Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAMBer finds Coupe Express Bed

FYI-

Someone on the Jalopy Journal found a Coupe Express pickup bed and was looking for help IDing it. People were able to help him, but maybe someone here might want to talk him out of cutting it up for a hot rod project:

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

I talked to him and let him know about the Studebaker addicts Facebook page. He did post it on there. He would be happy to sell it to a Studebaker enthusiast.
    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

From the Facebook post:

39 Coupe
      $950 - Savannah, GA

I've got a 37-39 Coupe Express bed with no tailgate or fenders. Sides and front panel pretty straight and solid, but does need some work. $950 OBO Brian 912 257 5333 in Savannah

sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Well, thru a round about manner I replied to the owner looking to sell this and will be rescuing it this Saturday to begin a "build from scratch CE". I have a 53 pickup chassis with Chevy running gear, and 2 - 39 4 dr parts cars already as the base. Plan to use the cab back part of an M or C (whichever fits closest) and go from there. I have a Phantom Champ pickup that was originally built by Rene Harger which is along the same lines. He started with a 64 Wagonaire and a 61 Stepside. By grafting the back part of the cab from the 61 onto the front half of the 64, he created a unique vehicle. I hope I can be as successful on this project.
        Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
        65 Cruiser
        64 Champ
        40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

Originally posted by ole 64 View Post
          Well, thru a round about manner I replied to the owner looking to sell this and will be rescuing it this Saturday to begin a "build from scratch CE". I have a 53 pickup chassis with Chevy running gear, and 2 - 39 4 dr parts cars already as the base. Plan to use the cab back part of an M or C (whichever fits closest) and go from there. I have a Phantom Champ pickup that was originally built by Rene Harger which is along the same lines. He started with a 64 Wagonaire and a 61 Stepside. By grafting the back part of the cab from the 61 onto the front half of the 64, he created a unique vehicle. I hope I can be as successful on this project.
          I think it is great that the CEs were beautiful enough (and rare enough) that this difficult project actually makes sense. Good luck with it. Post progress.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

If I may make a suggestion... If you're going to use a C or M cab for the rear, perhaps consider using the small rear window from the C Cab instead of the rectangle rear window that the stock CE uses. I believe a C Cab rear window would look significantly better back there then the little square one they came with. Just my opinion, though.
            BTW, I sure hope we get to see this project as it moves along. Very good luck with it.
            sals54

Comment

The original window is tiny!
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by ole 64 View Post

Would you please post pics of your Champ?
                I would be very interested to see what that project came out like! Also, please keep us posted with your project. It sounds intriguing.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The original 37 coupe express measures 73 inches and I believe the 38's and 39's are approximately 6inches longer.
                  Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Here are three photos from last year as we were replacing heated front springs and doing general suspension work. This is a 289 full flow engine and automatic transmission. Still needs alot.Click image for larger version

Name:	_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20170521_114612.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1725454Click image for larger version

Name:	_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20170521_142406.jpg
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1725453Click image for larger version

Name:	_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_IMG_20170521_142416.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1725455
                    Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
                    65 Cruiser
                    64 Champ
                    40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

Looks very nice!
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                      X