Steering sector upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering sector upgrade

I would like to put power steering on a 1950 Studebaker champ and retro fit a intregro unit off of something?

Originally posted by Harold mueller View Post
    I would like to put power steering on a 1950 Studebaker champ and retro fit a intregro unit off of something?
    Since you don't have ANY power steering stuff, why don't you go with electric assist?
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

When in good condition and maintained, most lighter Champion 6 equipped Studebakers steer quite easily without Power, so really have little need.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Tire selection also has a LARGE part in steering effort.
        A set of Hankook, Optimo tires WILL...make a LARGE change in lightening the steering effort.
        I put a set on my Stude, V-8 powered Lark and was VERY surprised. Almost to the point of taking them off to try a different tire to stiffen things up a little. Even with a smaller diameter steering wheel, these tires allowed a single finger steering control. I just dealt with it, till I got used to it.

A LOT cheaper and easier to try before going to all the effort, money and work of changing all the steering.

Mike

P.s. - Well lubed, properly working steering gear also helps lighten the steering effort.

Comment

Have to underline what Mike said. Have the Hankook Optimos on two cars and am stunned by the delightful steering and rather nice handling. They made a big difference on my 50 Champ. Adding a rear sway bar on that car turned it into a very fun car on back roads.

Comment

I agree with the guys. My 1950 Champion has 205-75-15 radials and steering very easy.
            I keep my cars and lawn mowers well lubed. My lawn tractor really shows when it needs grease by the stiffer steering.

Comment

Working...
            X