Thread: Lavender_L57

Champion Member

Lavender_L57

204 to 304 V8 I'm after the best mileage! Has anyone spent time figuring out what the best combination of heads, cams, cranks and blocks for best mileage. Building a 57 Scotsman SW for Power Touring. The 185 six is fine for around town but lacks the power to pass or keep up at 75 or 80! Am I over thinking this?

Welcome to the forum. Your car as built should get great MPG. Does it have Overdrive? You could add that and see how it does.

A 259 V8 with overdrive can be tuned for great MPG. I'd leave it alone, but the engine swap makes it more drive-able. The change is quite a change on a Studebaker as with other cars. The front springs, brakes and diff are too small for much more power, so you should change them too.

Know that your wagon is one of a few and were very low in production volume. Also, many were run into the ground and few survive.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    [QUOTE I'm after the best mileage! Building a 57 Scotsman SW for Power Touring. [/QUOTE]

Pick one. Or pick the other. You can't have both.
    BTW, welcome to the zoo. How many Studebakers do you have? You're not allowed to have just one. Evidently.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Champion Member
    Yes I also have a 57 Golden Hawk, Gold and White and a 57 Packard Clipper sedan, Lavender and White. The Scotsman is Lombard Green.๐Ÿ˜€

Champion Member

My other Stude's

Yes I also have a 57 Golden Hawk, Gold and White and a 57 Packard Clipper sedan, Lavender and White. The Scotsman is Lombard Green and will stay that way.๐Ÿ˜€

Commander Member
    I too am building a distance cruiser 61 wagon. Currently 6cyl 3spd with 4.56 gears. Is it possible to squeeze out 30mpg with an overdrive trans higher gear rear? I have a 3.31 and a 3.07. But not sure if the 6 will even move the car with those gears.

Silver Hawk Member
    Building a 57 Scotsman SW for Power Touring. Am I over thinking this?
    Yes, definitely; the few miles these cars get driven, fuel economy differential is such a small line on the total expense, build what you want and never bother to calculate the MPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by (S) View Post
    Your car as built should get great MPG. Does it have Oerdrive? You could add that and see how it does.
    6cyl 3spd with 4.56 gears. Is it possible to squeeze out 30mpg with an overdrive trans higher gear rear?
    Thirty MPG only exists in the most fevered of CASO dreams. Real world driving at today's highway speeds, the flathead 6-cyl doesn't get any better MPG than does a V8 and the OHV6 only slightly better and with either of the 6-cyls you're stuck with no power.
    A 259 V8 with overdrive can be tuned for great MPG.
    A 259" with overdrive can be tuned for decent MPG, but nowhere near what we've come to expect from today's electronic EFI. Again, let go of that insignificant difference in total cost and enjoy the ride.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 03-02-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    PackardV8

Champion Member
    4.56 those are dragstrip gears! Based on what I've experienced, 3.31 is a good ratio without overdrive for your six. Either flat head or Skybolt will only produce around 90 to 112 HP and 145 to 156 torque. My tired 185 can get only 23 mpg at about 55mph and I have 4.11 with OD on level land. If I go faster I start losing mpg. My opinion would be to run 3.56 with OD. If you're geared too high you will lose mpg. If you geared to low you crusing speed will be slower. Lack of torque, that's the problem.

Champion Member
    Thanks. I hate to modify the car but the 259 seems to be a popular choice and has the power I want. The outside and interior will remain original. Including the painted dog dish hub caps ๐Ÿ˜. Lombard Green!

President Member
    Put a 3.73 rearend in a Champion (type 29) and it did fine. Highway speeds were no problem but if you are trying to keep up with bozos in hot rods with sb Chevies who think 'cruising is anything over 80 mph find some more law-abiding friends. Pretty hard to enjoy the scenery at 80.

My 52 Commander has a 259 with an Edelbrock 4 barrel, overdrive, and 3:54 gears. It has plenty of power and I have gotten 21 MPG on the highway. It will run faster than I am going to drive it and I have no problem pulling hills in the Ozarks.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Champion Member
    Thanks. I will probably cruise at 75 but want to do 80 when posted. I'm going with the 259 since all my feedback recommeds it!

Champion Member
    Great. I'll find a 259. Looking forward to putting this together. Thanks!

Silver Hawk Member
    I think youโ€™re going to love the 259. Itโ€™s always been my favorite engine for daily driving. And I used to run a highly modified 259 on the street with great success. When using it for commuting back then, I had 2.75 rear with a 4 speed trans. It cruised at speed nicely. Good luck. And have fun.
    sals54