Thread: 61 Lark Windshield Gasket

Champion Member

61 Lark Windshield Gasket

Help!!!!
    Does anyone have any information on when they are going to start producing the gaskets for a 61 Lark two door sedan? I ordered one last June and nothing but bad news and the run around. My car is basically done and this is all I need.

Anyone happen to have one? Even used if it's in decent shape.

Thanks

Abad7d2

Studebaker International, Studebaker Parts.com and Stephen Allen's websites advertise a windshield gasket for a 1961-62 Lark for $120. Are they out of stock?

Found another vendor, Studebakerglass.com advertises the seal/gasket for $119.
    Last edited by Milaca; 02-13-2019 at 09:34 PM.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Champion Member
    Yep. No one has them

Champion Member
    How much of a difference is there from a 60 to 61? I know they are molded one piece but if they are close why couldn't it be split at the bottom and sealed back together? The rear is made like that

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abad7d2 View Post
    How much of a difference is there from a 60 to 61? I know they are molded one piece but if they are close why couldn't it be split at the bottom and sealed back together? The rear is made like that
    The Lark's cowl had a dramatic change between 1960 and 1961. I believe that the windshields and therefore the gaskets are quite different.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Champion Member
    I pulled up some photos and noticed that. Does anyone out there have one by chance? I have called every Vendor I can find on line and no one has them. Was just grasping for straws in hopes that someone had one

I wonder if Steele Rubber Products might have a universal bulk gasket that will work, at least until the correct one is reporduced?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

President Member
    You would think between the '61 and '62 Larks there would be sufficient demand to make those gaskets. I know the 1961 rear window (Non Cruiser) gasket has been hard to find for a long time.

This option is a good one. You could also check with a local hot rod shop and see if they know of a generic gasket that could be cut to fit. Those guys do magic after chopping a top to make the windows look correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dame View Post
    I wonder if Steele Rubber Products might have a universal bulk gasket that will work, at least until the correct one is reporduced?
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

President Member
    Anybody check with Valerie Hansen out of Nashville?

Champion Member
    Yes, she is the one who had all the molds to begin with and sold them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
    Anybody check with Valerie Hansen out of Nashville?
    There was a thread some time back about Valerie selling the company to another vendor, but she might sill have some stock.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Speedster Member
    Valerie's stock has been taken over by http://www.studebakerparts.com/
    I ASSUME they also got the molds, but Im not sure about that.

Champion Member
    Yes they did. Russ has them and is running into some trouble getting them reworked in some cases

President Member
    Just talked to a friend the other day regarding the windshield gasket for his 62 four door. He said that nobody has them, and the ones that had been previously available had seating issues. They were larger then the originals and could not be used. I don't know if the problem exists for all Lark types, just the for door cars, or just all 1961-62.

Champion Member
    Yes that is what I was told. The quality of the parts that Valerie was putting out was poor. The company I work for sells mold and die steel so I have been in contact with Russ to see if he wants me to help find him a source that can cut the molds

Blog Entries
    Ok, maybe I missed something here. I thought www.studebakerparts.com was Chuck Collins business?? I ordered some parts within the last 6 months...........but it's been years since I called on the phone to order from them.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    Ok, maybe I missed something here. I thought www.studebakerparts.com was Chuck Collins business?? I ordered some parts within the last 6 months...........but it's been years since I called on the phone to order from them.
    I could be in error on this, but I believe that Russ Ware is taking over Studebaker parts.com, even though Chuck Collins is still involved.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    Just talked to a friend the other day regarding the windshield gasket for his 62 four door. He said that nobody has them, and the ones that had been previously available had seating issues. They were larger then the originals and could not be used. I don't know if the problem exists for all Lark types, just the for door cars, or just all 1961-62.
    That would be a YES; all '61 and '62 Lark Windshield Gaskets, since all Models those years are the SAME.

Since S.I. and others have sold Hundreds of those William Fennessey/Valerie Hansen Windshield Gaskets for all the others, we SHOULD have heard by now if any of those were unusable I would think.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-15-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Just a thought: is there any way to renew the rubber gaskets for windshields? I am parting a 1961 Lark regal v8 four door with already out good windshields and back glass with the rubber gasket still attached to the glass? Car has been in dry Tucson. Last on the road in 1976.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

I don't know Bob, if you were to soak or saturate the Rubber with Silicone to soften it and install it, your Body Shop would not allow that Car on the property!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    Just a thought: is there any way to renew the rubber gaskets for windshields? I am parting a 1961 Lark regal v8 four door with already out good windshields and back glass with the rubber gasket still attached to the glass? Car has been in dry Tucson. Last on the road in 1976.

Bob Miles
    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator
    How about trying something like rubber lube, such as what is used on tires? I would try something like quite warm, soapy water first.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

If you look at any old used windshield gasket, you will likely see cracks and breaks in the rubber.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

President Member
    I don't know Bob, I have my doubts. Most everything I've seen come out of the Southwest had rubber so hard, brittle and cracked, that trying to save it seems futile. Up here on the west side of the mountains, in the PNW our rubber seems to survive much better. Having said that, in the old days when repop weatherstripping was unavailable, I used to upgrade my old WS by putting it through an alcohol bath. These were flexible pieces that had only a hard surface glaze. Almost immediately the solution would begin to turn black. Then just a little judicious brushing with a toothbrush would remove the top crusted layer. The bath would also soften and swell the rubber, much like the way transmission additives work on internal seals, and what happens to old, live rubber fuel lines. Do not leave it in the solution too long or the rubber will turn mushy!