Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

America's first post-war sports car, 1951 Crosley Hotshot (old Hemmings Classic Car article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's first post-war sports car, 1951 Crosley Hotshot (old Hemmings Classic Car article)

To clarify, the Hotshot began production in 1949.

sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Here's a '49 in the LeMay Museum in Tacoma:

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 02-22-2019, 06:55 PM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

Was the Crosley built before this considerably sportier 1949 car - (prototype built 1948)?

Last edited by jnormanh; 02-20-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Good question about the Kurtis car, with which Motor Trend recently purchased the exact car that they had tested back in 1949 for their very first issue of the magazine. As for claiming first post-war sports car, it may only mean that the Crosley Hotshot was the first mass-produced sports car. However, I am only guessing.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
          Was the Crosley built before this 1949 sports car - ?

I believe that Crosley started in 1939, but they may have been 1940 models. I believe that Crosleys were discontinued in 1952.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, you are correct in that Crosley offered automobiles for 1939, but they didnt offer a sports car until 1949.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              Good question about the Kurtis car, with which Motor Trend recently purchased the exact car that they had tested back in 1949 for their very first issue of the magazine. As for claiming first post-war sports car, it may only mean that the Crosley Hotshot was the first mass-produced sports car. However, I am only guessing.
              I guess "mass produced" is open to interpretation. Certainly more Crosleys than Kurtises. For Crosley roadsters, there were 752 built for 1949 and 742 built for 1950.

How about the 1949-1950 (to 1955) Imp with a fiberglass body or the King Midget starting in 1946 or the Playboy of 1948?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Here is a '39:

1941 truck.

Craig
                Last edited by 8E45E; 02-22-2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  Gary, you are correct in that Crosley offered automobiles for 1939, but they didnt offer a sports car until 1949.
                  Yes, Crosley did not offer a sports roadster until 1949, but they did offer a convertible in 1939 for 1940 (which is what the Kurtis/Muntz was).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Here is a 1951 Crosley Super Sport. The main difference between this and a Hotshot is that the Super Sport has doors.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Yes, Crosley did not offer a sports roadster until 1949, but they did offer a convertible in 1939 for 1940 (which is what the Kurtis/Muntz was).
                      Crosley had a short 1939 model year:

Craig

Comment

A Super Sport in the ACD Museum:

Craig

Comment

And a different 'no door' Crosley besides the Hot Shot: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/315324...ports-utility/

And MSN today doesn't give the Hot Shot a very high rating at all: https://www.science101.com/30-cars-t...been-built/27/

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 02-21-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I used to belong to a All makes vintage car club back in the eighties , We had a couple who had one and they drove that car everywhere. It was pretty quick. They also had I believe it was called a Sabre Race car. It was Crosley powered and he Raced that car until he was almost 90

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              I guess "mass produced" is open to interpretation. Certainly more Crosleys than Kurtises. For Crosley roadsters, there were 752 built for 1949 and 742 built for 1950.

How about the 1949-1950 (to 1955) Imp with a fiberglass body or the King Midget starting in 1946 or the Playboy of 1948?
                              I was simply responding to the OP about the Crosley Hot Shot being the first American postwar sports car. To call either it or the Kurtis "mass-produced" is a stretch. In fact to call the Hot Shot a "Sports Car" is a bit of a stretch. To call any Crosley prior to the Hot Shot a sports car is, well....

The 1948 Playboy might be a "sports car", but 48 HP makes it an anemic one at best. Whether the Playboy predates the Kurtis, I don't know.

To call the King Midget a "Sports Car" is preposterous. There are more sporting golf carts. The 7.5 HP Imp, sports car? Then so's my lawn mower.

The Kurtis, however, was most certainly a rip-snorting sports car. Chassis by the legendary Frank Kurtis, big brakes, hopped up Ford V8, top speed 140+ mph. First one built in 1948. It would have given the 1948 Ferrari and Maserati road cars a run for the money.

Comment

Working...
                              X