Thread: Hood on my '63 Avanti

Speedster Member

Hood on my '63 Avanti

I had the hardware for the hood on my '63 Avanti powder coated, hood springs, the spring receptacles, hood latch mechanism, etc. All is fine & I like the look. Took a ton of pictures beforehand and installed everything just as it was. I'm a "little" gun shy about closing the hood all the way so that it's latched. If I've messed something up and if the hood won't pop up when un-latched, I'm in, as some would say, a "pickle". Everything lines up perfectly and it looks as though everything should work, but from my experience, if it works I'll keep working on it until it doesn't. The hood release cable functions normally so I think it should work. If it doesn't pop up, is there any "easy" way of un-latching the hood for a '63 Avanti. Should I just go for it, drop the hood, and hope for the best?
    -thoughts?
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

Speedster Member
    No problem. Refer to page 3 in the body section of your Avanti Workshop Manual. (You do have one don't you?)
    Look for and remove rubber plug in inner fender panel directly under hood lock assembly. Insert small screwdriver up through hole into small hole in lock operating lever. Press screwdriver towards center of vehicle 'til dove tail is released. Repeat on other side.

Speedster Member
    I do have the both manuals, however the room that I have to work with in my garage is almost non-existent. & seeing as we're actually experiencing winter here in the NW, I won't be thinking about backing it out into the driveway maybe until April. I think I'll just take a "wait & see" approach.
    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson