1964 Super Hawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 1964 Super Hawks

I have a copy of the research work that George Krem did on Super Studebakers. I am setting up a spreadsheet with the information and for 1964 GT Hawks I have a question regarding the code key. Some GT Hawk engine #'s are listed as Snnn or nnnn or Hnnn where n = a number, some are listed as SH31 or SH36 or SH37 or SH38 and that is just the first page of 21 pages.

The data for the 1963 GT Hawks lists the actual engine number.

If you can help me decifer the engine # codes, please advise. My contact info is on the last page of Turning Wheels.

Peter Bishop, Director, Northeast Zone.
    Peter Bishop

I thought the Engine Numbers were JT, JTS, JTC, JTSC? followed by the Alpha Numeric DATE Code on '64's and a Engine Serial Number on '63's, NO? What am I missing?

STANDARD Hawk Engines would be "P" or "PC" ("C" for Canada.)

UPDATE: OH, I think I know which "List" that is, it's the one that left out the JT or JTS because they know they were ALL "Jet Thrust Engines" the ones with a "S" are JTS R2 Supercharged, the ones with no "S" are R1 JT's.

The rest of the number is the '64 Date Code.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-17-2019, 02:37 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studebaker documented the engine ID number codes in the Oct. 1963 Body Parts Catalog, page VI (maybe also in the workshop manual). The 1964 models were the only year in which Studebaker used this type of engine number, which really only identifies the type of engine and the date of assembly. For example: "JTK324" is the engine in my '64 Cruiser. The "JT" part denotes an Avanti R1 engine installed in a 1964 Lark-type or Hawk; the "K" translates to October; the "3" is the year (1963); and the "24" is the 24th day. So, 10/24/63 was the date of assembly of this engine. Note that there was no sequential-number part of '64 engine numbers as on earlier Studebaker engines.
      -Dwight
      Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 02-17-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
        Studebaker documented the engine serial number codes in the Oct. 1963 Body Parts Catalog, page VI (maybe also in the workshop manual). The 1964 models were the only year in which Studebaker used this type of S/N, which really only identifies the type of engine and the date of assembly. For example: "JTK324" is the engine in my '64 Cruiser. The "JT" part denotes an Avanti R1 engine installed in a 1964 Lark-type or Hawk; the "K" translates to October; the "3" is the year (1963); and the "24" is the 24th day. So, 10/24/63 was the date of assembly of this engine. Note that there was no "serial" number part of '64 engine S/N's, but we call it a serial number anyway.
        -Dwight
        Yes, but they are engine numbers, not S/Ns or serial numbers. The Serial Number is on the plate on the A-pillar (now used as a VIN).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So for 1964 the engine blocks were not individualized but lumped together by the date they were casted?
          Peter Bishop

Comment

No, not the date they were cast, but the date they were assembled and stamped.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

PeterHawk, I sent you a PM
              Mark

Comment

Working...
              X