Thread: first year for the 289 motor

Champion Member

first year for the 289 motor

Hi Guys, new member here. I would like to know what the first year for the 289 Studebaker motor was. I have a 55 Studebaker that originally had the 6 cylinder motor but was changed to the V8 289 buy a previous owner.

President Member
    I believe 1956 was the first year for the Studebaker 289 V8.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - Running, but not yet driving)

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Howard, I believe you are correct. They were standard that year in the Sky Hawk and President sedans.
    Last edited by Commander Eddie; 02-13-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

The 289 was first introduced for the 1956 "President" Year Models only, in Sept. 1955.

Of course that does include the 56H -(President) Sky Hawk.

It was FIRST Standard on Trucks in 3E-40 Transtar 1957 V8 Trucks.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Sorry guys but all are incorrect. The first 289 was offered in 1914. The last in 1926 (Special Six model EQ). It was a six 3 1/2 X 5." About time you guys learned a little about Studebaker history!
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    Hi Guys, new member here. I would like to know what the first year for the 289 Studebaker motor was. I have a 55 Studebaker that originally had the 6 cylinder motor but was changed to the V8 289 buy a previous owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    Sorry guys but all are incorrect. The first 289 was offered in 1914. The last in 1926 (Special Six model EQ). It was a six 3 1/2 X 5." About time you guys learned a little about Studebaker history!
    Yup......
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

I believe the OP said 289 V8...

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
    I believe the OP said 289 V8...
    Hi Guys, new member here. I would like to know what the first year for the 289 Studebaker motor was.

No it didn't.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Joe, the 289 in your '55 can be identified by year, if you check your Engine Serial Number against this starting Serial Number List and or post it here.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

President Member
    Good going Dick, educate by antagonizing, I love it. I have seen it often, I'll bet that you taught your class the same way. More people on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum need to know that Studebaker built cars before the war (WWII).

Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post
    ...people on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum need to know that Studebaker built cars before the war (WWII).
    Who knew? And I assume we're referring to a couple of great wars; as Studebakers first automobile came out of the factory just five years after the Spanish-American War.

johnny carson.jpg

Dick, now you know that was not the engine that Joe was asking about.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Silver Hawk Member
    As long as we're having a civilized discussion, who has the 289" V8 chronology at hand?

Yes, the 289" V8 was first introduced in Presidents in 1956, but it went in and out and up and down in cars and trucks through 1964. The 289" V8 seems to have been scarce in cars in the late 1950s. Were there any years when the 289" was not offered in cars? Didn't it become standard in trucks in '59"?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Speedster Member
    Hi Guys, new member here. I would like to know what the first year for the 289 Studebaker motor was.

No it didn't.
    So we could complicate this further by the use of the word "motor" rather than engine.

http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...ine-and-motor/

Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    As long as we're having a civilized discussion, who has the 289" V8 chronology at hand?

Yes, the 289" V8 was first introduced in Presidents in 1956, but it went in and out and up and down in cars and trucks through 1964. The 289" V8 seems to have been scarce in cars in the late 1950s. Were there any years when the 289" was not offered in cars? Didn't it become standard in trucks in '59"?
    jack vines
    In '56 thru 1958 289's continued in Presidents, Sky Hawks, Silver Hawk V8's, Golden Hawks, '57 Clippers and '58 Packards.

There were for all PRACTICAL purposes NO 289's in ALL 1959's and in 1960 Larks, only in 1960 Hawks Standard in USA.

Then in 1961, all Hawks and Optionally equipped Lark Cruisers had 289's.

In 1962 to 1964 they were optional in all V8 Models and Standard in Cruisers and Hawks.

Yes ALL V8 Trucks in '59 Only, had a Standard 289.

Of course all of this info is your normal USA Only, personal use only, non-commercial, non-employee or Executive "Specials" and exempting all other one-off oddities that do not matter because they are not "Normal", anyone could get it, Standard Production.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-13-2019 at 05:40 PM.

President Member
    Does that include the Scotsman truck in 59 ?

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    In '56 thru 1958 289's continued in Presidents, Sky Hawks, Silver Hawk V8's, Golden Hawks, '57 Clippers and '58 Packards.

There were for all PRACTICAL purposes NO 289's in ALL 1959's and in 1960 Larks, only in 1960 Hawks Standard in USA.

Then in 1961, all Hawks and Optionally equipped Lark Cruisers had 289's.

In 1962 to 1964 they were optional in all V8 Models and Standard in Cruisers and Hawks.

Yes ALL V8 Trucks in '59 Only, had a Standard 289.

Of course all of this info is your normal USA Only, personal use only, non-commercial, non-employee or Executive "Specials" and exempting all other one-off oddities that do not matter because they are not "Normal", anyone could get it, Standard Production.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Scotsmen were questionable, they could have been Standard with 259 and Optional with 289, the only way to be sure seems to be checking several Scotsman Production Orders to see if the 289 was listed as Optional.

That is because Trucks really have no Model Code to indicate 259 or 289 as the "Standard" Engine, a V8 is a V8.

President Member
    That's correct StudeRich, a V8 is a V8.
    JimsLeadCommander

Golden Hawk Member

No it didn't.
    It does if you refer to his entire post (#1):
    "
    Hi Guys, new member here. I would like to know what the first year for the 289 Studebaker motor was. I have a 55 Studebaker that originally had the 6 cylinder motor but was changed to the V8 289 buy a previous owner."
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Golden Hawk Member
    The engine number should be checked. 1955 259 cid V8s used a P code as well as 1956-1964 289 cid V8s.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

No it didn't.
    Actually....

I have a 55 Studebaker that originally had the 6 cylinder motor but was changed to the V8 289 buy a previous owner.

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    The engine number should be checked. 1955 259 cid V8s used a P code as well as 1956-1964 289 cid V8s.
    Indeed.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

StudeDave '57

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Scotsmen were questionable, they could have been Standard with 259 and Optional with 289, the only way to be sure seems to be checking several Scotsman Production Orders to see if the 289 was listed as Optional.

That is because Trucks really have no Model Code to indicate 259 or 289 as the "Standard" Engine, a V8 is a V8.
    The 1959 truck specification chart shows the 259 as standard equipment for the 4E2 Scotsman and "No Opt" under the optional engines column. That said, the company probably would (and probably did) build a few with 289s.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Here are all three pages of the 1958 Studebaker Marshal Brochure; PD 8065. Obviously, it was based on the 1958 Scotsman. In fact, the car pictured is surely a normal-production 1958 Scotsman 4-door the art department doctored up to look like a police car.

As you see, the 289 engine was standard equipment. (It probably had an electric blower motor for the heater/defroster, however....)

Click any image to enlarge:

Front cover:
    1958marshalone.jpg

First inside page
    :
    1958marshaltwo.jpg

Second inside page:
    1958marshalthree.jpg

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.