Thread: Engine service manual for 170 flathead?

Champion Member

Engine service manual for 170 flathead?

Had some rare free time yesterday and took the head off the Pickle (it's a very, very green '60 Lark wagon) only to discover why she was parked. One valve head is completely broken off. I'm looking at a valve replacement and was hoping to get a recommendation on a good engine shop manual for these engines? I'd really appreciate it! -Marc.

If you purchase the Studebaker factory Shop Manual (publication 800426) from one of our fine vendors, or from an online auction, you should be pretty well set to tackle anything in the car from bumper to bumper. 001.jpg

If all you want is engine information, a Chilton's of appropriate vintage will suffice; and then you can address mechanical systems from any American manufacturer.
    Last edited by rockne10; 03-09-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Champion Member
    Thanks Brad! I'll get one ordered! -Marc.

The chassis parts catalog is a very good supplement to the shop manual. It shows all the parts, how they interconnect, and gives their "correct" names and part numbers. The vendors use these part numbers to make sure you get the correct parts.

Extremely helpful document and recommended highly. The same vendor will have one.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-13-2019 at 11:16 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Speedster Member
    I have a 49 Champion, Studebaker International has Manuals on CD, has parts and shop stuff plus more. Under $20 if memory is working. Has all the pages in original book.

President Member
    Be aware that the discs are of marginal quality when seeing some part numbers...