Thread: Dempsey Motor Car Co, Erlanger, KY

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar

Dempsey Motor Car Co, Erlanger, KY

I lived in Northern Kentucky (across the river from Cincinnati) for a few years in the 70's and again in the 80's. One of my friends there knew I was into Studebakers and recently sent me some invoices that one of their relatives had saved.

The series starts with Mr. Blankenbaker's purchase of a new 1930 Dictator Eight Sedan (I guess with a name like Blankenbaker he was obligated to purchase a Studebaker )...

IMG_0773.jpg

It was October 18, 1929. He got a $245 allowance on the Oakland he traded in. He opted for the wire wheel option at $12/wheel.

On April 22, 1930 he was back to the dealership to have a fender replaced...

IMG_0774.jpg

Then on July 8th, 1930, he had the carbon cleaned and the head gasket replaced. There is also a line item for 6 1/2 somethings. Any ideas?...

IMG_0775.jpg

On August 23rd, the dealership addressed the rear end noise Mr. Blakenbaker had been complaining about since the car was new...

IMG_0777.jpg

Looks like he treated the car to a wax job while it was down for the rear end. (and another of those line items for 6 1/2 somethings)...

IMG_0776.jpg

On December 11, 1931 he traded in the 30 Dictator for (probably) a new 32. He got a $575 allowance on the trade in...

IMG_0779.jpg

A few days later he had an Arvin Heater installed and antifreeze put in the new car...

IMG_0781.jpg

A neat story. Fun to visualize it happening.

If anyone has a Stude from this dealership or is otherwise familiar with it, PM me and I'll send these to you.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Could the 6 and 1/2 refer to quarts of oil, i.e. an oil change? It almost looks like the word "blue"...maybe a kind of oil? The line above seems to start with "lub..." ?
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Did they have "Sunoco Blue" gasoline in 1930? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    My father-in-law was a fan of Royal Triton motor oil which was described as being purple. If it is good enough for Marilyn it is good enough for me! Studebaker-related...I don't know if he ever had one. When he married my mother-in-law he had a REO. I wasn't present!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lRf6MuV7og

President Member
    Last winter we were vacationing in Clearwater FLA. I went into a antique store there and asked if they had anything Studebaker. The elderly lady running the shop said no But her daddy worked at a Studebaker dealer in Kentucky in the Thirties. He was paid Ten dollars a week plus commission for each car he sold. As it turned out she had several Studebaker toys , They were nothing spectacular and I pointed them out to her and she was very happy I did , Ed

The original Rislone oil treatment was blue in color.

Thanks for sharing those, BTW. Interesting reading.

Craig

President Member
    The $575 trade-in allowed on the 1930 Studebaker was slightly less than 40% of its $1,445 original price less than 26 months earlier. That seems like high depreciation. Perhaps the dealer used the Depression as an excuse.

Thanks for posting. It is a unique look, back in time. Labor to change a fender was $1.50, and to pull the head and clean carbon, $10.00. I agree with others here. The 6 1/2 must have been some type of oil.

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar

1930's Blue Flash Oil Company of West Virginia double-sided porcelain service station sign featuring attendant logo.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

WV is not that far from Cincinnati....could be the missing link...
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"