpipe, either immediately before "real" 1961 production commenced, or shortly thereafter.

Since the two pipes are interchangable, there would have been no need to make a notation to that effect in the parts books. Being as that brochure Hawk is a real photograph, not an artist's rendering, and it was sold to somebody, somewhere, we know there's at least one 1961 V-8 engine out there with the older setup.

I wonder how many others, if any, so escaped South Bend? BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-15-2019 at 05:23 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Silver Hawk Member
    I have always found the oil filter section of the 59-64 chassis book utterly confusing. The oil lines changed from year to year, and there were often differences between factory and dealer-installed units. If you really want to waste an hour, slog through all the oil filter pipe/hose listings to determine what is "correct" for a given car.

President Member
    I can agree with Rich on the different kits factory vs. dealer. I added a "kit" to my 59' wagon that had 2 rubber flex lines plumbing the oil filter. Reason I remember so well is one of the NOS lines blew out < 1 hour of driving........ make up new lines...!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (& I'm sure you will...) but wasn't oil filters considered an accessory up until the full flow blocks were introduced? As was the case with many accessories over the years, there always seemed to be some latitude/disparity by how things were installed on the assembly line and dealer. Then there's the chance that other accessory options affect how other's get installed. When I rebuilt the engine in my '60 Lark (over two decades ago), I had obtained all the necessary parts to install Air Conditioning. If I'm remembering correctly, I left off reinstalling the oil filter because the bracket, idler pulley, hoses, etc., made the oil filter too much trouble to deal with. So, I left it off thinking I would relocate it later. Never got around to it.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Speedster Member
    I did an engine for a 61 last fall. The filter was on the left side of the fill pipe. I used hard lines because the original hoses were shot. This car had A/C so no room on the right side.
    james r pepper

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong (& I'm sure you will...) but wasn't oil filters considered an accessory up until the full flow blocks were introduced? As was the case with many accessories over the years, there always seemed to be some latitude/disparity by how things were installed on the assembly line and dealer. Then there's the chance that other accessory options affect how other's get installed. When I rebuilt the engine in my '60 Lark (over two decades ago), I had obtained all the necessary parts to install Air Conditioning. If I'm remembering correctly, I left off reinstalling the oil filter because the bracket, idler pulley, hoses, etc., made the oil filter too much trouble to deal with. So, I left it off thinking I would relocate it later. Never got around to it.
    Yes and no on your question, John. Sometimes, an oil filter was standard equipment on a certain model, but not others.

For example, the early master specifications for the entire 1962 line indicate that the Fram PB-50 partial-flow filter was standard equipment on 1962 Gran Turismo Hawks, but optional on all other models.

On the other hand, the full-flow filter was generally standard equipment across the board as soon as both engines (six and V-8) were made full-flow. There is a blank-off plate for the full flow filter to delete same on certain truck applications, but I've never seen or heard of one on a passenger car. BP

Ayn Rand:

Silver Hawk Member
    All 1961 and partial flow 1962 V-8s had the oil filter on the left (Drivers side) of the standpipe. These used 1551993 flex hoses, about 8” long, for both the filter inlet and outlet lines. 1551993 hoses are available from Studebaker International.
    That brings another question. The hard line units use a smaller line and fitting (1/8"?) for pressure and a larger line and fitting (1/4"?) for drainback; correct? The flex lines are the same 1551993 part number, so that pre-supposes the same diameter and fittings. Are the threads on the flex hose NPT thread? Aren't the threads in the head and the standpipe 1/8" NPT? Do the hoses screw directly into those without adapter fittings?

jack vines
    PackardV8

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    That brings another question. The hard line units use a smaller line and fitting (1/8"?) for pressure and a larger line and fitting (1/4"?) for drainback; correct? The flex lines are the same 1551993 part number, so that pre-supposes the same diameter and fittings. Are the threads on the flex hose NPT thread? Aren't the threads in the head and the standpipe 1/8" NPT? Do the hoses screw directly into those without adapter fittings?

jack vines
    Fittings are required at both ends of each oil flex hose.