Views:	4
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1760108Click image for larger version

Name:	pickup-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1760044
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CampbelHawk; 02-28-2019, 05:48 PM.

Nice looking Hawk.
    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

I inherited it from my father who had recently bought it. He had had a 1963 R2 in his youth and bought this out of nostalgia. It came with a box of around 200 Studebaker Magazines from the 1980s--the owner in the 80s seems to have done the interior. It runs pretty well, but needs some brake work and electrical. Once I get it checked out mechanically I will see about painting. Where should I ask about car info--the plate in the engine bay said 63-K6 1997. It has the 289 2 barrel. Carb is a tiny carter, assume aftermarket? Has the full instrument gauge--tach works even. Fuel gauge and clock do not. Pretty excited about going to the local car shows/get togethers here in San Antonio.

Comment

Originally posted by CampbelHawk View Post
        I inherited it from my father who had recently bought it. He had had a 1963 R2 in his youth and bought this out of nostalgia. It came with a box of around 200 Studebaker Magazines from the 1980s--the owner in the 80s seems to have done the interior. It runs pretty well, but needs some brake work and electrical. Once I get it checked out mechanically I will see about painting. Where should I ask about car info--the plate in the engine bay said 63-K6 1997. It has the 289 2 barrel. Carb is a tiny carter, assume aftermarket? Has the full instrument gauge--tach works even. Fuel gauge and clock do not. Pretty excited about going to the local car shows/get togethers here in San Antonio.
        The number in the engine compartment is just the body model and number. The important number is the Hawk's Serial Number that is stamped into a plate on the driver's side A-pillar between the door hinges.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Found a SDC Membership card from previous owner in the car lol.

Comment

Congrats on the car. I too have a 63 GT Hawk from the original owner. My car is Concours quality; a big restoration job, and I drive it; a lot. Just recently sent to Ft Lauderdale for my visits there throughout the year. I am happy with the drum brakes so don't waste money on the Turner brake system; though it is a great addition, not necessarily worth the money if you just drive casually and remember you need braking distance. Those cast iron blocks tend to stay hot so might want to add an auxiliary fan to the radiator if you are often in stop & go traffic.
            The car cruises great at 60-70 & 80mph and does draw lots of attention; both on the road and when parked.
            enjoy the car and drive more
            MarkClick image for larger version

Name:	20171208_142834.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1725394Click image for larger version

Name:	20171208_142701 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1725395

Comment

That is a sincerely beautiful car--if I can get mine to look 1/2 that nice I will be happy. I look forward to fixing it up. Been buying parts... Mine actually has disc brakes up from--from a chevy apparently, they just don't work well--some previous owner did that along the way. Other than that she seems pretty stock. The upholstery looks like it was redone in a late 80s I am guessing--pretty good really. Dash is scratched up, I am researching ways to restore--considering having it painted or vinyl. Fuel gauge and clock aren't working but all the other gauges are good. How expensive will it be to get bumpers re-chromed and straightened out?

Comment

That is a sincerely beautiful car--if I can get mine to look 1/2 that nice I will be happy. I look forward to fixing it up. Been buying parts... Mine actually has disc brakes up from--from a chevy apparently, they just don't work well--some previous owner did that along the way. Other than that she seems pretty stock. The upholstery looks like it was redone in a late 80s I am guessing--pretty good really. Dash is scratched up, I am researching ways to restore--considering having it painted or vinyl. Fuel gauge and clock aren't working but all the other gauges are good. How expensive will it be to get bumpers re-chromed and straightened out?
                Disc brakes were an option on 1963 Hawks. Are you sure that isn't what you have?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, they are not studebaker--in fact the back/front tires have different bolt patterns (5x4.5 and 5x4.75), and the car has 2 different spares even.

Comment

I agree about the disc brake conversion not being worth the $$$,not a big difference in braking,better but not worth the $1200,My GT never overheats,in 20 years I've had it .Block flushed & rad recored helps.

Comment

Great looking car! 63 is the prettiest one in my book If your repainting it I would suggest removing the hood pins? I think the GT's are more about sporty elegance than muscle...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mch View Post
                        Congrats on the car. I too have a 63 GT Hawk from the original owner. My car is Concours quality; a big restoration job, and I drive it; a lot. Just recently sent to Ft Lauderdale for my visits there throughout the year. I am happy with the drum brakes so don't waste money on the Turner brake system; though it is a great addition, not necessarily worth the money if you just drive casually and remember you need braking distance. Those cast iron blocks tend to stay hot so might want to add an auxiliary fan to the radiator if you are often in stop & go traffic.
                        The car cruises great at 60-70 & 80mph and does draw lots of attention; both on the road and when parked.
                        enjoy the car and drive more
                        Mark[ATTACH=CONFIG]78837[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78839[/ATTACH]
                        What a beautiful car! White and red is also a great combo!

Comment

Yes, they are not studebaker--in fact the back/front tires have different bolt patterns (5x4.5 and 5x4.75), and the car has 2 different spares even.
                          No need to carry two spares. I've had several cars with different lug patterns front and rear. I always carried just one spare and an adapter.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I'm not sure how far you want to go on your brake issue, but you might want to pull the front wheel and rotor to see what was done to install "chevy" setup. I'm asking because there may not have been any modification that would keep you from reverting back to OEM or a Turner system.

I know because I converted my 54K to Camaro discs because I replaced my rearend with a GM corporate 8 3/4" one I narrowed. The Camaro rotors fit by using the Studebaker bearings and no adapter was necessary as the rotor bearing spacing was equivalent to the Stude. I just made a caliper adapter that bolted to the OEM spindle.

Sorry to go into the much detail but I did just to let you know a return to a 4 1/2" may not be all that difficult if it was handled like mine.

Avanti - Bob

Comment

Thank you—I will take a look at them.

Comment

Working...
                              X