No announcement yet.

Engine service manual for 170 flathead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine service manual for 170 flathead?

Had some rare free time yesterday and took the head off the Pickle (it's a very, very green '60 Lark wagon) only to discover why she was parked. One valve head is completely broken off. I'm looking at a valve replacement and was hoping to get a recommendation on a good engine shop manual for these engines? I'd really appreciate it! -Marc.

If you purchase the Studebaker factory Shop Manual (publication 800426) from one of our fine vendors, or from an online auction, you should be pretty well set to tackle anything in the car from bumper to bumper. Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1725662

If all you want is engine information, a Chilton's of appropriate vintage will suffice; and then you can address mechanical systems from any American manufacturer.
    Last edited by rockne10; 03-09-2019, 05:59 AM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Brad! I'll get one ordered! -Marc.

Comment

The chassis parts catalog is a very good supplement to the shop manual. It shows all the parts, how they interconnect, and gives their "correct" names and part numbers. The vendors use these part numbers to make sure you get the correct parts.

Extremely helpful document and recommended highly. The same vendor will have one.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-13-2019, 08:16 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have a 49 Champion, Studebaker International has Manuals on CD, has parts and shop stuff plus more. Under $20 if memory is working. Has all the pages in original book.

Comment

Be aware that the discs are of marginal quality when seeing some part numbers...

Comment

Working...
            X