Thread: YIKES! Lest anyone think SDC is snooty...

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

YIKES! Lest anyone think SDC is snooty...

Check out the requirements to join and retain membershiop in The Sports Car Club of America when it was founded. Excerpted from today's Hemmings Blog; purple italics to emphasize the pertinent points.

Whew! BP

“The necessity for the existence of a sports car club in this country has become increasingly obvious during the last few years,” the club’s founders wrote in the SCCA’s first newsletter, dated March 1944. “The existing car clubs have concerned themselves entirely with the preservation of veteran motor cars, a worthy objective.

There are among us, however, those whose interests vary somewhat from this concept. The vintage sports car has now become sufficiently rare as to warrant an organization devoted wholeheartedly to its care and preservation. In view of this condition, the Sports Car Club of America has been founded.”

As the SCCA itself pointed out, the club’s rules at the time were rather stuffy. Membership was restricted to owners of sports cars who obtained sponsorship in the club from an existing member and whose acceptance into the club had to be approved unanimously by the club’s officers. Club members could be ejected for “voluntarily disposing of your last remaining sports car,” selling a sports car without going through the club first, sniping another club member’s attempted purchase of a sports car, or (a real concern given the scrap drives during the war) breaking up a sports car or allowing a sports car to be broken up.
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-12-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Golden Hawk Member
    In the 1960s, we ran quite a few SCCA rallyes and won a few and placed in many. We really stood out because our entry was either a Studebaker or a 1966 Dodge Charger. I still have one of the nicest trophies, a silver bowl. We were friends with a lot of the local SCCA members and enjoyed the after-parties.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

That's interesting given tight rules, how could a Dodge Charger 2 Door Sedan or ANY Studebaker be an actual "Sports Car" the likes of Jaguar; MG, BMW, Mercedes, Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche etc. ?

Even an Avanti was never actually considered a "Real" Sports Car.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    That's interesting given tight rules, how could a Dodge Charger 2 Door Sedan or ANY Studebaker be an actual "Sports Car" the likes of Jaguar; MG, BMW, Mercedes, Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche etc. ?

Even an Avanti was never actually considered a "Real" Sports Car.
    I never implied or suggested that either were sports cars. I wasn't a member of the SCCA. For their events, I believe that it was more a matter of collecting registration fees. Also, I was friends with many of the most active (position holding) SCCA members (all, younger and older than me, now deceased). I guess that their thinking was that we would not be competitive with them and they would just take our money. We proved them to be wrong.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Oh, I get it Gary, they just let you "Tag Along" for a Fee of course. Apparently they are not as serious about their "Sports Car thing" as I thought.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    Oh, I get it Gary, they just let you "Tag Along" for a Fee of course. Apparently they are not as serious about their "Sports Car thing" as I thought.
    That was in the 1960s and what Bob posted was in the 1940s. I am sure that it has changed since those years.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    That was in the 1960s and what Bob posted was in the 1940s. I am sure that it has changed since those years.
    It must have as I never found SCCA folks stuffy or unfriendly. I never was an SCCA member, but ran their TSD rallies with a number of different navigators and cars. I began with an Austin Healy Sprite, but toward the end of my rally "career" I drove a VW bug and finally a Saab with my wife as navigator. We were never asked to be an SCCA member and paid no more to run the events than those who were members. Our greatest victory was in a 12 hour overnight rally in the Raleigh area. We ran in a class that allowed only paper and pencil and no mechanical computers (this was long enough ago that it was before electronic computers). We placed first in class and scored higher than many entries in the two classes above us. We were elated and were treated like royalty because of our performance. All this was back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Sadly in our area such rally events are not held by any of the area SCCA chapters. I guess my point is that we always felt welcome despite our lack of experience and SCCA membership and only briefly competed in a sports car.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Obviously, things have changed dramatically since the club was founded. I just thought it amusing, the original concept.

Here's the complete article, in case anyone is interested:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/0...go/?refer=news

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.