Thread: TKO 600 Install Help

Champion Member

TKO 600 Install Help

I have a 63 Hawk. I'm replacing the 3 speed stick with a New TKO 600. I took the stock trans out before I removed the engine for rebuild. Has anyone put the TKO and the engine in at the same time (Attached)? It looks like I can not get the bell housing cross member back in, once the trans and engine are dropped in. Any advice?

I don't know about a "TKO 600" but doubt the engine and trans can easily be installed with that bellhousing crossmember in place. I installed a 4L60 trans in my GT and had to remove that crossmember entirely in order to clear the trans. I added mounts to my trans adapter to replace those removed with the crossmember and made a new crossmember to replace the original that would clear the trans.
    20180514_182242.jpg
    For me it's FAR easier to pull the trans from the bottom and the engine from the top. I only install or remove them together as a unit when there is no bodywork to have to work around.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Raffin View Post
    I have a 63 Hawk. . Has anyone put the TKO and the engine in at the same time (Attached)? It looks like I can not get the bell housing cross member back in, once the trans and engine are dropped in. Any advice?
    The easiest way to do this would be to remove the "doghouse" ( front fenders and core support ) first. Gives a lot of room for tweaking..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member
    Nick, What bell housing are you using? I have found that in some cases after getting the engine and trans in I have to spread the frame to get that bell housing, trans mount cross member in.

President Member
    "64 Daytona and a 350/700R4 swap but I had little trouble putting trans in from the bottom. Sometimes it is helpful (even necessary) to put the bolts in the trans first. Just take a piece of cardboard (about 1" around, hole in center) and slide it over the bolt to keep it in place (like an electric outlet/switch has). Once you get the threads started just use needle nose pliers, tweezers etc. and rip the cardboard washers out - just don't forget this step.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Champion Member
    I bought a adapter kit from Fairborn Studebaker that uses the stock bell housing I had. I dial indicated the bell housing to within 5 thousands as the tremec instructions say. I then put in new dowel pins to hold the alignment.

Champion Member
    The trans has a rear mount. What do you think about using the rear mount instead of the bell housing mount? Most other cars are set up that way. Or will I have to retain the bell housing mount anyway?

President Member
    I would use both. It bothers me about the 150 lbs or so, swinging in the breeze on every bump.

I too would and did use both as well. With the front engine mounts at the very front of the engine, all of the 700lbs of engine and 100 lbs of transmission is on that joint where the trans meets the bellhousing. If you notice, "most other cars" have engine mounts on the side of the engine about midway between their front and rear. Their engine weight is carried on those side mounts and the rear trans mount only keeps it all from tipping. Every vehicle produced with front engine mounts also had a rear engine mount, they work together to carry the weight of the engine. In that configuration it's not uncommon for the trans to be cantilevered off the belhousing with no other mount. On both our C/K cars I've used the "wing" crossmember to mount the rear of the trans to. The '53 has a Chevy engine with side mounts so no rear engine mount, but the '62 has the Stude engine with front mounts so I added rear mounts to the trans adapter at the belhousing. If you're using the stock belhousing your rear mount should still be in place, on the bottom of the belhousing. I'd hate to see the mounting ears break off the trans or a bell housing break and have an engine/trans fall to the road when hitting the right whoopty on the freeway.

Champion Member
    Thanks for the advise. I'll have to Make a new Bell housing mount. I was planning on getting a rear trans mount off the shelf. I'll start looking around.

I'm not sure about your trans, but for the GM automatics we used a standard '58-'94 GM trans mount for the tailshaft to the wing. It's height is good, and if the tailshaft didn't reach far enough a small plate between the mount and tailshaft made it reach. The TH350 needed about a 4" long X 3/16"thick plate; we removed it and the mount fit directly when we changed to the 700R4, in the '53.